Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kms4me

Story ideas--what do you think?

kms4me
15 years ago

This is in reference to my previous contest idea. I decided (1) to keep it simple but wide encompassing:

Tell us a funny story somehow related to gardening or anything outdoors in the months of November, December, or January. I know many of you have dormant gardens now, so it can relate to such things as chasing out critters, falling into the water garden when you thought the ice was frozen, falling on your butt in front of the mailman, getting frost bite on your ears putting up holiday lights (ok, the last four are up close and personal to me), feeding birds, new pets/childrens experiencing the winter weather, turkeys flying through windows, aliens landing on your balcony...Pretty much anything that occurs outdoors in the cold winter months (if you live in warmer climates, I will envy you but not hold it against you). Remember, we all need a good laugh, so please relate something FUNNY.

BUT.... PLEASE, NO PICTURES. If you post pictures, you will be eliminated from the competition. If you want to know why, email me directly.

OK, on to the judging. I posted here because I want Sue(Chemocurl) to help if she is willing to take on yet another task, other judges wanted, I am thinking a total of six, me included-- of course, you will not be eligible to compete if you agree to judge, and I am sure I can count on you for complete impartiality. I am still fleshing things out, including the prize, how stories will be judged, etc.

It's after 1 a.m. here, sorry if I am slightly incoherent, I think faster than I type.

Kate

Comments (17)

• kms4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No... just re-read that... I type faster than I think.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi Kate,

I don't like to think of myself as very judgmental, but would be happy to assist in judging.
    I guess you will need to consider a start and an end date...right?

My guess on no pics, is because not everyone knows how to link to one, making it a bit unfair, and others don't know how to post pics, and posting pics in a thread would make an otherwise long thread, even longer to open for those still on dial-up...right?...sorrry...I wandered on that one. Not enough coffee yet.

Sue...rbb

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Well I guess it depends upon the prize whether I want to judge or compete!! LOL just kidding of course!! I don't go out in the cold so nothing funny can happen to me...I will help out with the judging if I can. I love everyone here so I can be impartial...

Ronnie

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Great idea, in these hurried times especially, we need to slow down more and catch funny moments, thank you Kate.
    Sometimes wish there was a cam to capture it all.
    The other day, when I opened large (thankfully) garbage can, there on the top of chewed/opened bag stood a large turkey bone (carcass), stripped of every speck of the meat, the way fireants would do. Imagine a coon, getting into the can, lid closing, having a treat! Right on the curb side too, occasional traffic didn't bother him!!
    We thought it was funny, not very funny, but all I got to contribute now, eagerly waiting to read more from you all.

GB-Bea

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Yep, last year I was amazed at how fast the turkey carcass composted, untill I found the (like Bea said, completely stripped) skeleton under the pine tree next to the pile. :)

This year, I gave it to my dad to make soup.

• graanieb
    15 years ago

What we almost always did---made red beans soup, except freezer is more stacked up now that the hurricanes aren't a treat, plus there are more seeds there.

Imagine some of you having snow? Now, that can be lots of fun!!!

• kms4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, first off, I should've asked if you want to compete in the contest, not just assumed that you would be happy to judge. I'm sure you've got several funny stories in you! That's true of everyone who's posted here--I think the turkey carcass stories are great.

Ronnie, welcome to the judging panel, unless you want to compete. Let me know.

The prize will be 20 packets of seeds (you can look at my trade list to get an idea of what I have), I'm working on two different packages and thought I'd let the winner choose the one that is best suited to his/her interests, sowing experience, etc.

I'm hoping to get things finalized and get the contest going on Monday, December 8th, running it through Wednesday of the following week, December 17, then judging on Thursday and Friday (18th and 19th), announcing the winner on the 20th--I'd send out the seeds ASAP so the winner would have them by Christmas.

In terms of the judging, I think it's best if each judge uses their own criteria--whatever they think is funny. I would like each person to chose a best and second-best story, the second-best votes will be used as tie-breakers if necessary.

Oh, and the story doesn't have to relate to cold and snowy weather--just anything that happens during the winter months,so Southern gardeners please make us laugh!

Still looking for judges!

Kate

15 years ago

No, I don't have any funny stories that I can think of off hand. My youngest (furbaby) though has been dragging a deer carcass home for a week or so, one piece at a time. I wish I had pics of her with all the different parts. Once day it is a hind leg. The next day it is a front leg. The next day it is the rib cage.

Sue...who needs 20 more packs of seeds like she needs a another hole in her head....lol

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kms4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, what a cool dog--what kind is she?

Sounds like she's assembling her own skeleton, you could write a story about the Build A Deer Workshop going on in your yard!

OK, so Sue and I and tentatively Ronnie will be judges, halfway there. Anybody else? Any comments or suggestions about the contest will be appreciated as well.

Kate

15 years ago

Sue, what a cool dog--what kind is she?
    Thanks! She is a shelter dog and very smart. I found her on the net via petfinder.com shortly after I had had to have a furbaby put down due to a sudden health issue. She has been a blessing. She has a good bit of Chow in her, black tongue, curly tail, but doesn't have Chow hair, thank goodness.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that there was a deer laying in my field a short distance up the road. I don't know how or why it was there...remains of someone butchering their deer, or a road kill or what. I never went to check it out. I guess it might be that one she is dragging home one piece at a time. Maybe I'll go check it out one of these days, when I get caught up a bit. In the meantime all 3 furbabies are enjoying what she drags home. She is the only one I see carrying parts around.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Sue that is such an awesome picture of Kylie,she really is a beauty! :)

Kate since I am drawing a blank on stories, if you will have me,I would be happy to be a judge,I can be impartial for the same reason as Ronnie,I like all of you! And come Monday I will have a little more time on my hands. :)
    Even though you are hosting this, I am hoping you will be sharing stories,you have some good ones! :)

• kms4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, we need two more judges...

Angie, I have lots of stories, and I'm sure you and everybody else here does as well. Since the stories will be judged by the panel, I don't see a reason why the judges can't submit stories themselves, just to add a chuckle or two, though of course they won't be considered in the contest.

What do you think about that?

Kate

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Kate,
    I'll be a judge if you like. I have many funny embarrassing stories(my whole life has been a series of unfortunate accidents, lol,) but none are garden relate. If you had maybe a moving/tearjerker garden story contest, I have a shot at winning -something to think about for anther contest.
    Anyway, I think my humor meter is pretty good : )
    Remy

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

Cool Dog!! I'm in for judging!! Gotta run though, but I'll keep checking in...

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Kate,I totally agree that the judges should be able to share their stories also.I personally would not want to be deprived of some of the good ones I know you,Sue,Remy and Ronnie have! ;)

I will check the thread at least 3 times a day once it is posted. I am really looking forward to the stories,I could use a good laugh as I am sure many others could too! This is an awesome idea Kate,thanks for thinking of us! :)

"Anyway, I think my humor meter is pretty good" -remy
    Remy,I sure think so,it has been you that have me rolling out of my chair quite a few times! ;)

• kms4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm working on the final details. I thought I'd announce the contest on the Seed Trading Side but actual hold it on the conversation side of this forum-less chance to get bounced, I think.

I would still like one more judge, but if no one has volunteered by the time I post this info (probably late tonight, we're getting LOTS of snow here now and it's gonna take me a while to shovel our long, wide, driveway!), we'll go with five.

Ronnie, Remy, Sue, Angie, would love to hear stories from you all!

Kate

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Kate,
    I'm looking forward to the contest!

Sue,
    I don't know how I missed the doggie pic before! She's a beauty. That is too funny about the deer parts.
    I don't think I told you I got a new dog this summer. My Creton died of cancer: ( I didn't want to get another dog, but Sammie was very sad and lonely. So we got Charlie who Sammie just loves! He was a special foster dog kept out of the shelter and in a home. He was supposed to have problems.After we had him home for a few days the SPCA called to check on how things were going. I told the lady everything was great, and she said a truly skeptical "Really?" I believe she was worried we would return him which sometimes happens with the special dogs. Well, he truly has ended up being the most well behaved, well adjusted dog we've ever owned, LOL.

Angie,
    Glad I've made you crack up. : )
    Remy

Sponsored