Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephene_gw

WANTED: Pop-up things

josephene_gw
9 years ago

Anyone else getting irritated with these?
How can we let gardenweb know just how bothersome
They are?

Comments (10)

• vaflowernut
    9 years ago

Me too, I had to close out of a pop up at least ten times trying to read just one post. It's getting to be very annoying.

• soilent_green
    9 years ago

If you mean the pop ups when you mouse over a green highlighted word, you need to turn off or disable scripts. I use Firefox browser in which I installed a disable scripts add-on. All I have to do to disallow scripts on GardenWeb is to click on the script icon. The browser remembers which sites are allowed and which are disallowed, and I can reset by simply clicking on the script icon again.

The only problem with doing this is that GW is a free site to members so the only way they can generate revenue is to do advertising. But IMO if they are going to be obnoxious about it then people have every right to do what they can to avoid it.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Download Adblock. I've never seen a pop up or underlined words, since.

I use Firefox but there are Adblock downloads for all browsers.

Here's Adblock Plus for Firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

One thing I'd recommend is that the adblock program you install is at the main website for Microsoft or Chrome or Firefox. Once I downloaded what was supposed to be Adblock for Firefox but not on the home page for Firefox and it was a virus. My virus program did block it though.

Dax

• Wood Sprite Gardens
    9 years ago

I use adblocker plus in Chrome, plus a java script pop up blocker, that is a self working button in my tool bar.

I never see ads so much, that I forgot they actually exist in some places.

Why doesn't Gardenweb, just have a "donate to support us" paypal button hanging around, so people CAN donate, what they want, if they want.

I bet most users would donate at least $5.00 a year, just as a thank you to them. $5.00 x 50 users = $250.00.

I know there are WAY more than 50 users of Garden Web.

Maybe they need one of those goal thermometer things, to show their running expenses, and meeting or exceeding those goals, sort of like crowdfunding.

Just some thoughts.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Thanks to this post I was able to disable it on my computer. It has been bugging me for a few days. Appreciate it!

• Nancyej10x
    9 years ago

I emailed the garden web and got the following instructions to disable the pop-up ads. The instructions worked for me.

You should be able to opt-out of the in-line texts by following these instructions:

1. When you're on a GardenWeb page, hover your cursor on the double-underlined word, but don't click it. You will see an advertisement open in a pop-up box.

2. In the upper-left corner of the box, click the 'V' logo. A new browser window will open the Vibrant in-text advertising page.

3. Scroll partially down this page, and click the 'Disable' tab. Click 'Click here to disable.' The page should update to now say 'Click here to enable.'

4. Close the Vibrant in-text advertising browser window, then once you refresh your main browser window the Vibrant in-text advertising should disappear.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I'd definitely recommend Adblock. It will help with other sites, as well.

• nottougly
    9 years ago

I just downloaded Adblock for Internet Explorer 7 and so far it is working.
    Thank you so much for this information.
    It was really getting annoying.
    Faye!

• lovesblooms
    9 years ago

Thank you, Nancy!

• josephene_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe gardenweb read my message.
    Haven't seen a pop-up for two days.
    Yea
    I sent them a message earlier this week.
    That may have worked too.

Don't like to explore on the iPad, am still a newbie.
    Jo
    Thanks for the info will pass it on to my h.