Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Spring salad greens

Posted by oldmobie 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 0:14

I square foot garden, zone 6, and have had poor spinach production. I'd like to try several varieties, to see what does well for me.

Also want to branch out to cabbage, need narrow and upright (like a Chinese or Napa).

Also looking for leaf lettuce. It grows well for me, I just want more variety.

Check out my trade list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Spring salad greens

I also Square Foot. Here's what I got

Lacinato aka Dino Kale
Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing
Collards - Georgia South
Collards - Vates (I've had great success with this in my zone)
Greens - Orach (Rare, see photo)
Arugala (too spicy for my taste. PICK WAY YOUNG)
Mustard (works great between larger plants in the summer).

No cabbage, I can't seem to grow it here. I fail at it year around. I have Early Snowball Cauliflower if you're interested. If you find a hearty cabbage that doesn't mind early heat, please let me know :)

Will trade for your cucumbers (pickling varieties), peanuts

o

LoneCowboy,
I'm definitely interested in a trade for just about all the greens you've listed. Before we work out details, know that my cucumbers are not separated into varieties. The two types were grown side by side, and when I harvested seeds, I put them all together. On the plus side, they germination tested 100%. If this is agreeable, I'll trade you cukes and peanuts. If not, peanuts only.

Let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: My germination Test Results

o

No problem with the Cuke mix. I enjoy the oddities!

Just to make sure you are still interested, some varieties of greens I only have 20 seeds +/- left. I'll send them all over to you, I just want to make sure you understand you're not going to get hundreds of seeds.

Any chance I can I get a few roma seeds?

LC

o

I'll send you some romas. Well, I decided they're romas. They were pear shaped and red. 1/4 teaspoon is 150ish seeds. Germination is ongoing, but currently 40%.

I'll send you:
1/4 teaspoon roma seed
1/4 teaspoon cucumber seed
25-50 peanut seeds

for:
Lacinato
Orach
Collards - a mix of both varieties
Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing
Mustard

Just start at the top of that list, and stop when you've put together what looks like a fair trade. Don't run yourself short doing it. Amend the terms if you like, or if it's agreeable, let's email to exchange addresses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here