Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sending seeds to Europe

Posted by ramazz 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 19:35

I received an e-mail from someone who lives in the Netherlands. This individual indicated that sending seeds to and from Europe did not require any special permits or forms to be filled out. I thought that it was illegal to ship seeds to Europe without filling out special forms.

Can someone please enlighten me? I am not sure that this individual has anything special, but I want to know the proper procedure.

Becky
ramazz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sending seeds to Europe

Hey Becky! I found this,hope it is what you are looking for,if not I am sure someone with the knowledge will be through here soon!Please forgive me if this is not what you need! ~ Angie:)

Here is a link that might be useful: federal register of rules and regulations

o
RE: sending seeds to Europe~1

Ok Becky I came up with this too! Maybe between the two of these you will get an answer! :)~Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to International trading discussion! :)

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 20:27

Hi Becky,
It is not illegal to send to Europe or Canada. There could be restrictions of certain plant seeds in some European countries. Australia has some restrictions. I can''t remember off hand exactly but it was like I could send tomatoes, not beans, lol. I've not traded with other places.
It is illegal to RECEIVE seeds from foreign countries unless you get a permit. You can take your chances and have them send a package without the permit saying something else is inside like hobby supplies, beads, whatever. They could get confiscated though so you are taking a chance.
I think it is silly that a permit is needed for seeds.(Plants I can understand.) It should be like Australia in that I wrote the Latin names on the pkgs. to ensure I sent legal seeds. Of course without a permit, someone is not making money.
Remy

o

I have traded to many countries in past years but only to Canada in recent years I have always had to fill out a form for the post office to attach to package.
Patty

o

Hi Becky,

I just completed a wonderful trade with someone from the Netherlands... probably the same person you are considering. I was concerned at first but I didn't have any problems sending or receiving. I didn't fill out any forms whatsoever.

o

The individual who wants to trade with me insists she does not need to do anything special when shipping me seeds. So I guess if I trade with her, I am taking a chance. I would prefer to do it the proper way and know I will get the seeds.

Becky

o

I agree Becky,I would want to be 100% sure on that I was doing everything perfectly legal, too. I think it is worth checking into to make sure you are well within the law! I am sure it is worth filling a few papers out to get ahold of some of the interesting seeds you can get through that avenue,
Good Luck! :)
~Angie

o

I've traded several times with Canadian and European traders. In all instances, both my trader and I filled out forms at the time of mailing indicating we were sending gifts of seeds with a monetary value of 0, and no packages were ever confiscated from either side.

I've also received seeds from Chiltern Seeds (England), Jelitto (Germany), and Dowdeswell Delphiniums (New Zealand) without a permit. But Gardens North in Canada will not ship without one.

kms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here