Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: bad hardy hibiscus seed

Posted by whiteeaglesue 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 19:11

If I traded with you And your hardy hibiscus seeds do not come up Let me know And I will make it good this fall I planed 100 seed and only 2 came up last year every seed I planted came up the only difference is this yearand I pollinated them so I apologize if you're still not come up just let me know so sorry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: bad hardy hibiscus seed

if you still have some and would like to dispose of them i'd be happy to take them off your hands

o

learning all the particulars about saving viable seeds is a huge project, it takes a long time to really get good at it.
theres all sort of fussy details to be worked out for each different plant.....unfortunately the only way to get good is to make mistakes, learn, stretch out of your comfort zone....

o

anywho they might still come up....doesnt hibiscus need to be cold stratified? thats what i do anyway, in the fridge. maybe when the weather warms up your hibiscus will start coming up.
for me i generally dont get a great amount to sprout, even from a good pack. and it takes a long time too...at least thats what its like for me, probably different ones are easier or harder depending.
......maybe they didnt get cold enough or warm enough or...something- the timing was off...havent broken the dormancy yet.

ah some thoughts, perhaps....you probably know this, or maybe i am wrong here.

o

Yea hawwwww all r coming up now just didn't with long enough but I had thrown all the rest of the seed away soguess I should not have been so hasty

o

Sue, you should consider doing what I do when something I plant either 'doesn't come up' OR 'died': I have a 'pot' graveyard, where I set all my 'losses' - lo and behold, 75% or more eventually make a showing.

Like you, I'm impatient and learned, in my 53 years of growing plants, that nothing is necessarily dead until nothing shows up for 12 months. EVEN THEN, I have a corner in which I empty the pots - plants have been known to come up from forgotten/dead seeds and cuttings!

o

Awesome idea I will for sure make me a plant graveyard ty for the idea

o

quote:
Yea hawwwww all r coming up now just didn't with long enough but I had thrown all the rest of the seed away soguess I should not have been so hasty

===================

aha! excellent.
yeah, it was waiting for a bit more warmth, cold stratifying naturally through the cold season.
thats what i think.

yes i always throw the pots that havent shown anything forever in a place i wouldnt mind if they sprout. usually off to the side of an existing bed.
and totally totally, a lot of that stuff sprouts later.... the right cold then warm cycle....and putting them on the ground beside the garden beds makes them finally pop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here