Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macranthos

have: showy milkweed seeds for sase

macranthos
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
We have a project to get as much milkweed planted on private land as possible since its habitat is disappearing elsewhere. We have a ton of Asclepias speciosa seed available (that should be wild sown ASAP!), specifically for anyone in its native range (Map) and especially for anyone in Oregon and Washington in the I5 corridor. All we need is a SASE! To get in touch with us, you can click here to find our Craigslist Postings or click here to view our Facebook Page. Thanks for your interest! If you've got 20 acres in the Willemette Valley that you want to be a prime Monarch site, we can help!

Comments (14)

• darlene87
    9 years ago

I live in Tacoma, does milkweed grow in this area? Last year I planted over a dozen seeds, they came up, but now I see nothing. The other type of milkweed seed I planted did not take. Maybe it is not hot enough here.
    darlene

• arden_gw
    9 years ago

Would love to have some! I am trying to plant all different milkweeds as the monarchs are very busy in my garden since thanksgiving!
    Please contact me.

Thank you!!
    Christine

• kristinas1234
    9 years ago

Hi, do you have these still available? If so I would love some!

Thank you,
    Kristina

• macranthos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have so many seeds still for this year, we're having trouble finding good homes for them all. We have sown about 10000 seeds this fall...

Darlene, it will grow in Tacoma. They're deciduous so they're dormant now.

To get seeds you just have to click on the link above to our craigslist posts and email my friend who is in charge of distribution. He'll send you the address to mail your sase to. Let me know if you have more questions.
    R

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist post

• djune_gw
    9 years ago

Would love some. Just tell me what you need to send the
    seed.
    Thanks,
    djune

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

i have been searching for showy milkweed! I do alot of local projects with milkweed. i plant in schools, churches, private homes and community gardens. If there are any left Id love some! They will each find a purposeful home. I raise Monarchs.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"COULD WE LOSE THE MONARCH MIGRATION IN OUR LIFETIME? YES

Monarchs need your help NOW! This year AGAIN marks the lowest number of over wintering Monarchs in the Mexican mountains in the last 20 years...and we have only known about their over wintering sites for a little more than 20 years!. There are 97% fewer than at their recorded height and 50% less than there were last year. This is a back to back 50% decline in their overwintering numbers. Researchers are worried we may lose a large part of their migration this year if immediate action is not taken and severely threaten all Monarchs if the pattern continues.

This is a crisis situation! In 1991, over 75% of the wintering Monarchs from North America froze to death in Mexico as a result of three days of rain and sub-freezing conditions. Their numbers showed some recovery but now there is a nationwide shortage of milkweed. Freak weather patterns destroy habitat and kill millions of helpless Monarchs. But these natural events are not the only challenges that face the Monarch. Widespread pesticide application and genetically modified crops cover important parts of the Monarch's migratory path and serve as killing fields for any Monarchs that pass through these millions of acres of toxins and biological agents that kill them and their young. They are unintended casualties in a war to protect crops. Are our Monarchs worth our efforts to protect? Do we even know the total effects on our environment from the use of these agents? Monarchs and Milkweed are obvious signs that we need to take action to protect our environment. They show us the fragility and interconnectedness of our world and that the actions of some can have impacts on all of us. We are all part of the problem through the global effort to harness and control Nature in the search for profit. We must research the origins of all our wants and needs to ensure that the products and organizations we support are a true benefit and not a source of misery to the resources used to create them. Our choice to know the source of our purchases gives us the real power to decide what types of people we support and together control over the manner of production used. Please promote the opening of information so that we can make informed choices and change the world with every one. The Monarch habitat must be protected now to ensure their survival, before we see the day when this miracle of nature is only a memory. The Monarchs need your help NOW. Please plant seeds and help to ensure their survival. A Milkweed in every yard!

You have the power to instantly change the world !

Plant a seed today and change your backyard."

Very good cause. I will be ordering seeds for my region.

Thanks for posting!

A link that might be useful:

www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm

• ily68
    9 years ago

I would have loved some, but I live in Florida. I always have Monarchs in my garden. I have milkweed planted in different areas throughout my garden. I also have the giant milkweed.

• madabouteu
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If any are left, I certainly would love some. I already have two species of milkweed in my garden and currently have several more kinds as stratifying seeds - but not showy milkweed! Please message me at mosasaur47@msn.com and I will send an SASE as soon as tomorrow's snow melts!

• bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
    9 years ago

I would love to get some seeds if they are still available. Please let me know.

Thanks.

• bunnynomnom
    9 years ago

This is quite a sad situation for the monarch butterflies. I would love to get a bunch of packets to distribute to people in my horticulture classes. Thanks!

• ily68
    9 years ago

Can this milkweek grow in Miami, FL., zone 10???

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

Can this grow in Phoenix Az? If so I would be happy to plant seeds if they are still available.

• Carol
    8 years ago

I live in florida and would love to plant some milkweed seeds to draw butterflys to my property , I will send you a SASE if you will contact me with address where I can send it to , tracer411@msn.com thank you

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting