Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynine60

recent post on rate & review

jaynine
14 years ago

It has been suggested that these seeds are from the same plant variety; the top being harvested from plants having 'perfect' growing conditions. In my opinion, it's clear they are completely different. You decide. This post is in reply to comments made on the rate & review.

{{gwi:33192}} {{gwi:33193}}

Comments (31)

• debbiep_gw
    14 years ago

If I was computer smart and I'm not whatsoever I would try to clear this controversy up about the snail/shell vine that the trader has.I have the same vine from this trader.It blooms lavender,when you do a search for it you can find it on other sites with the picture.Mine has not had seeds on it this year.I refer to it on my trade page as snail/shell vine.If someone would like to send me a link to a photo of it I can tell you if its the vine in question.This is not intended to start trouble but just to clear up the confusion...Debbie

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

The seeds look like two different varieties to me, and they are! I just checked Dave's plant files. Someone posted a pic of both seeds in the photos for Vigna caracalla. Well, I can't link because GW is blocking it. So go to the plant files and look for the pic of snail vine(small seed) and corkscrew vine(large seed) seeds.
    Remy

• ollierose
    14 years ago

The person you traded with is not to be trusted, I wish we had both realized it before we trade with that person. I'm with you Janine, the seeds are not the same.

• medontdo
    14 years ago

i think i know who this person is, and this person has really gotten me ticked for some reason, i think its because he passes himself as christian and yet he acts as if he's not. he lies alot. i have talked with another christian friend of mine, and he lied to her about her trade, took her for 30 pks of seeds. they pulled her post, wonder why?? ~medo

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Wow, I thought about responding for the corkscrew vine seeds he offers.

It took me awhile to figure out who you meant (somehow searching R and R with "Jaynine" didn't work out) but I finally got it.

Is there actually a rule that we can't name traders when we discuss the problem people? If we're just stating the facts, mentioning that there are a lot of people who have been cheated, and a few who got their trades just fine, isn't it ok to use his name? It's a lot easier to warn people off that way.

Instead, for now, I'll just say he's from Georgia. That should be fine, right?

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbiep identified the vine she got from him (jerryngeorgia31557) as Phaseolus caracalla from the 'other' garden website's pics. As far as I'm concerned the matter's settled.
    Totally off subject:
    I spelled out the other garden website's name in my initial draft & got a 'Spam Alert' message (to view it, just type the other website's name in the message box and click on 'preview message'). Am I reading it wrong, or does this message mean that if we refer to that site in any way on GW we'll be banned? If so, theoretically, this post could get me kicked out. Geez.

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I don't understand the drama with mentioning that "other" site either. It doesn't make any sense to me as that "other" site provides valuable information about plants that this site doesn't. I guess it's the similarities regarding forums and trading, but I still don't get it.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I don't understand the drama with mentioning that "other" site either.
    Try thinking of it this way, if you were on the Jenny Craig site, do you think 'they' would welcome, or allow you linking to the Weight Watcher site? Though GW is free, we might not make the same comparison, but the truth of the matter (imho) is that Dick's Garden (you know who I mean) is considered the competition by GW management.

I spelled out the other garden website's name in my initial draft & got a 'Spam Alert' message (to view it, just type the other website's name in the message box and click on 'preview message'). Am I reading it wrong, or does this message mean that if we refer to that site in any way on GW we'll be banned? If so, theoretically, this post could get me kicked out.
    I was really curious myself, so I went to the Test Forum and posted the name the 'real Dick's Garden' in the message box and hit Preview...no warning. I ventured farther and hit Submit...again no warning and it posted all right.

Janine, are you still able to post?

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just tried it in the message box below and got the spam alert again. When the spam alert message comes up, there's no option to submit message.

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

I got A spam alert too today when i tried to post a link to a certain plant database which is connected to the *other* site.

As for the ID of those seeds in that pic: There are 2 totally different species of seeds there! The big seeds are Vigna caracalla (corkscrew vine).

The little ones are either Phaseolus caracalla (snail vine) or, possibly, Macroptilium lathyroides (Another vine which is also sold/traded as snail vine, since it produces maroon snail shaped flowers).

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Testing dave's garden

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Maybe they fixed it. No spam alert for me either.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I spelled it as one word (I did it with no caps, no apostrophes) and just got the msg again.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

I just did that too and got the spam alert. Wonder why the difference in spelling? Strange since it is to two words.

• SusanC
    14 years ago

I think it is because the all one word spelling is how it appears in links to the site. When you spell it that way, it gets caught by a gardenweb filter looking for links to the site.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

That makes sense Susan, I didn't think of the links. I wonder if it works that way with other garden sites or info we would want to link to. I'm afraid to try it!! LOL I don't want to get ousted!!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

This may have something to do with problems that occurred on one of the other garden forums on GW that where directly and indirectly related to the "other site".

Ronnie, I'm sure you remember what I'm talking about.

Either way, there are many sites that don't allow links to other sites on their forums.

As Sue said, it's directing members from one site to a another site that is in direct competition of some sort with each other.

Fran

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Fran, would that be the Conversation side that no longer exists?
    jim_6b

14 years ago

Jim, I'll bet you're thinking about the 'wackos'...right?

Nope, not that forum.

Sue

• SusanC
    14 years ago

There was a bit of a brouhaha on the forum that begins with winter... last year(?) re: the other site. 'nuf said.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Jim, this garden forum on GW didn't have a conversation side,

Susan, I forgot all about that "problem" that occurred between the sites and the threads and posts went on.

Between last year and this past summer on the other forum, and just the basic linking to another competitor site, that explains the new spam warning we are getting now.

Makes sense and appears that the tech people of GW are moving forward with some software that wasn't here before or being used until now.

Fran

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I tried posting a link to gardenwatchdog and got a spam alert about a week ago. That was new as I'd always posted that link before. When did they put "the other site" on the spam list?

As for the original question I grow both and the small seeds are definitely snail, large squarish ones corkscrew. Unfortunately I rarely get ripe corkscrew pods even though I get loads of blooms. I posted pics of both flowers on one of J in GA's offer threads saying that they are easily identified when in bloom. He responded that his flowers looked like the corkscrew but there's no way those seeds are from a corkscrew vine, imperfect or otherwise! I never had a bad trade with the individual in question but was irritated by the note he enclosed with postage that he sent for one of my seed offers. If you want to contact me privately I'll explain.

If you are still looking for this in the spring I can send cuttings. It's already been cut back and is dormant.

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

WOW I LOVE reading these post, pages, rants and raves or what ever you call them. Since I am a newbie here it educates me a little

14 years ago

WOW I LOVE reading these post, pages, rants and raves or what ever you call them. Since I am a newbie here it educates me a little
    Oh wow Mikey...you have not scratched the surface on the rant here. Just search the forum here for chemocurl postage

You will find a lot of my rants as well as the rants of others who have been overcharged for over 1 1/2 years now.
    I know you can add to those threads too with your PO stories.

Sue

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Take a look at the new snail/corkscrew vine offer. lol

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can't say I'm surprised.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Sue,
    LOL!,
    Remy

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Hey Sue,

Can you pas me some of that popcorn.

LOL!

Fran

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

That's one big thing of popcorn! You've been munching on it for almost 10 hours now. :)

Lynda

• jaybirdy
    14 years ago

I just harvested some seeds from my yellow hibiscus and some of the pods that hadn't matured enough had seeds that were very small compared to the ones that had time to ripen correctly.People looking at them might say they belonged to two different plants. Couldn't this possibly be the case here? Personally,I don't think people should send anyone inmature seeds like that which probably aren't viable.I live in zone 5 .I tried growing shell vine a couple years ago.The plants bloomed;but never had enough time for the seeds to mature before the cold killed them.I think shell vines need a long growing season in order to set good seed.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area