Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Seeds with a story/history

Posted by ajm11 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 4:18

I am looking for seeds with a personal history. My goal is to create a garden full of stories, tales, and photos of horticultures past and publish them.

I am working on a photo publication in which I am growing out heirloom varieties that have been passed along with a story. I want to overlay the photos of the grow out with the stories of the seed. Anyone that has such seeds or old photos that I could archive would be of great help to my project. I am happy to assist with SASBE's or postage. In return you will receive a digital copy when I am finished.

Background:
As many of us thumb through seed catalogues this time of year, we find ourselves thinking of days gone by and seeds that have been saved

Since I was a young boy there was always one type of seed my grandmother and I would save every year. It was not from anything to special, just an ordinary Jack O Lantern pumpkin. While the seed could have been had for cheap at any feed store, it was something my "Mee Maw" and I did every year. Every spring I would pull our that mason jar and plant a few of the seeds. Some years we did better than others but what mattered was that constant connection to our past time together. It's stories like these that I would like to document and pass on to our future generations.

All plants will be grown on my farm in Muskogee, OK. Any seed I can save will be passed back to the original sender or forwarded in trades on GW.

I am planning to grow out any variety of seed I receive and create a photo diary full of how that seed came to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Seeds with a story/history

Sounds like a great adventure. We all need to get back to the love of gardening and share those experiences with our family and friends. I save and share seeds and plants when ever I can but most of these is now in the past. I have read many of the histories of others here so you should get so great stories.

o

This thread deserves another chance on page one so I am bumping it.

o

Not sure if you're looking for flowers, but do a search on GW for "Yvonne's Salvia", this might be a good candidate for your project.

o

This may seem like a silly question , but here goes.
Do you mean personal to the member themselves
or for example mortgage lifter tomato named for saving the farm? craw beans first found in the craw of a game bird being prepared?
Thanks,
Gwen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here