Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Hairy seeds ID

rosepedal
16 years ago

Hi Everyone I received some seeds the size of castor bean seeds with brown fuzzy hair all over them. The package says convolous morning glory but I dont think that is what it is. Any ideas????? Thanks

Comments (13)

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Pink Fuzzy Bean or moldy castor bean?...lol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    There are morning glory type flowers with fuzzy hair all over them. Ipomoea macrorhiza and ipomoea pandurata are two that I have. I don't know what species you have. You could post over on the vine forum. Ron, an expert, sometimes checks that forum. He hangs out more on the MG forum at Dave's if you happen to be a member there.
    Remy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks I will look those up. I never seen anything like them. Barb

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Hey Barb,I sent you some, hopefully, useful links! :)

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hi Rosepedal, I have seeds for a tree morning glory that are hairy and fuzzy but they are not the size of a castor bean but they are slightly longer than a regular black morning glory seed. I checked my convolous morning glory Ensign seeds and they are small and pyramid shaped with rounded corners, definately not hairy. Do the seeds in the pic in the link below look like the seeds that you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree morning glory seed

• kathynms
    16 years ago

Hi all; it's a good chance those seeds came from me. I sent out some in several sase's. It's one of my favorite plants. I am supposed to have a picture of it here somewhere, but can't find it. It has a tendency to get quite leggy if you don't keep it trimmed back, but is well worth any effort. The seeds look exactly like the ones in the picture, with the penny, and are quite large. The flowers are a beautiful pink, and quite large. kathy

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Those are the cutest seeds!They remind me of little Cousin It's...lol...

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI Kathy,
    I wonder if it was you. It was when I was a newbie and never thanked you properly for them. I deleted your email and could not remember your GW name. Please accept my apology. I always felt bad about that. I am glad you came forward. Thank you for all the wonderful seed you gave me. After looking them up I dont know if they will grow in zone 4 WI though. They sure are pretty flowers. That sometimes is a problem living so far north there are so many flowers I cannot grow that all you wonderful gardeners can grow. Didnt you move ? How did it go? are you all settled in ? Barb

• kathynms
    16 years ago

Hi again, everyone. They really are interesting seeds. I got mine a long time ago from Nancy, known as GardenGhost. Does anyone know what happened to her?? If so, please let me know. Rosepedal, you are very welcome for the seeds. We are still working on our new house, but it shouldn't be much longer. I will be starting over with my yard and garden, and am trying to be optomistic about that. lol. Say, I have a picture of the Convolvus (aka Morning Glory Tree) here. Let me see if I can put it in here. I absolutely love this plant! :>)

{{gwi:33733}}

• medontdo
    16 years ago

do they smell pretty?? they are absolutely gorgeous!!! :'))

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    Garden Ghost became ButterflyChaser and was active on the exchange until the time when GW updated and had all kind of glitches like now, but worse. Do you remember that? Was it late least year or early this year? Anyway, there were no notes on the tops of the pages like now and some people got all freaked out and some had melt downs and fled. She was one of them.

Your bush Morning Glory is beautiful.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflychaser Post about Oldies

• kathynms
    16 years ago

Medontdo, thanks...mine did not have any smell. Remy, thanks for the link about the oldies post. I have been gone from GW for quite some time, except for just peeking in now and then. So, reading the posts sorta took me back in time. I recognized a lot of the names. Sometimes, it got a little "heated" back then, and I managed to stay out of the "cross-fire" for the most part. lol. I, too, miss a lot of those folks; had some good trades with many of them.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    Lol, about staying out of the cross-fire. I was always good too. I liked Spike; he was always nice to me. Of course many people didn't feel the same way.
    You know what really took me back, someone brought up that wayback machine site once. I went looking around. There are a few old pages from gardenweb saved. The forum list is so short, and of course it was even shorter, but those pages are gone. Another thing about the old days, looking at that wayback site, so many people used actual names like we do.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayback Machine GardenWeb Archived Pages

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor