Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
totally off topic...

Posted by lindaruzicka Z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 14:09

this is totally off topic but I thought I would run it past you guys. There was an article in the paper today about a former sailor setting up a wedsite for service people who are in the area and don't have anywhere to go for Christmas dinner. This would be due to either going to or coming from overseas, waiting for orders and things like that. I've been debating about calling and inviting one or two members to come to dinner...anyone ever do that before?..."curious"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: totally off topic...

In my hometown there was a soldier that had just got back from Iraq and was a single guy who had moved here to work as a police officer. His parents live far away and are in a nursing home so one of our close friends invited him to their christmas dinner.

Think about it for a second...

As long as your family is ok with it, what a memory you could make in a service man or womens life! Think of our current vets and the stories they tell about coming home to see ribbon tied on trees and american flags on people's garage doors. Thirty years from now are you going to remember what you had for christmas dinner? I bet you will always remember the time you invited a soldier that is far away from home to share your christmas dinner though, And I bet that soldier will tell the story to their grandchildren someday too.

Talk to you family, I think this sort of thing needs to be a family decision but what an increadable thing you could do if you decided to invite them.

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 12:21

I think it is an excellent idea! The holidays can be quite lonely for those in the service that have no particular place to go. Even those that are on base and can only leave for a short time (say for dinner) because they have guard duty, etc. I think it would make a special holiday for them if you did that. When I was in I had three (out 4) VERY lonely holidays because I could not make it home. It would have been such a treat if someone would have shared their holiday with me.

o

Hi Linda,
i think its a perfect idea!! we all know bevsc, she's a real sweetie, she has a heart of gold, well i've gotten to know her a little bit, and i never have met anyone like her, i swear this!! she has (i really hope she doesn't get mad at me, but i am soooo amazed at her!! **big smile**)
she has thanksgiving dinner and invites people over that don't have a place to go, like her friends and stuff like that. how amazing is that?? my family would freak!! they'd pick them off slowly!! but then again, maybe that's how i see them, ya know. because i know them. i think its a great idea! you are so kind!! Hugs ~Medo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here