Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy!

Posted by pufftrinket 5MI (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 20:27

Hey, this looks like it could be fun. I participated in a secret Santa trade, and a couple of SABE trades. One of my new garden buddies even poste a positive review.

I have begun keepign track, and I am wondering.... do most of you write down when you begin an email conversation about a trade, or only when you actualy send the envelopes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy!

Hey, glad you're getting into the swing of things, friendly place makes it more fun and addictive.
What I've been doing, saving e-mails on our trade arrangements, print 2 of each, send one out in the trade, mark SENT on your copied email, or write notes.

Happy holidays,
GB-Bea

o

Hi Puff! I do both. I use a spreadsheet to keep track. The info I keep on each trade are in the following order:
Initial Contact
Finalized
Trader ID
Trader Name
Trader Address
Receiving From Trader
For From Me
Mailed
Received
Good Trade?
Notes
Rated?

Notice that I do keep, for my own records, whether I consider it to have been a good trade or not. This is a simple "Y" or "N" space. In the notes I'll add notes on things like communication, speed of mailing, delays (if any, because they do happen from time to time to all of us), if the seed amount was adequate (a hard one because as long as I get enough seed to start something, I'm usually very happy!)and that I make note of whether or not I've given them a review in the rate and review forum. I only have three on my log that I considered "bad" trades for whatever reason, and I've change the font color on that entire trade line to red. I use colors along with the info to give me "info at a glance" For me, black means the trade is in progress. Blue means complete and in good order. Red is a bad trade. Grey is a trade that we dropped, either the other trader or myself, for some reason. Purple is a trader that I need to re-contact because it's been more than a week since I was told they were mailing. My notes area will contain something about the reason for any color change, and that info will remain regardless of whether the color changes again or not. In the notes I also include whether everything promised was mailed and any extras or bonuses they sent me. If it's a SASBE or BEAP, that info is listed in the "For From Me" section.

Sorry, probably more info than you wanted or needed, but I have so much fun working with my log! To me it's easier to use the colors as well as the text. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas on how to keep track of your trades from everyone here. Every time this topic comes up, I learn something new!

Kathy

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 4, 08 at 8:56

Kathy! OMG YOu are going to need to hire staff to keep that log up to date! That reminds me too muchof work. :)Im challenged just to update the trade lists.

I Just keep the email in my inbox until the trade is done. I did make a folder for seed trades in OE, and move emails in there when their done, and found I use it only to retrieve an address occassionally.

I also made a folder for SASBE requests, since Ive got some of those going. When they're done, Ill move it to the trade folder and prolly never look at it again.

o

Thanks for the ideas! :-)

o

I can't even keep my seeds organized..."L"..."working on New Year's resolution"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here