Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whiteeaglesue

HAVE: bad hardy hibiscus seed

whiteeaglesue
11 years ago

If I traded with you And your hardy hibiscus seeds do not come up Let me know And I will make it good this fall I planed 100 seed and only 2 came up last year every seed I planted came up the only difference is this yearand I pollinated them so I apologize if you're still not come up just let me know so sorry

Comments (7)

• branfan
    11 years ago

if you still have some and would like to dispose of them i'd be happy to take them off your hands

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

learning all the particulars about saving viable seeds is a huge project, it takes a long time to really get good at it.
    theres all sort of fussy details to be worked out for each different plant.....unfortunately the only way to get good is to make mistakes, learn, stretch out of your comfort zone....

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

anywho they might still come up....doesnt hibiscus need to be cold stratified? thats what i do anyway, in the fridge. maybe when the weather warms up your hibiscus will start coming up.
    for me i generally dont get a great amount to sprout, even from a good pack. and it takes a long time too...at least thats what its like for me, probably different ones are easier or harder depending.
    ......maybe they didnt get cold enough or warm enough or...something- the timing was off...havent broken the dormancy yet.

ah some thoughts, perhaps....you probably know this, or maybe i am wrong here.

• whiteeaglesue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea hawwwww all r coming up now just didn't with long enough but I had thrown all the rest of the seed away soguess I should not have been so hasty

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Sue, you should consider doing what I do when something I plant either 'doesn't come up' OR 'died': I have a 'pot' graveyard, where I set all my 'losses' - lo and behold, 75% or more eventually make a showing.

Like you, I'm impatient and learned, in my 53 years of growing plants, that nothing is necessarily dead until nothing shows up for 12 months. EVEN THEN, I have a corner in which I empty the pots - plants have been known to come up from forgotten/dead seeds and cuttings!

• whiteeaglesue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome idea I will for sure make me a plant graveyard ty for the idea

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

quote:
    Yea hawwwww all r coming up now just didn't with long enough but I had thrown all the rest of the seed away soguess I should not have been so hasty

===================

aha! excellent.
    yeah, it was waiting for a bit more warmth, cold stratifying naturally through the cold season.
    thats what i think.

yes i always throw the pots that havent shown anything forever in a place i wouldnt mind if they sprout. usually off to the side of an existing bed.
    and totally totally, a lot of that stuff sprouts later.... the right cold then warm cycle....and putting them on the ground beside the garden beds makes them finally pop.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals