Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_love

WANTED: looking for fruit tree seeds

garden_love
11 years ago

I am looking for fruit tree seeds. any that may work for zone 4 or 5. I am also interested in walnuts. I am wanting to start these I
n my brothers plant growing room. I dont have much to trade at the moment but I do have a list of what I have on my page.I would really love to do this and upload the progress photos to my journal. thanks!

This post was edited by garden_love on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 22:16

Comments (23)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I recently got a lot of persimmon seeds from a trade. There no way I'm going to sow them all. If you are interested e-mail me? I don't know the actual cultivar.

• treasurificgal
    11 years ago

I have Guava seeds for trade. The size is about golf ball and they make a refreshing drink.

• garden_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That would be great! I just updated my have list if you want to trade! I also have mant gardening made easy booklets on fruits, veggies, flowers, shrubs,trees ,climbers, bulbs and much more. you can let me know if u are interested in those and i will send you a list. thanks!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I'll trade for some sweet yellow spanish onion seeds. Send me your address.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

me too! i have also been searching for good sources of fruit seed and ways to get some fruit and nut trees going.

i have some sweet red cherry, and a couple of mazzard cherry- these are requiring much patience, havent sprouted yet.

anywho let me know if you want to trade, if you think you can and want to grow these.

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 12:31

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

and at the risk of babbling, AND being a little off to the side of the topic, i will share this idea with you because i have been thinking about it too-

i think it could be possible to start some nut trees from purchased nuts. they would have to be totally raw, and i guess its a gamble, but it is way way way cheaper than trying to buy the nut seeds, which i have been doing but only getting like five nut seeds for too much money.

a link i have been researching, i have a good sense about their nuts being fresh enough and totally raw, might sprout after you cold treat them, and bust them out of the shell.

http://www.nuts.com/tag/bulk/nuts/in%20shell/raw

thought about getting these and trying to sprout a bunch, experimental style.

http://www.nuts.com/nuts/mixednuts/in-the-shell.html

Here is a link that might be useful: raw nuts

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 14:47

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Garden_love,

You may already know this and still have made the decision to go with the seed/nut route, but I just thought I'd remind you that most fruit and nut trees do not come true-to-type (cultivar) from seed. Vegetatively reproduced plants (grafted trees, rooted cuttings, etc) most often produce vastly superior plants (and therefore fruit). As noted, you may have reason to want to start from seed, but I'd hate to see you wait years for a great crop and then find that you'd have been better off starting with selected types (cultivars).

• garden_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know

This post was edited by garden_love on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:03

• garden_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thank you for your concerns brandon7, I do not wish to harvest the fruits or not for myself but for Wildlife. even if they don't come true or I don't get fruit or nuts, the wildlife will still eat the leaves. I want to turn my yard into a natural wildlife Habitat type thing lol. I'm just bored and on Social Security so I have plenty of time. thank you though. the only fruit but I'm wishing to grow from seed are raspberries apples peaches and maybe some persimmons. I know the risk but at least i will still have a pretty tree in my yard of nothing else! Boredom can make you think crazy thoughts haha. I already have most of fruit I want, I just figured I'd give some of it a try.

• grdngramma
    11 years ago

I just sent you this in an email too. I'm in zone 4 and I have two big apricot trees that I have started little trees from the apricot pits that are about a foot tall, I could send you a couple of the little trees, and also some pits if you wanted to try to grow some more. You might need to plant 2 trees to get them to bear fruit which is why I mention sending you two. They don't usually bear fruit every year though, usually every 2nd or 3rd year. I also have some cherry pits from my montmorency sour cherry tree, it does NOT need 2 trees, you could try to grow those. I also have blue concord grapes I could send you some seeds from and I have Candian red cherry trees that have clusters of berries every spring that the birds love, I could take some cuttings and you just poke them down in the ground (might work better with some rooting hormone if you have or can get some, I think you can get it at any greenhouse or maybe Walmart) when the weather is warmer or do it inside in a pot of dirt. The cherry pits and apricot pits would need to be stratified first--you put them in a baggie of slightly moist sand and put them in the frig for three months (don't let them freeze), check occasionally for sprouts and you can go ahead and plant the sprouted ones in a pot indoors (don't bury too deep, just barely cover with soil), then put outdoors when they get a little size in nice weather. After the three months, take them all out even if not sprouted and plant indoors, the ones that are healthy will sprount, the others probably won't. This should work with any fruit seeds, even ones from the store. I've just been doing this for a couple years but it really works well, I've sprouted lots of stuff. Let me know, I'd like to have any of your corn and peas, pretty much anything edible.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

quote:
    =====================
    You may already know this and still have made the decision to go with the seed/nut route, but I just thought I'd remind you that most fruit and nut trees do not come true-to-type (cultivar) from seed. Vegetatively reproduced plants (grafted trees, rooted cuttings, etc) most often produce vastly superior plants (and therefore fruit). As noted, you may have reason to want to start from seed, but I'd hate to see you wait years for a great crop and then find that you'd have been better off starting with selected types (cultivars).
    =======================

i strongly disagree, though i know this is what most people believe.
    though this is true of SOME fruit plants, particularly ones that have been messed with by humans more. its the messing with plants more and more that makes it this way, not that in general fruit and nut trees dont produce good viable seed. the less messed with the plants are and closer to their wilder forms the more likely they will be able to produce viable seed.

imo, people just repeat and believe this without entirely knowing, and without experience.... just because this is the common belief.

i realize you are trying to be helpful, that most many people would disagree with me....and that this is commonly accepted belief. but i have never heard someone say they have spent years waiting on a fruit/nut tree from seed to produce and it didnt, they just think that and dont try.

...but i have heard MANY MANY reports of people planting seeds from fruit and nuts, from store bought fruit even, and getting excellent results.

usually, as the above poster was saying, the ones that arent viable just dont sprout at all...if they do its likely it is a good tree. maybe you cant impress people with names, and "superior" genetic lineages, or something silly like this, but you can get good fruit grown from seed.

in fact i think anything grown from seed is generally a healthier plant because it is the way they naturally reproduce, without human interference. clones eventually get weaker and weaker, and cultivars that have been messed with more and more...well then they continue to need more and more human interference...because they have been messed with to the point where they arent able to reproduce the "old fashioned way"
    =)

so the "normal" fruits that are commercially produced are like this, especially since a lot of commercial growers use...like crab apple to pollinate apples, or something like this....where if you had some backyard apple trees that were all old school varieties...chances are better that the fruit would be a good cross between these. but yeah...likely anything too messed with wont sprout at all, the "normal" fruits...but many "weird" fruit, not commercially grown as much... tropical fruits, closer to wilder types fruit, citrus, stone fruits, and nuts will come "true" and produce good fruit eventually.

ah my four cents we are off topic!!!!

i sent you an email about the cherry seeds. =)

and i like what you are saying and agree...just grow them out and see what happens...even the wood is valuable and useful... and for the birds and animals you are making a nice habitat.

• garden_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grdngramma and leilahamya i sent you beth replies to your emails! And I thank you both for supporting my ideas.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Leilahamaya,

Believe me, I wasn't just guessing. Humans have been working on apples, pears, cherries, persimmons, grapes, citrus, and many of the nut trees for many years (thousands in many cases). The wild versions of many do not compare, in most cases, to the cultivars (Have you ever tried eating an apple from a seed-grown tree? LOL). Yes some types of fruit, especially the minor ones, do often come pretty close, but even then there's often a difference. Many people believe pawpaws, for instance, come true-to-type from seed. They really don't, even though it's pretty common to get a decent one by planting a seed from a good cultivar.

Garden_love seems to be right on track and have a completely valid reason for seeking out seed. One reason I tried to be careful about the way I worded my original post was because I knew she might be planting for wildlife, just to watch stuff grow, or as an experiment (all of these could be good reasons to try growing edible fruit plants from seed, and there is some chance, although usually very small, of getting an even better type from seed). I do believe, though, that it's irresponsible to advise people to try to grow edible fruit plants from seed if they are depending on the trees for a good (tasty, good-quality, etc) harvest of fruit. Their chances are greatly diminished.

On the other hand, I saw when you didn't agree with Kaliaman, who had propagated "literally tens of thousands" of blackberries in the University or Arkansas blackberry development program, so I'll be fine if you don't want to believe me either.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 12:04

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

ey yi.

should i start going on threads where people talk about grafting and "superior" genetics of their fruit types...or whatever other "expert" stuff...and start telling people its better to grow from seed????

i still strongly disagree.
    there is a good reason why i also say what i say.

and yes, i have had apples from a tree grown from seed. i have a volunteer apple tree that was planted by the birds =)
    cant say they are quite as pretty as store bought ones, but they have a great flavor. theres a lot of old apple trees around here......so they have spread themselves naturally with eatable apples.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

anywho people grow gardens and trees with different goals.
    and possibly a bigger problem than genetics for many people is not planting for their climate, or various other reasons people dont get fruit from their trees, if they grow fruit from seed experimentally. i have seriously NEVER heard anyone say they tried and didnt get fruit, or didnt get good fruit. it probably happens...but i have never heard this complaint, just the common belief that you cant get fruit from seeds, so they dont try.....which i disagree. it is however true of SOME fruit, the ones that are futher from their wild state....the more cultivated and messed with it is the harder it is to grow, IMHO.

i have never desired to be an expert, i would rather garden like a squirrel!!! they dont care much about the names and superior genetics.....i grow food for feeding myself, no brand names required. i have been feeding myself from my gardens, and from the wild foods i gather for many many many many years. in this i feel successful.

i am also very into wild foods, so its unlikely you will convince me otherwise. there are many wild foods that have a great taste, and some which take some getting used to.....

but yeah let me shut up!

....we should get back to seed trading, for the fruit seeds this woman seeks.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Leilahamaya,

My point, as I have tried to explain, was to bring the OP's attention to the implications of planting edible fruit trees and plants from seed IF they weren't aware of them, not to debate you (I knew that that would be "fruitless"). The facts are exceedingly clear and easy to verify IF someone realizes that there could be a concern. For example, there are countless threads in the Fruit and Orchards Forum about this, many from amateurs that didn't realize there was an issue before they planted their seed. It's only when there is no knowledge that the problem exists, that there's likely to be a mistake. In this case, we don't have to worry any more!

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 21:27

• Desirai
    11 years ago

I have some bing cherry seeds, I haven't managed to get them to germinate though, if you'd like to try you're welcome.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

(I knew that that would be "fruitless").

lol, well at least we can laugh. =)
    i have researched about what i say, and i have been planting trees from seed now. i suppose if i remember in some 5-10 years i could let someone know how it goes =) i will be ok with experimenting and seeing what happens, if i fail then i fail, but i do not think i will. again, what you say is true of SOME fruit, not all types......and people mistakenly think that because they hear this this means all fruit. it is not rocket science, really, is one of the underlying points i am to make. if you get old school fruit types it can, and has, be done....i have seen this and my experience of seeing people do this is what informs my opinion.

i really do not believe the "experts" on this, or really for that matter on much of anything. i would rather try for myself, and see what happens. i repeat again most peoples issue is likely not having the right temperature and climate for the fruit they are trying to grow. another issue is the weird practices of commercial fruit production, of weird hybrids, of grafting. get some old school fruit types and chances are good you can get fruit. also stone fruits, citrus, etc.....some fruit types CAN be grown from seed, and imo should be grown from seed.

there are MANY other people who think as i do, though i have also already said that i know most people think i am wrong, and believe you cannot grow fruit from seed.....

Here is a link that might be useful: someone who agrees with me

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Leilahamaya,

Even though you disagree with pretty much everyone in the edible fruit industry, all the many years of research in the field of edible fruit development (and the researchers, like Kaliaman), and the vast majority of anecdotal evidence about some aspects of this subject...some of what you say is correct. You are absolutely correct that the more "messed with" fruit types are the ones that are more likely not to produce offspring similar to their parents. You are also correct that there is some chance that the seed grown plant will produce fruit even better than that of the parent. I believe that's the real breaking point of our thinking though. I realize that this chance is very very very slim in many cases, but I think you may be looking at it as an eternal optimist. (-:

All this said, your buddy Robert Wayne Atkins is probably not a good example. He genuinely seems not to understand the definition of the word hybrid. He also seems to mistakenly think that what he calls heirloom varieties (actually, more properly called heirloom cultivars, to avoid confusion with the biological definition of variety) will produce true-to-type offspring. He also seems to have overlooked that most heirloom cultivars are actually the result of significant human hybridizing activity of a long period of time.

Finally, I think we should probably not continue this conversation on Garden_love's thread. I don't mind continuing on the "Conversations" side of the forum, if you wish, but I'm getting worried about infringing on Garden_love's space here. What I meant to be a brief courtesy may be becoming more of a burden. If you do wish to talk further, you can email me through GardenWeb or let me know to look for a thread on the "Conversations" side of this forum (I usually only go there on rare occasions).

• plantman224
    11 years ago

Hi, Im in central florida and I been growing fruit from seed for 3 years now, if you would like I have orange, lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, pecan and grape seeds now and will have other types as they come into season, (wild plum, papaya, peach) if your interested, email me at plantman224@gmail.com, to discuss and hammer out details.

• JACQPURPLE
    11 years ago

am interested in your :
    Balloon Flower- Blue & White mix
    Chamomile- German
    Dianthus- Arctic Fire
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Hibiscus- Lady Baltimore

Check my list, I hope you find something you want, JQ

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list:

• garden_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JACQPURPLE I have emailed you.

• costakel
    11 years ago

I have some passionfruit seeds that I took out of a purple variety that came out of Florida. My father is in the produce business so he just bought me a whole case of the fruit and i've been saving all the seed. I planted mine a couple weeks ago and now have TONS of plants. i'm brand new to this so I guess just post to let me know if you are interested?

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks