Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trading seeds & learning too

Posted by akup_a 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 21:55

I'm not only trading seeds with wonderful people, I'm also learning all about plants as well. How cool is that! Since I'm new at growing things, I have to research the plants to know them. And I just thought I'd swap seeds.
Vickie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trading seeds & learning too

And then the soil, and compost, and bugs, and diseases, and... it goes on and on. When you get really bitten, you'll search out propagation methods outside of seeds. I've got my rack set up in the basement. Anybody want a butterfly bush? I've got about 100 rooting. I wanted to prune it so I could move it with less stress. I couldn't stand to see all those "limbs" go to waste. So I made cuttings.

Yeah, it starts with seeds. LOL

o

And I just thought I'd swap seeds.

It is only a matter of time before you are maybe growing out saved seed from hybrid irises and seeing what all the 'children' look like. Possibly something worthy of being registered.

Or crossing Daylilies...or trying one's had at hybridizing Daffodils...my ultimate challenge. I'd love to hybridize one, well actually several and name and register them.

Then one might decide to grow an heirloom tomato or two as opposed to just buying whatever plants are available locally. Did you know there are approximately 10,000 or more different varieties of tomatoes. Did you know them not only come in red, pink, and yellow, but also in orange, white, green when ripe, purple, brown, striped. Yes, I am an admitted tomatoholic.

Striped Stuffer

Doesn't it look like a stuffing pepper I thought it was so cool.

Sue

o

Oh my goodness, Sue! What a tomato! I've never even grown one common tomato!

Vickie

o

Oh Vickey!!! Beware there are sooooo many enablers on these pages....Sue being one of the biggest LOL.

OK Sue just had to pick on you since you were the first one to send me seeds :)

Kim

o
Speaking of enablers

Ok Vickie (sorry about the earlier spelling)...if you haven't sent for a BEAP or SASBE yet, I would like to be your first enabler. Send me an email. Kim

o

OK Sue just had to pick on you since you were the first one to send me seeds :)
Really? Whoo-Hoo...I didn't know that. I wonder how many other seed virgins I was maybe the first to mail to. I'm thinking I was pumkingals first sender.

Sue...off to start a new post about seed virgins and enablers

o

Ohohoh....and then there is the exciting world of wintersowing!! I just went there to see what everybody was talking about. I was hooked by the time I had read the third post- LOL!!

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing forum...beware, it's addicting- LOL!!

o

Kim: sent you an email. Thanks for the offer. No problem about the spelling.
Vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here