Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarza

WANTED: Interesting Seed Saving Law Enforcement

scarza
9 years ago

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (DOA) recently issued a protocol requiring the Simpson Seed Library in Mechanicsburg, PA to only have brand new, commercial seed each year citing that they were in violation of the PA Seed Act that regulates seed distributors. Under the protocol the seed library cannot house or receive any locally saved seed and must dispose of all commercial seed at the end of the year. The Maryland DOA has adopted the protocol and several other states have expressed an interest in doing so as well.

Comments (4)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Time to go underground and/or fight back. I wonder if Iowa has a similar law and what Seed Savers Exchange is doing. What a complete mess.

Martha

• scarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I completely understand the need to control seed born disease and some guarantee that seeds are true to type, but this is taking things a little too far wit traded seed. If I am buying seed, that is one thing but for seeds traded, bartered or for seeds obtained from libraries this is going too far.

Here is a link that might be useful: seedlibraries

• caw_in_zn5
    9 years ago

Another Monsanto plot to rule the world. What complete BS!!!!!!

• soilent_green
    9 years ago

Happening in Minnesota as well:
    Duluth Seed Library Fracas

...IMHO this thread does not belong here, it belongs on the "Conversations" forum of the seed exchange...