Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

Post office question - not postage price related

lgslgs
14 years ago

Have any of you folks had slower than usual transit times for your envelopes or packages recently?

Just after Veteran's Day I sent out a few things and they all took longer than expected - including a priority mail package that took almost two weeks to go from Ohio to New Hampshire.

I was curious whether this is a temporary local thing, an Ohio thing, or whether some of the post offices are experiencing work slow downs. A Google news search mentioned that in the same time frame there were announcements that the USPS released a list of which post offices or processing centers might be targeted for elimination in the future.

Just curious if any of you enthusiastic seed mailers have had changes in mail transit times starting around or occurring during mid-November.

Lynda

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

All my bubblies coming and going arrive in a fair amount of time ie 1, 2, or 3 days, and the same with packages.

including a priority mail package that took almost two weeks to go from Ohio to New Hampshire.
    That almost sounds like it might have accidentally got in with the Parcel Post stuff. You never know how long that stuff will take, as it is determined by volume I'm told. It is first in, first out when there is availability on trucks after the mail and packages going at higher rates.
    Was it in an actual Priority Mail Box? If not, it could have been mistaken for Parcel Post.

A BE I mailed from IN to PA last Wed arrived on Fri. Not bad since Thurs was the holiday.

Sue

• medontdo
    14 years ago

actually two traders sent off their seeds last week, and they got here monday, they were sent off i believe it was the week befor, it was well enough of time!! another trader said she sent hers off well over two weeks ago and i still have not recieved it. i say "holidays" ????? **grin**

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

I mailed a bubble envelope out to in state here Ohio to Ohio.
    Took 9 days to arrive.
    I mailed out 2 bubble envelopes here from OH,on Nov 25th.
    One person received theirs a few days ago.
    I have one envelope to arrive yet to GA.
    I emailed the person to email me as soon, as they receive their envelope,it was being mailed to GA.
    I would say say the mail is running slow.
    Ohio mail must be getting slower nowadays.

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Poppy_power, it's good to know that Ohio actually is slow right now.

I did a trade to GA, and Ollierose's package got to me very quickly while mine to her (sent on the same day) was embarrassing slow!

Hubby is very concerned because he's sent a package to South Africa recently and after two weeks it's still not there. I guess we'll wait a week or two until we panic seeing just how slow the mail is crawling through Ohio.

Lynda

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Here's the link as clickable.

From the article, it sounds like mail is just slow to be delivered, like it should be delivered by 5 PM, but due to the new automatic equipment sorting the carrier's mail, and longer routes it isn't being delivered until maybe 8 PM. Is that progress or what? I wonder how many carriers lost their job over that 'progress'. With longer routes, fewer carriers are needed.

What a mess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glitches slow mail service in part of Ohio

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hubby just got a note that his package to South Africa arrived. Whew!

Funny how that sorted itself out so quickly after posting about it here. I wonder if Poppy_Power's bubbly will reach it's new home today too. :)

Lynda

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

Lynda,
    Glad! your Hubbys' package arrives in S.africa.
    My hubby talked to one of the postal workers,looks like
    job cuts on way for some postal workers.
    I am glad! medontdo, received her seeds from me for sasbe.
    I told her to email me when she received her seeds and she did.I mailed medontdo and Jerryngeorgia the same day Nov.25th.
    Jerry, as of a few days ago hasn't received his seeds yet.
    I told Jerry to let me know when his seeds arrive?
    I hope his seeds he sent for sasbe arrives soon.
    I always am prompt mailing seed trades here on gweb and with sasbes I offer.
    Keeping my fingers crossed the seeds arrive soon to Jerry.
    Hopefully!the mail will be back to par soon.

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting news on mail in Ohio. A local discussion forum has a bunch of posts up today asking whether people in the area who get social security checks are experiencing delays.

Apparently quite a few people who are used to receiving checks at a standard time each month did not receive checks as scheduled this month. Some have checked with their post offices and being told that there are postal delays.

For some of the people in the three nearby counties (very economically depressed area) things will be very tight this weekend.

Lynda

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

That explains alot for delays in mail.
    I would rather go direct deposit if I was retired.
    Our area here, is one of the economically depressed areas.
    Use to be good jobs in the surrounding areas.
    More people laid off and factories closed.
    Lynda,I enjoyed! browsing through your flower photos
    on your member page.
    Karla

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor