Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiggin

How would you handle this....

dirtdiggin
15 years ago

As a fairly new GW trader, I would like to ask how any of you would handle this....

I requested one type of seed from another trader. That trader wanted multiple, so I sent out about 8 types of seed (wasn't worried about a one for one and just filled a basic request with multiple types...the numbers were my own decision) and I never heard anything. So about two weeks later, I saw the person post the same seed again so I emailed asking if they had received my seed and if they had sent theirs to me.

Received a response back, no haven't received your seed, but I sent mine to you. Then about a two days later, another email saying "oops didn't send mine 'cause you didn't give me your address". So I forwarded the email that I had sent (that this person responded to and at the bottom was my address) showing my address. I asked them to please keep me posted on receipt of the package.

Four weeks later...have still heard nothing, still this person continues to post for more seed and has yet to send the one type of seed for my trade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to R&R cause maybe the USPS did actually lose the package...but I sure feel lied to. Would be the first (so far) lost package that I've mailed...and even though I'm fairly new, I've sent a bunch.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (14)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Does the member have any reviews? How many?
    Is the member fairly new, or judging from the reviews, maybe new to seed trading?
    Doing a search on their member name here at The Seed Exchange, have they been actively trading for a good while?

Received a response back, no haven't received your seed, but I sent mine to you. Then about a two days later, another email saying "oops didn't send mine 'cause you didn't give me your address".
    My 'guess is that this member either is lacking some in keeping track of all that goes along with seed trading, or has just taken on too many transactions at once, and is likely confused.

I would suggest posting to their thread, asking if the seeds you mailed on fill in date had arrived, and if your seeds had been mailed yet, and if so, then what date. If they fail to show up within say 2 weeks, I'd likely be tempted to leave a negative review, just stating the facts of what has happened, and let it go at that.

I would not, if I were you, send anymore seeds until you have received what was promised to you. If you do mail again then, I would do a delivery confirmation on the bubble envelope. It would be worth the extra cost to know that they did indeed arrive. I would maybe limit the # of varieties sent, given that you have had to mail twice and the trade was so lopsided from the start.

I do not believe that seeds were lost twice...what you sent him/her and what he/she sent you.

btw...I noticed you have racked up 10 very nice reviews in your short time trading here. Congratulations!

Sue

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ya know, Toni, i'd go ahead if i was you, knowing how you trade, which is very fast!! i know that you send out quick, so she/he has gotten their seeds more than likely, you could post your review, and say your opinion, and say that if they do send their end of the trade then you will post that OR you could ask the "powers that be to take it off" i have done that 2 times and they have done it both times. :'> ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener **big grinn** :'}

• bigred
    15 years ago

I use my yahoo addy just for seed/plant trades as it has a trade tracker feature. When I've come to an agreement and the moment I mail my end,I send the email thread(w/all the messages and responses) to trade tracker were I can go back and reveiw info in case something goes wrong.Once I put my end of the trade in the mail box,I send message"Mailed 12/4/08". The message(s)stay in the trade tracker file until I recieved my seeds,then I email back,thanking the other person for tradingthen I delete thread. I've only got one left in the trade tracker and it's at least a year old. From post on R&R about this person,I never expect to receive anything but I'm too stubborn to delete it*G*

• dirtdiggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I think maybe this person has taken on a bit too much as a newbie and has lost track. At least I'm hoping that is the case, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt as I'm fairly new as well and have fallen behind with a couple of trades that needed additional attention for digging, drying etc. So, before I jump to R&R I'll give another couple of weeks and see what happens.

bigred, that's a great way to handle trades. I've finally had to resort to creating a spreadsheet in excel, just to keep track of it all. Hehe thought I could keep track on a notepad....NOT! LOL Gotta have the search feature hehe.

Thank you all again :) I greatly appreciate input from others especially seasoned traders :)

• pic_it_up2005
    15 years ago

I'm still new here and I'm not sure this is even looked down apon but maybe they are a "backyard farmer". someone who grows alot of the same plant and sells it at roadside stand or farmers market.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Dirtdiggin,
    I think you are bieng to nice, lol. Even if they did get confused, which truly could of happened, it would of been straightened out by now.
    I would post directly to their new posts as Sue said. If you don't hear back, you could write directly to the traders who posted to the thread to warn them, and then if you don't hear anything, leave a negative review.
    I once posted to a new thread when a trader didn't sent. They acted like they would get right back to me on the thread so to look good to the other traders. Now this was for plants, and they did not get right back to me, so I contacted all the traders. Lucky for me they were all people I've traded with before. Well, they all backed out or asked for their half first. Guess what? I got my plants : )
    Remy

• dorisl
    15 years ago

"Guess what? I got my plants : ) "

And THIS how why we all got to watch each others backs and you guys shouLD NEVER feel bad about posting non-accusatory factual information in a (review especially) thread, it gives the rest of us a heads up and gives the other person NOTICE that they cant get away with funny business here.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

exactly!! and if you ever want to know if a certain person is no good or not, ask these woman and agirlsgirl and jaleeisa!! i think they have all traded with tons of people!! i've traded with them all except sue!! she scares me!! **big grin** NOT!! LOL :') ~Medo

• dirtdiggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, after being completely ignored by this individual, I posted to this person's current thread which is actually asking for much of what I sent (blindly) and not by request. Just stuff I sent with a request of veggies etc. Can't help but think it's a way to CHA (his instead of your lol) covering his... Anyway, I also sent email to the one responding to the post and explained...I hate this :o/

If no response on my return Monday, I'll email one last time...will then after a week (it's been over 4 now) post neg R&R. Don't want to, but don't want to see fellow traders messed over either.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Dirtdiggin, I saw your post and it was very well done, very kind, especially given the time you've waited. It also kept me from responding since I have many of the items he's seeking. As mentioned, this is why we have the rate and review and we all watch over each other. When you have such a HUGE group on the honor system, we have to watch out for each other :)

Michele, LOL, now you're grouping me with the "big gardeners"! How flattering!!!!!!!!

Kathy

• rb55
    15 years ago

Hi Toni
    Being new here also I must say I have been pleased with all my trades so far. Yours was prompt and more than generous. Posting about a trade gone bad after putting a fair amount of effort into correcting any problems would be acceptable in my opinion. It is best to just tell the story as it happened. Let those who read it draw their own conclusions. Like you said maybe the PO lost something. I have one ongoing trade that has taken some time but I am as much to blame for that as anyone. I told her to not be in a hurry since we were discussing other trades. And since we live in the same state it only takes a few days for them to arrive. Not going to start seed until mid/late March anyway.
    Keep up the good work Toni. This is the best seed trading site I have ever found and more users like you are appreciated.

Roger

• medontdo
    15 years ago

well your welcome Kathy!! i think you have earned that!! you are one of thosse people that keep up on info really well, i don't, but i do keep up on some things, Hmmmmmm......what are they again??? dang!!! i done forgot!! **giggle** LOL
    i do have one i have not gotten to, but we have an ongoing one, i am scared to get started on it!! i think, its kinda like opening pandora's box!! LOL it may never end!! **giggle** and tom will be so happy!! but i'm doing all of them tomarow, there's nothing but them tomarow.
    today was my neice :') ~Medo

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Dec 4th you wrote,"If no response on my return Monday, I'll email one last time...will then after a week (it's been over 4 now) post neg R&R. Don't want to, but don't want to see fellow traders messed over either."

Did you receive your seeds yet? Hope so. If not I look forward to you doing a negative review on him/her, stating the facts so others will either not trade with them, or ask that they mail first.

Sue...rbb

• bigred
    15 years ago

Hmmm...not quite sure how to take that "backyard farmer" statement 'cause I guess that's what I am but I don't do "a lot of a few varieties" I do LOTS of a lot of varieties...ornamnentals,grasses,natives,ferns,hostas,veggies,herbs,trees,shrubs ...you name it,I'm probably doin' it*BGG*

Peggy

Sponsored