Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w9yards

new to seed saving

w9yards
15 years ago

I must admit I have never saved seeds in my life! After joining this forum I thought I would look in my yard to see what I could find so I could actually do trades. My first plant attempt was japanese eggplant I read to let it ripen on the vine longer than usual, so I left one on the plant for seeds. Of course a gopher ate the plant before the eggplant was ready. Then I thought I would save some pepper seeds. I read up on it and saw they needed to be bagged for best results since I had so many types. I couldn't save the pumpkin seeds because everyone wanted to eat them! Then I read up on pink crape myrtle and checked my trees. Success! The seed pods are just now opening up so I have a tupperware full! I also harvested seeds from my garlic chive! Moving on I checked the purple stattice but didn't see any seeds, only flowers. It is dark now so today's adventure is over. I am sure my husband will laugh when he sees my day's harvest, but I had a great time and learned something new. Thank you for all the seeds I have received for SASBE from generous members. Next year I should have an easier time finding seeds in my yard!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting