Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

This should be interesting

I thought it might be of help to urge those new to the forum to get things set up for either trading or just responding to seeds for postage offers.

I'm taking bets (just kidding kinda) as to how many packs of seeds the newbie who responds to my post will get to pick.

Check out my post. You veterans can easily find it. I welcome input also. Do you suppose the perfect newbie exists? I think so, if I post enough of those offers.

Do you think it is too overwhelming for anyone that new to respond? I think it will prove interesting and will be posting there how many picks are 'earned'

Sue...rbb

Comments (32)

• lgslgs
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yep, it's a little overwhelming - but it looks like an exciting way for someone who's really interested to earn some great seeds.

At my newbiest I would have felt really proud to earn a nice big bubble envie of seeds this way.

Lynda

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lynda for your input.

Really, with the exception of the location being included in with the garden zone, I felt everything else was fairly rudimentary. ...boy I have not had occasion to use that word in quite some time.

Do you think there might be a newbie or two or more that are busy setting up an email link, zone and location, and a want list so they can reply?

I'm sure going to be disheartened if/when if drops off of page one, with no replies. I forgot to add that I will be making similar offers in the weeks to come...so get ready.
    huh...I might have to extend it to 4 month or longer newbies.

I'll make one later that is open to anyone, and then we will see how it goes.

Sue

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Oh, Sue,

Just leave it to you to come up with this one. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens.

Simple stuff to do and unless something is different now than when "our old pal" you know who was running the show here, I didn't have any difficulty setting up all that stuff on my own.

Only thing that bugs me is wanting that e-mail addy to show for members to see.

You know how I feel about that and what my experience has been with it.

and it it isn't any different today either. I put the e-mail addy back up again and timed everything.

Wiithin 3 hours my inbox was full of spam. 8 hours later I had almost 90 full fledged junk crap. Until I put the addy up on GW again 2 weeks ago, I had no junk mail sent to me in about 4 months, since the last time I gave it a try.

I took it down again after 24 hours, and finally, as of today, the junk mail is down to about 4-8 a day.

Other than the addy thing, the rest is simple to do. Just don't understand why people don't do it.

Fran

Original Author
    14 years ago

Just leave it to you to come up with this one. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens.
    lol...I envision it slipping on down the page with no replies and then on to Page 2 pretty quickly.

Yes, Fran, I thought of you when I made that stipulation, but know that a lot of members when they make a seeds for postage offer, they require the email addy be unblocked. I figured this would be as good of a time as any for members to get set up that way.
    I honestly do not have a problem with email Spam and never have had. I often wonder about those members who have their set to be shown to ALL and then the addy appears in their posts, if they get a lot of email Spam.

I know it is so nice though in making an offering to get the follow-up replies via email and then to be able to reply to them without coming back to the thread. I forgot to check the box on that thread, but no biggie, since it is for just one offer.

Other than the addy thing, the rest is simple to do. Just don't understand why people don't do it.
    I don't think it is simple for someone new to GW. I can remember when I was new, but I was also new to computers, so it was really hard for me to navigate this huge site. I was a forum virgin when I stumbled on to GW.

Sue

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

"I was a forum virgin when I stumbled on to GW."

So was I, never been on a forum, or anything like it. It was total accident that I found GW.

Was searching for info on a plant for an elderly neighbor and the first thing that popped up was on GW.

I laughed the whole time doing this too, me the novice, computer illiterate, idiot, trying to use the computer to find out some info for someone else.

And there lies the story of how I found GW, and because of GW, I learned to use a computer really quick.

And of course, your help has made me far more proficient.

But, even being computer illiterate, I had no real problem setting up the info. Just read and follow the directions.

Where they different then, then they are now?

Fran

• kms4me
    14 years ago

Sue, as soon as I saw you were posting for an SASBE on the flip side of this seed trading forum, I had a thought you might be up to something.

You continue to amaze me girl!

In awe,

Kate

• bigred
    14 years ago

Well...good luck on that....your a brave woman...LOL

P

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

I have been on here from time to time and have had alot of very nice people send me seeds. Us newbies aren't as sorry as you make us out to be.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Us newbies aren't as sorry as you make us out to be.
    Ladycraft, I'm so sorry if anything I said led you to think that newbies are 'sorry'. That was certainly not my intention with my trade post or this thread. My intention was to urge or help those who are new or newer to the board get all 'set up'. Being well set up and following instructions helps both newer and older members get the most enjoyment out of The Seed Exchange.

It certainly makes it easier for all, if members have a Member Page email link.
    It makes it easier to an 'offering member' if they are getting the follow-up replies emailed to them if they can then just hit reply to the email as opposed to having to come back to the thread to email the responding member....thus the email setting I specified.

It helps those of us with seeds to share to know what a newer member is looking for...thus it is easiest if the member posts things they are looking for on their Trade list as opposed to just saying "I like everything" or Looking for everything".

It helps those of us with seeds to share if we know what the responding member's zone is, ...so why not get it set up inn the Member Profile so it will be shown on the Member Page, as well as it automatically being shown when the member posts?

It helps those of us who are answering questions or discussing plants and planting, here and on other forums, to know a persons location. My zone 6 growing conditions are maybe a lot different than zone 6 growing conditions in other parts of the country. The zone only refers to the average minimum low winter temp. This is assuming that the responding member will maybe enjoy GW and check out some of the other gardening forums, with both questions and input.

A lot of members start out as seed growers and traders and then quickly advance to The Plant Exchange. Knowing one's location is very beneficial there for numerous reasons....won't go into that now.

Part of the 'real' problem, imho, is that GW changed something a few years back, and when new members join, it no longer defaults to them automatically having a Member Page email link. Long ago, all new members automatically had an email link as opposed to the way it is now.

Lots of members, both new and old, do not realize that even though you email someone via GW mail, that the member name is not always automatically shown in the email....thus the need for an additional email just to ask...What is your Member Name? That is the reason for #9 in my post. All members should get in the habit of always including their Member Name in emails.

Anyway...that is just a few explanations of 'why' so many things are important. Not being set up and not following instructions (being a newbie, or an oldie) causes additional time/emails for other members.

Members with big Seeds for Postage offers can easily get very discouraged by members (new and old) either not being set up, or not following the terms of the offer.

Again, I'm sorry if my intentions were misunderstood. My intention was to help. Hopefully members, both new and old will maybe see/read my Seeds for Postage offer and get set up, if they aren't already.

Sue...who has probably had too much coffee already

• ollierose
    14 years ago

ladycraft - I'll vouch for Sue that she had no intention of suggesting that you or any newbie was "sorry." In fact, none of us are saying that any newbies are sorry. There are some out there that dive right in without understanding the capabilities of GW and it does make if harder for older members to help provide new members a really great GW experience. None of us and trying to say bad things about any of you, especially in a "blanket" form. We just want everyone to have a good time, share treasured plants and seeds, and share some gardening advice along the way.

Diana.....who really needs a cup of coffee, the soda ain't cutting it

Original Author
    14 years ago

That, in a nutshell, was what I was trying to convey.

Why am I so loquacious? Living alone? Living alone for so long? Not seeing many real people very often? Only talking via phone to friends or to my 3 furbabies?

Still no takers...If it slips off page one with no replies I will just close it in my traditional manner using big red bold. I may then try again later opening it up to any member...now that should prove interesting too.

Sue...off to pack up seeds

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Maybe it's just slow because the holiday is tomorrow. There's gotta be somebody out there though!

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

Looks like a nice gardener found your offer. Hooray!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like a nice gardener found your offer.
    Yes, I think so too.

I think I will try another one next Mon.

Sue

• tomva
    14 years ago

I think this is great it really helps me as a newbie understand exactly what I need to do instead of being smacked over the head with the yard-stick(BIG OLE GRIN)Thankyou Sue

Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Tom, you are such a pleasant enjoyable character.

Hey, if you think you might want to respond to my next offer, you better get in gear with your location in your gardening zone box and do something with that Seeds I'm looking for list. It's pretty pathetic...SMACK!

While you are at it, why not tell us a bit about yourself or your gardening on your Member Page Blurb....hint, hint, hint....SMACK again!

Sue

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Wooohooo! Tom took the advice and got his member page all in line! You're ready for Sue's next offer! Now you just have to be on guard for her next post.....I think I remember seeing something about next Monday further up on this post......hint hint!

Sue - Tom's post is just what we needed right? Now that proves that it isn't all in vain for sure! It is nice to see that some newbies take these posts in a positive light - just the way it's intended!

Diana :)

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Hey Sue, Is I still qualified fur n offer like that?? Or does receiving a seed pack converts me from a newbie to and oldbie? Durn ole typewriter them there keys keeps on stickin. Must be too much dirt therapy from the RESIDENT BUSY BODY!! Just kidding ya a little thar Sue. It is wasn't for sue, all thenewbies wood be in trouble, counting me, sue help out ALOT in my set up of the GW site and forum. THXS SUE

• medontdo
    14 years ago

Sue that was a great thing!! i hope alot more newbies do set up their pages better! as for someones thing on some newbies "i like everything" ya, i was there, ummmm..... do ya like thistle?? probably not, do ya like cockle burrs "sp> i bet not. ummmmm do ya like poison ivy? hmmmm..... i bet not, i know, i'm being ridiculous, but it helps, because if you told someone who took you at that and you said i like everything just send me whatever you want, he/she might get into that. ICK!!! or what if you don't get into vines and that's what they primarily have left?? it's something i learned the hard way, OR maybe a seasoned trader was teaching me a lesson. i learned from that point on, BE SPECIFIC!! **big grin** LOL so filling them parts out HELPS!! LOL **big smile** Sue is only trying to help you out, she is a very helpful person, trust me on that. she's one of the people who if you EVER have a problem, no matter what it is, you go to!! in fact her, Fran and a very few others(that i trust) fit that list. we were all there once "newbie> but the difference is, we try to lend a helping hand by passing on some of the useful knowledge that we've gained :'> **big smile** ~medo

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Ok after reading further I see why you all have the attitude you have. I would too. I should of realized that there are soooo many people out there begging and being ungrateful for what they get. I was involved with some very nice people last year that sent me lots of seeds. I didn't have seeds and got very nice plants from them. Germination was a lot better than the seeds I ordered from nursery. I did send extra postage because I was grateful. I still don't have but a few seeds to trade because most of them were perennials. I understand why you set it up the way you did. I understand they should do something to earn the seeds and I wouldn't send them if they didn't hold up their end of the deal. I know my page isn't set up completely. I took the email addy off because of the junk mail. I didn't have seeds to trade and wasn't looking for alot. I was happy to have anything I got but do understand it helping the person with the seeds. In the 3-4 pkts I got all of them were different and new to me. I will go check my page and add. I am at work right now and have to get off this site before they cut me off. Kathy

Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok...round 2. Tom, you there?

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

Sue - I really like the way you are doing these offers. It's fun sitting back and watching, seeing who puts the effort into meeting the requirements and seeing how many seed packets they earn.

Can't wait to see who gets today's offer. :) Go newbies!

Lynda

Original Author
    14 years ago

It's fun sitting back and watching, seeing who puts the effort into meeting the requirements and seeing how many seed packets they earn.
    Isn't it though. The first one I did was a newbie to seeds for postage offers, but she did quite well. After posting several times in the thread though, she forgot to give her member name in the email. Of course I knew who she was. Also, immediately after she mailed her BEAP she realized she had forgotten to enclose a return address label. She emailed me immediately though with a NEWBIE ALert! I had to chuckle at that. I'm guessing she will do quite well in responding to future offers or trades.

We already have a winner on this one...8 packs so far.

Original Author
    14 years ago

If anyone would like to make a similar offer, you are certainly welcome to copy the conditions of my offer, verbatim, if you like, or change whatever you want.

The second offer I changed it a bit from the first one.

Oh...the replying member 'earned' 9 packs so far. She included her member name first thing in the email, so it wouldn't be forgotten. I'm betting she gets the 10th one also.

Sue

• tomva
    14 years ago

Dag-gonit,Sue I see your a nite-owl..thats alright I will keep trying and Im gonna get all the packs of seed and I will be doin the happydance-happydance-happydance...TomVa

Original Author
    14 years ago

Dag-gonit,Sue I see your a nite-owl.
    Well Tom, what hour(s) are you most apt to be on or near your computer checking such things as your email and for posts? I can try and better accommodate you with my next post.

I'm slowly running out of the things I had in smaller quantities, but have added some cool (to me anyway) new things to my list and will probably be adding more as I see/find more seeds and spare time.

I have seeds in 3 different little bowls on the dining table and am not even sure what they came from. It's a case for Nancy Drew, or maybe later I can figure them out. If all else fails, I could just package them and call them Mystery Seeds and pass them along as a bonus. Anyone who was not limited on time, or space, could then grow them out to see what plants they would yield. I pulled off some asparagus seeds at a friends and stuck them in my pocket, never to be seen again....sigh

Sue

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I just posted another zany offer, with stipulations on how many picks (from my list) a newbie could make.

This time I added efforts to help familiarize those who are new to the Exchange, about the Rate and Review Forum and how if can be used to leave a nice review if one has received seeds from a Seeds for Postage offer. I notice oftentimes members will post a "Thank you" to the original 'offer' thread on the Seed Exchange, which bumps the often 'closed' offer up on the page. That often prompts others to post to the 'closed' offer because of not reading the entire original post, or any follow-ups made by the Original Poster (OP).

I'm always curious as to whether there will be a newer member adventurous enough to post to my offer with so many stipulations.

Sue

Rate and Review Forum
    Helpful tips in addition to the rather simplified Forum Instructions at the top of page one there
    Other tips for starting a review thread (if there isn't an existing one)If You Begin a New Thread make Title Name ONLY

• always_beezee
    14 years ago

I enjoyed following you latest offer Sue. Very well done. I hope it got your 'juices' going again.

Bernie

Original Author
    14 years ago

It was a pretty long and interesting saga, wasn't it? Yes, the juices are flowing again, and I'll post again, hopefully soon after fulfilling some previous commitments.

Sue

• always_beezee
    14 years ago

It was a pretty long and interesting saga, wasn't it?

Yes, it was long but the people are learning which is good. I noticed that the most recent one, the person got 8 of them right off the bat. Good job on their part.

Take care, Bernie.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm thinking that next time I won't put the number 1 in the Subject of Posting line...That way the thread might get opened more, even if it is just for 1 offer and it is closed....sort of a bait job to get my offers read by many, hopefully newbies, and get more of them on board. It used to be when you signed up to GW, that it defaulted to you having a Member Page email link. Then somewhere along the line, that got changed and ever since, there has been problems with no email links on Member Pages. Some post their addy in their post, which imho risks getting picked up my spambots, and I'd think it would be very inconvenient to look for a thread just to find an email addy. End of rant.

One of the members admitted to posting a review, and getting all stipulations met, while holding her breath that the offer would still be open, plus she had even put cooking supper on hold. I got a kick out of her telling about getting ready before posting.

• always_beezee
    14 years ago

If you want to get newbies involved what about getting the newest newbie. Let's say you have a rule that you will only take the first two newest newbie according to sign-up date and set a time limit of 48 hours. I wonder how many newbies would be scrambling to get everything in order to compete with other newbies.

Bernie

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA