Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: How long are seeds good for?

Posted by melanie0529 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 14:10

I was a member of this forum 10 years back when I owned a home and enjoyed it so much. I even still have some of the seeds. Not sure if they are still good or not but I have them. :-) We moved to florida and recently bought another home finally. So know I am looking to start up on the exchange again but don't have any new seeds. I have the others but it has been so long ago. Do you think they are still good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: How long are seeds good for?

I do germination tests on old seeds. Just wrap them in a wet paper towel, put in a plastic baggie and set in a warm spot. If they require a period of cold stratification set them in the fridge after you put them in the baggie and before you place them in a warm spot. If they haven't germinated in a couple of weeks, toss them out. I use 10 seeds which gives me an easy way to measure the percentage of good seeds.

o
RE: WANTED: How long are seeds good for?

I wouldn't suggest trying to trade seeds that are that old.

Why not fill out your Member Trade list of what you are interested in growing, and then respond to some of the many Seeds for Postage offers.

See link below. Might as well say you are a 'newbie' since you have been away for so long and not actively growing recently.

Welcome back! What 'was' your previous name? Maybe we traded before.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2012-13 - packs available

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here