Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about next year.....

Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 8:14

I have some seeds of Joe Pye Weed and also some Bidens. I wonder what would happen if I cross polinated them.....
:P

hee!
D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about next year.....

you'll have some joe biden weeds!! Hee Hee LOL now that is funny!! **grin** ~medo

o

me....LOL

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 18:52

:)

Im still laughing myself silly....

o

• Posted by lgslgs z6 SE ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 20:06

Doris - just to let you know. You aren't going to be able to get Joe Bidens that way.

Joe Pye Weed and Bidens are different species so you can cross pollinate them all you want to but they aren't going to make any Joe Biden babies. Just like if you wanted to cross apples and oranges - just too different for them to make a love connection. :)

If you are interested in cross pollinating in your garden you need to have both parents from the same species. If both parts of their latin name match, cross away. If only the first part of the latin name matches, they might cross or might not - depends on how much difference there really is between them.

And if you are planning garden experiments to get yourself your own very special DorisL variety of something, you might want to consider selection instead of (or in addition to) planned crosses.

As an example of selection, I'm starting to make my own heleniums. I started with seeds from Helenium autumnale "Helens Mix". Every seed grown from that is pure Helenium autumnale, but they are individuals and each look a little different.

When one of them grows up to be an extra pretty favorite I can do tow things. Save seed from it and grow the kids - they'll all be individuals but should resemble mom plant to a reasonable degree. (But who knows, one of the kids might be even better.) Or since helenium is a long lived perennial that's easy to divide I could just divide my favorite and grow a whole garden full. All of those division would actually be identical to the mother plant because they are pieces of the mother plant.

Not sure if I'm blabbing on about stuff you already know. Just didn't want you to get your hopes up about growing a Joe Biden or an appleorange.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Helen mix heleniums

o

Dorisl made a funny! I like that.
jim_6b

o

LOL thanks y'all for this gr8 belly laugh :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here