Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coneflower, seeds from chaff, how to tell?

Posted by yotetrapper (riverat@hcil.net) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 13:48

I just seperated a head of coneflower but I cant tell the chaff from the seeds? Some of the pieces are two toned, white/brown, and other ones are solid brown. I'm guessing the solid brown is the seeds? Should coneflower seeds be seperated from chaff for trades?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coneflower, seeds from chaff, how to tell?

You might check the pics here for Echinacea.

There is also a Seed Saving Forum here at GW where someone can likely help.

Sue

o

Should coneflower seeds be seperated from chaff for trades?

As long as you let the other trader know they will be receiving chaff and seeds, most people would be okay with it. Communicate what it is and what they're getting. And be sure that you have seed in there. I received an extra envelope in a trade that was all chaff. No big deal since it was a bonus.

o

Hmm now i'm thoroughly confused. Dont look like that picture at all. Guess I'll have to plant it to know.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 25, 08 at 0:41

Echinacea seeds are the white pegs in between the brown spikes. It's a common mistake to think the brown spikes are the seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here