Houzz Logo Print
leilahamaya

HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 4

leila hamaya
9 years ago

we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions.

(We will not list you if you are missing things.)
Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must 'show to members' on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--'Seeds only' adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--'Plants too' adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/.
Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate and Review forum.

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will
(me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a 'Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE' thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 18:21

Comments (37)

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Technical Help for Newbies

To make your state & zone show next to your screen name:
    -Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom left of this and every page on GW),
    -Then click 'Edit Your Membership Details',
    -Add your state to the 'Garden Zone' box.

In that same place, you can:
    -Add a 'blurb' about you, your garden, your overall interests and plant preferences.
    -Select option to "Show my email address to: Members".
    -Check the box for "Allow others to send you email from your profile page".

To make/edit your wants list:
    -Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom of this page in grey box),
    -Then click 'Edit Your Exchange Lists'.
    -Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list (much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

another way -
    if you are currently logged in and go to:
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/
    it will also bring you to the page where you can edit your preferences and fill out your have and want lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shortcut to Member Pages

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

Honorsyaya zone 4-5 (general wants, climbing roses, perennials)
    Queen-Gardener 5 OH (flowers, bulbs, daylillies, iris)
    yooper_at_heart 4,Mi (vegetables, tomatoes, herbs, pollinators )

Zone 5:

Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly)
    Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
    xXMackXx zone 5 makenziejordyn@yahoo.com (public charter school - donations - edibles - soup kitchen)
    filigree zone 5b (edibles, flowers herbs- see want list)
    TJP8 z5 (perennials, dwarf fruits indoors, bonsai, aquatic plants, exotics, hot peppers)
    FortunesFool 4-5, OH (veggie garden, flower beds, gardening advice from veteran)

Zone 6:

scobbs416 z6 se PA (heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
    Artax97 6 MO (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
    Mizzteek 6 MA (perennials, yard rehab)
    Jane269 6 / 7 WV (fruits, herbs, veggies, bushes, fruit trees, flowering trees)
    Mar_121 zone 6 Kansas City Missouri (lilies, succulents, flowers, herbs, container)
    jeannie75 zone 6 (general wants, flowers, pond garden, tomatoes)
    PattyOK1982 zone 6 (edibles, veggies + flowers)
    falldaisies zone 6 (flowering bulbs, artichokes & blueberries dwarf fruit trees indoors/citrus)
    hopefull742 zone 6 MO (heirloom tomato, shade tolerant, vegetables and flowers)
    TNKim 6B (heirloom seeds, veggies)

Zone 7:

SweetGardener 7b VA ( help from a veteran, new lawn , container gardening)
    ichigogo zone 7a (fruits, berries, nuts & vegetables, edible perennials, edible flowers, edible landscapes)

Zone 8:

janetg2244_ zone 8a new mexico (gardening advice from veteran, greenhouse/indoor fruit, tropical plants + trees)

Zone 9-10:

smokey28777 z10 (flower garden)

* see their member page or previous thread for their want lists

also McRose, if you are anywhere around, we need an email address so people can contact you. i removed the name from the list, but will put it back on if you add your email to your member pages.

everyone else's seem to be working, except for xXMackXx, who has put his email on his post. it would be better if you go to Member pages and add your email address, and check the box for allowing other members to contact you.

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 19:19

• boggardner
    9 years ago

Hi guys I am excited to be back on Garden Web after taking the past two years off to focus on the MBA and buying my first house. Because of these activities my garden and subsequent seed stash took quite a hit. With just finally moving into the house this Sept I'd love help with flowering perennials or perennial herbs, and any veggies that might do well with winter sowing. Essentially I can use everything :-)

Thanks I advance if someone can adopt me!

• jennybe123
    9 years ago

Hello all!
    I'm a newbie and just moved across the state from everyone I ever knew, so I don't have any friends or family close to me. I'm wanting to start my first garden in my new home but don't have a lot to spend to get one started, so any help in that department will be very much appreciated. I'm interested in herbs, veggies and flowers. I like heirloom and old fashioned stuff and I live in zone 6 Arkansas

• MichiganBMosh
    9 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners. My family and I are new gardening, Only one real growing season under our belt and I would love to have a sponsor, not only to establish an inventory of seed to plant, but also someone to knock ideas around with and get some experienced advice from. Thanks in advance and best wishes.

• dawn1972
    9 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners,
    I have this past year had a little success with gardening. I want to grow more veggies so we can eat more from our garden. My main problem is getting the seedlings to live after they have sprouted. I love gardening of all kinds whether it be flower, veggies,etc. I have a very very small amount of seeds I purchased last year. I tried collecting seeds from what I grew but I don't know how viable they are until I plant them this year 2015. I have joined a few seed swaps in hope of getting some seeds. So any info/seeds would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Dawn
    dawn 1972

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks newbies, for being awesome about getting your emails and locations/zone set up =)

note - some of you have your email set up to "show to everyone".
    that is, of course, fine if you prefer this, but what this does is place your email beside your name on every post. if you would rather just have it on your page, you can change that to "show to members"...then it wont broadcast your email with every post...but will still be accessible to the GW community peeps on your page. like i said is fine if you prefer it that way, but just figured i would explain that in case you would rather have it just on your page....

updated the list:
    Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

MichiganBMosh z 4b Michigan (establishing seed inventory to plant, experienced advice from veteran, homesteading)

Zone 5:

xXMackXx zone 5 makenziejordyn@yahoo.com (public charter school - donations - edibles - soup kitchen)
    TJP8 z5 (perennials, dwarf fruits indoors, bonsai, aquatic plants, exotics, hot peppers)
    FortunesFool 4-5, OH (veggie garden, flower beds, gardening advice from veteran)

Zone 6:

Mar_121 zone 6 Kansas City Missouri (lilies, succulents, flowers, herbs, container)
    falldaisies zone 6 (flowering bulbs, artichokes & blueberries dwarf fruit trees indoors/citrus)
    TNKim z 6B (heirloom seeds, veggies)
    BogGardner z 6 (new house, perennials, herbs + flowers, cool season veggies)
    Jennybe123 z 6 (first garden, herbs, veggies, flowers, heirloom, old fashioned)

Zone 7:

ichigogo zone 7a (fruits, berries, nuts & vegetables, edible perennials, edible flowers, edible landscapes)
    dawn1972 z 7 N.Ga (veggies, edibles, flowers, assistance from veteran about seed starting/harvesting)

Zone 8:

janetg2244_ zone 8a new mexico (gardening advice from veteran, greenhouse/indoor fruit, tropical plants + trees)

Zone 9-10:

* see their member page or previous thread for their want lists

• rastoma
    9 years ago

Hello all. Very new to gardening in general. We had some tomatoes, bell peppers and jalepenos turn out really well last year. My wife is wanting to try some superhot peppers and I'd like to get a few that are fairly easy to grow.

I know me stating we grew jalepenos last year and then asking to go to superhots may be a concern for some :) But while we haven't had actual superhot pepper pods themselves, we have tried many sauces and salsas based on Ghost Peppers. And she can eat wings caked completely with Dave's Insanity Sauce and thinks it has the kick of ketchup.

She's half vietnamese and also loves the flavor of the small thai chilies and vietnamese peppers to eat raw with a meal.

So anything anyone could spare would be greatly appreciated.

• winter15
    9 years ago

When will the seedpacks be mailed out to the newbies????

• katjaqu
    9 years ago

My goal is to garden for sustainability and be more self-reliant. I am looking for edible and medicinal plant seeds to create a healthy NON GMO garden and seed bank. I'm also planting to feed and support the wildlife in my area as much as possible. I have made a few trades here on GW. This is a wonderful website and the people have been very supportive in helping me get started. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much to all!!
    Kathy

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi winter15

it depends on when someone adopts them. sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it is quick, so patience is definitely needed.
    please read the opening post on this thread, hopefully that will explain the method.

we list the names of people who want to be adopted and when older veteran members feel like it, they can adopt whomever they choose.

no one is compelled to have to participate, theres really no guarantees, but it has worked well for many people.
    but of course theres more people seeking adoption than there are who are adopting, but theres a lot of generous members here who will adopt multiple people at once.

----------------------------------->>>>>
    Posted by winter15 5 (mousehouse1953@gmail.com) on
    Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 2:35

When will the seedpacks be mailed out to the newbies????

• naia1
    9 years ago

Hello!

I'd like a veteran to adopt me!

I'm new to gardening and GW. It's my second season in KY and gardening on my own. My goals include growing gmo-free, healthy food to feed my family, my community, have edible and medicinal plants for medicine, have seeds to create a seed bank, help contribute food and habitat for local wildlife, and to help others do the same.

I've updated my exchange list and enabled emailing. Thank you for offering this connection and I look forward to being adopted!

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange list :)

This post was edited by remyo on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 11:25

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Herbatologistt and MarthaP, your seeds should go out next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. Please post here that you received! Enjoy and happy gardening!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Herbatologistt and MarthaP, seeds are on the way.
    Aly your pretty close to me, so your seeds should arrive tomorrow or Friday. Martha, your seeds should arrive Saturday or Monday.

Enjoy!!

Annie

• herbologistt
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie! I received the seeds today in the mail!! These will last me for a while! I can't wait to start planting :) Thanks again!

• MarthaP123
    9 years ago

Canyonwind, All I can say is "Wow!" I got my newbie package from you today and I am overwhelmed by your generosity. Thank you so much! Now have to spend some time researching to see when to plant the various seeds in my area. Must admit I've never tried kohlrabi. Your winter sowing suggestion also has me collecting containers ;).
    I hope to be able to do something nice for you in return some day soon, Annie. Have been checking out your "wants" so I hope they are current just in case I run up on any of them. You are one awesome lady!

• jjeessoo
    9 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Garden Web and I am pretty new to gardening as well. I have my own garden for the first time this year and I'm really excited about it. My daughter loves broccoli, so I am planning on having that in my garden. And I would love to have tomatoes and peppers. My mother in law wants to teach me to can so I am hoping to do that solely with my own vegetables. Also, I would like to be able to donate some vegetables to my daughter's school because they take fresh food donations, but I will have to wait and see if I produce well enough. I may have to wait until I'm better at gardening, but we will see. I would love for a veteran to adopt me! I live in Zone 8 in Washington.

• Pippa4848
    9 years ago

Hi all! Longtime lurker, official newbie. :) I live in southern CA and have a small apartment patio and a strict budget, which has brought me to the seed exchange.

I'm planning a patio garden this spring, both for privacy and beauty as well as maybe for some fruits and veggies! I just moved to the coast after years in a cold climate, and I'm just in love with all the things you can grow here, and all the months of the year you can grow them! :)

Plants that work well in hanging baskets are high on my list, as are fruits and veggies (specifics on my trade list), but honestly, I'm open to anything anyone loves and would like to share! I look forward to passing on the "adoption" favor to a future newbie myself one day!

• cacombs
    9 years ago

I'd love to be adopted! I'm a college student who is studying agriculture, but has never done anything like this before. I've learned about all the benefits of a garden and now just NEED one of my own preferably vegetable.

• stainsor
    9 years ago

I just started Gardening last year. I would like to learn more about growing from seed, and it would be awesome to get a starter pack!

There are lots of things I'd like to plant from seed: heirloom tomatoes, peppers/chilies (not too hot!), Vegetables, Herbs, Sunflowers, tall grasses, Shade Perennials, easy to grow plants that produce easy to harvest seeds)

• cryptid
    9 years ago

I hereby offer to adopt "jjeessoo", if accepted.

• kristinas1234
    9 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gardening as of last year I would love to be adopted and get my new garden going! I would love any fruits vegetables or flowers I just want to get out there and get my hands dirty! Please email me!

Thank you so much for reading my post,
    Kristina

• gabby811 6 NJ
    9 years ago

Hi I was wondering if it wasn't too late, can I join this? I'm a newbie both to gardening and to gardenweb :)

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks to the new newbies for being great about making your emails accessible, and for putting in your zones and locations.

cacombs please put your zone in the zone box, available in the "member pages" section. then i will know where to put you on the list.

updated the list:
    Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

MichiganBMosh z 4b Michigan (establishing seed inventory to plant, experienced advice from veteran, homesteading)

Zone 5:

Stainsor z5 (heirloom tomatoes, peppers/chilies, Vegetables, Herbs, Sunflowers, tall grasses, Shade Perennials)

Zone 6:

BogGardner z 6 (new house, perennials, herbs + flowers, cool season veggies)
    Jennybe123 z 6 (first garden, herbs, veggies, flowers, heirloom, old fashioned)
    Remyo Zone 6a KY (non gmo healthy food, seed bank, wildlife habitat, medicinal plants)
    gabby811 z6 (unusual plants, container/indoor gardening, flowers)
    Katjaqu z6 (heirloom edibles, seed bank, plants to support wildlife)

Zone 7:

dawn1972 z 7 N.Ga (veggies, edibles, flowers, assistance from veteran about seed starting/harvesting)
    Rastoma z7 (peppers, superhots, general veggies)

Zone 8:

Zone 9-10:

Pippa4848 z9 (fruits and veggies, anything for hanging baskets, patio/container gardening)

* see their member page or earlier in the threads for their want lists

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 18:18

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

kristina1234, I adopted you last June (2014)....LOL! Did you go through all of those seeds I sent you? I know I sent you lots of stuff.

Veterans, correct me if I am wrong....but I don't think we adopt a person (again) who has previously been adopted.

Annie

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

^^^ i agree ^^^
    i removed her name.

sorry kristina, but that doesnt seem fair to all the other newbies waiting patiently.

my tip: go grab yourself some seeds, and start trading. you can get a pretty good selection pretty quick, by just investing in some packets of seed and /or harvesting what you have access to...and then keep trading them up....

• valkyrja01
    9 years ago

Can I join this? i don't know if my email is accessible or not? My zone is 7 I am spending my money on my vegetable garden and starting that and canning so I don't have extra money to spend to make my yard "pretty". I was on here years ago (sred98) but have had major life changes (divorce/move) and starting from scratch.

I don't do well with cuttings except succulents or brugs which I like. I am wanting some old fashioned cottage flowers because I moved into a 1929 shotgun style house. I'm trying to make a little courtyard in the back with a pond less waterfall (I found a pump in a shed) and use some flagstone from a pile I found and plant herbs and butterfly plants all around there.

I really love fragrant flowers. And old fashioned flowers like hollyhocks. I live in 15 acres so I can find somewhere for anything. My front yard is shaded and my back yard is full sun.

My main wants are:

holly hocks single flowered

ascleipas

Yarrows

Nasturtiums

Monarda

Coneflower/echinaceas

Any sedums

I'd love a start of a brug my ex threw mine away it was 5 ft tall and blooming.

Anyway, seeds or plants, anything that will help me get my butterfly/hummingbird garden going if there's something I need to do, please let me know. If I'm not eligible, I understand. Good luck to everyone and Happy Gardening!

Shelly

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey shelly.

yes you can be added to the list. but at the moment, with all the weirdness of this changeover...well apparently things are different now! i will wait until things settle down a bit to figure out how to write up the list so that it actually references people's pages...and hopefully we will get some want lists, etc....

right now i am not even sure how peoples emails are accessed or anything, and none of the previous links will work...so we will all have to sort that out.

• valkyrja01
    9 years ago

Yes it is all very confusing! Thank you Leila! I have to make a whole new list anyway. But starting over I basically have to say I WANT IT ALL!!! LOL! I came here to get on the Garden Junk forum for some inspiration to try and fill up the empty gardens. Then I saw this...just let me know what I have to do. I take it that this is a new change?

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes this whole site changeover just happened a few days ago.

its super screwy! so all of the instructions posted on this thread are inaccurate now, none of the former links work, there doesnt seem to be a way to make want lists (though i just read a good tip that may allow me to find a cached copy of my old long lists)...and i dont know how to email anyone.

but i am trying to be positive, there could be some interesting improvements, and change is always hard. really the layout isnt maybe so bad, once people get used to it, maybe it will be ok =). but for now all the links have changed, the format has changed, so all the instructions for this thread arent accurate....

perhaps within a few days we can figure this out better, i will work on figuring out how to write up the list, and we will see whats what.

• scuba_steve81
    9 years ago

Hello,

Just retired from the Army and would like to get into gardening. My wife has for a few years, but we dont have anything special. I am open to all edibles.

My main focus is hot peppers. From Jalapenos to Carolina Reapers.
    I would also like:
    Hops
    Coffee
    Things to make teas with
    Vanilla
    Unusual onions
    Non standard herbs

I am in Zone 8b

scubatalonawd at gmail

Thank you in advance!

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok this may be glitchy- but here is the current list, more info in next post, cause i just want to see if i can fit this in one post...

Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

MichiganBMosh z 4b Mi (establishing seed bank, advice, homesteading)

Zone 5:

Twotails(5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly)

xXMackXx zone 5 (public charter school - donations - edibles - soup kitchen)

TJP8 z5 (perennials, fruits indoors, bonsai, exotics, hot peppers)

FortunesFool 4-5, OH (veggie garden, flower beds, gardening advice)

Stainsor z5 (heirloom tomatoes, peppers, Vegetables, Herbs, Perennials)

Zone 6:

scobbs416 z6 se PA (heirloom veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)

Jane269 6 / 7 WV (fruits, herbs, veggies, bushes, fruit trees,)

Mar_121 6 Kansas City MO (lilies, succulents, flowers, herbs, container)

jeannie75 6 (general wants, flowers, pond garden, tomatoes)

PattyOK1982 6 (edibles, veggies + flowers)

falldaisies 6 (flowering bulbs, veggies, dwarf fruit trees indoors/citrus)

hopefull742 6 MO (heirloom tomato, shade tolerant, vegetables and flowers)

BogGardner z 6 (new house, perennials, herbs + flowers, veggies)

Jennybe123 z 6 (first garden, herbs, veggies, flowers, heirloom)

cacombs 6 (Veggies, new gardener, studying agriculture in college)

naia1 6a KY (non gmo, seed bank, wildlife habitat, medicinal plants)

gabby811 z6 (unusual plants, container/indoor gardening, flowers)

Katjaqu z6 (heirloom edibles, seed bank, plants to support wildlife)

Zone 7:

SweetGardener 7b VA ( help from a veteran, new lawn, container gardening)

ichigogo zone 7a (fruits, berries, nuts & vegetables, perennials)

dawn1972 z 7 N.Ga (veggies, edibles, flowers)

rastoma zone 7 (peppers, super hots, edibles)

valkyrja01 z7 (brugs , butterfly/hummingbird gardens, old fashioned flowers)

Zone 8:

janetg2244_ z 8a NM (advice, greenhouse fruit, tropical plants + trees)

scuba_steve81 z 8b (hot peppers, interesting edibles, herb & tea garden)

Zone 9-10:

Pippa4848 z10 (container garden, fruits, veggies, hanging baskets)

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi I'm new to the site and this would help me out. I started gardening on my rooftop for food and only had two pollinaters last year. A hummingbird family and a wasp. The wasp got taken out by the spiders as soon as the hummingbirds moved on so I'm trying to get bees, wasp, butterflies, and hummingbirds to my garden.

oh last year the monarch butterfly insisted I grow butterflies instead of carrot, radish, and dill so I'd like some milkweed, tall many flower sunflower. Salvia Etc. Only seen one monarch so far this year

I like food, medicinal plants, fragrance, old roses, dwarf fruit, berries; cottage, butterflies and hummingbirds plants like fuchsia, bleeding hearts etc.

zone 10 rooftop garden and trying to get a community garden

los Angeles thanks

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, this may be a bit awkward and weird like the rest of our transition here, but i will try to help keep this going...with all of the changes.

how many newbies followed us here?

some of the people on this list have been there for a long time =( and havent been adopted, i am unsure if they are still with us.

plus with all the shifts, zone info, trade lists, and being able to mail people /follow, and people user names changing- has all been gone/confusing.

but today we again have the ability to mail people directly, and the trade lists are back =)
    !

so here is what i propose, as this will tell us who is still here and looking for adoption....and hopefully prevent the frustration that happens when adopters try to contact someone and they dont respond/arent around anymore....

IF YOU STILL WANT TO BE ADOPTED --->

PLEASE GO TO YOUR EDIT PROFILE PAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS LISTED CORRECTLY.

THEN GO TO ADVANCED SETTINGS

SCROLL DOWN TO "Privacy settings" AND SELECT THE OPTION OF “ALLOW ANYONE TO MESSAGE ME” under "who can message me".

also there is an area for putting in your zone, please put your growing zone in the box, as well as look around and change any settings there as you want them. This is also where you can edit your want/have list.

then click the "Update" button on the very bottom, and go to the very top and click "Done editing".

once this is done, people will be able to message you from your profile page, and a "message" button will show up on your profile page.

in a few weeks i will come back and edit the list and should be able to edit, reword, or reorganize the information here so that it makes sense again and is accurate.

AT THAT TIME ANYONE WHO HASNT SET THEIR ADVANCED SETTINGS CORRECTLY SO THAT ANYONE CAN MESSAGE THEM, WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE LIST.

we also need your zone info, because that helps to know what plants/seeds you will be able to grow.

if you come back later and i have removed you, even tho you are still around and want to be adopted.... please feel free to make a new post and be added again, once your messaging settings are such that we can reach you.

probably i will start over on a new thread, once i can get a handle on rewording the opening post.

but for now, this is what i suggest, we keep stumbling on here, and this should show who is still actively here and seeking adoption.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anywho, hope that wasnt confusing!

basically, if you change your messaging settings to “ALLOW ANYONE TO MESSAGE ME” in ADVANCED SETTINGS

like this ====>

then when i redo the list next, i will see the "message" button on your profile and will keep your name on the list.

if you arent around, or dont change it, your name will be dropped.

so all anyone has to do to stay on the list, is set that correctly, and let us know their growing zone.

not trying to be harsh or anything, but thats the only way i see to renew this list, see who is still around and paying attention (therefore likely to respond and actively waiting to be adopted) and the only way i can see this working.

i will give it a few weeks for everyone to find us, re work the opening post, and create a new thread with the redone list.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey thanks cayonwind =)

ok, went ahead and edited the instructions, no time like the present!

so hopefully we can get some adoptions in progress, and move this forward again =)

so the new thread is located HERE- adopt a newbie ongoing list 5

there are only a few newbies who have set up their messaging/emails, so only a few names will be on the *new list*.

i dont want to drop anyone, i would like each and every one of you to find awesome adopters =). but this is certainly out of our control with all the changeover.

i will keep watching the ^^^above list ^^^ for people to set up their emails and add them as i can. if i have dropped your name and you still want to be adopted, feel free to post on the new thread, to reintroduce yourself and make it clear you are around and wanting adoption still.

even if you dont post, i will automatically add names of the people who set up their emails, at least over the next week or three.

anyway, one more time, the new thread is located HERE

- adopt a newbie ongoing list 5 -

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner