Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynine60

postage

jaynine
15 years ago

i just got a very nice email from a member who informed me gently that the small package i sent her arrived with postage due. has this happened to anyone else who has traded with me? please let me know!!

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi Jaynine,

Are you familiar with Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes , in case you are not mailing them from the PO?

Bear in mind too, that there are some PO across the country that are overcharging. It is possible that what you put on it was correct, yet someone somewhere with the USPS, was unaware of the rates and stamped it as postage due.

Sue...resident busy body.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sue,
    Yea, I looked up the postage charts on usps site. I just assumed that a small bubble mailer or regular white envelope with a thin layer of bubble wrap was 1/4" thick or less. it looks so thin!! i think that's what got me.
    I'm hoping that this postage due issue was a one-time thing, but like I said, if it HAS happened to anyone else who traded with me, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Janine

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

I've sometimes had that same worry, Janine.
    The whole 1/4 inch, 3/4 inch rule seems to be stricter in some post offices than in others. I have had some here in the city return things to me because of the size of the package and others not. I've also had some come to me with postage due and others not. Yes, Sue, you never know what one PO will charge.
    I always try to put over the amount required ... and don't know of anyone in my trades that has had to pay postage due.
    Usually I email my trades to find out if they arrived without any problems, but if anyone has ever had to pay extra on any of mine, then I'm with Janine, just let me know and I will mail you extra stamps.
    Peace
    George

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I used to put more stamps than required until I realized that I shouldn't have to pay more than retail price for something. I wouldn't go into any store and pay them more than what they were asking for the item.

I used to be afraid someone might get postage due, but not now. It's not MY fault if someone somewhere along the way at the post office charges incorrectly. I weigh and measure all my outgoing stuff now so that I don't underpay, but also so I don't overpay.

I wouldn't ask someone to overpay in sending it to me, either. If I get charged postage due when the correct amount of postage was on the envelope, then I will take it up with the post office, not the person who sent the seeds with the correct amount of postage. KWIM?

Blessings,
    Angela

• nuthatch_mo
    15 years ago

I get so frustrated with the Post Office. I mailed out 4 of the small bubble mailers with just a couple of packs of seeds last week. The one mailed on Friday cost 1.17 and the 3 on Saturday .83 cents each. Of course it was different people who waited on me. Mailed on on the 7th and was charged just .68 cents by another worker. I just pay whatever they charge, got tired of complaining, and being told by every one of them that they were charging the correct price.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!