Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_6oh

HAVE: new project to help kick the winter blues

jeanne
13 years ago

It's been a solid 90 days since winter settled in around here and I read somewhere on the web this morning that contrary to what any groundhog might have said, a series of back to back winter storms should keep us holed up inside for a few more weeks. That's when I decided I needed to start a new project while I'm stuck inside.

The world of daylily hybridizing is an amazing thing. These people spend obscene amounts of money on plants and seeds (I've seen a pack of 5 seeds go for just over $300.00 dollars at auction!) use specialized techniques to coax seeds into growing in the dead of winter, and grow absolutely fabulous flowers! I always thought I had a pretty nice collection of daylillies until I spent an average of one dollar per seed (scandalously expensive to my frugal sensibilities) and grew these plants out. WOW!

Here are some of my seedlings.

I had a blast making crosses with these lillies last summer, but aside from the carefully marked and labeled crosses I made, I also took pollen from ther best looking plants each day and dabbled it all over the five dollar daylillies I have out in the front yard. I think these are all going to be splendid crosses, I mixed the lovliest "faces" from the front yard with all the stellar attributes of these latest crosses like edges, ruffles, chicken fat, stripes and spectacular branching and size. I could probably get a lot of money for the seeds at auction except for one thing:

I didn't label any of them.

That said, I truly believe there will be some incredible beauties in there. I harvested each day's seedpods seperately, dried them for 48 hours, then refrigerated the seeds in a sealed container. Unlike the dried daylily seeds that have sat in room temperature since summer, these seeds are plump, shiny, amazing things just bursting with live - in fact, two of them germinated last week!

Growing daylilies in the dead of winter is a wonderful experience, I'm a stay-at-home mom and homeschooler so I have plenty of time to putter with them but even if you only have a few minutes a day (and a sunny, south facing window) you can grow daylilies. Laying on a bed of fine gravel, they soak in a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide which keeps everything clean and seems to speed up the germination process. One person has made a great, detailed pictoral of their experience which sums up the process quite nicely:

Daylillies on the Rocks

So have you guessed what my new project to keep me busy for a weeks is? Yep, I'm giving away daylily seeds!

Reply here or email me and I'll send my address. I'll need you to send me $1.22 in postage (these will be traveling in "Package" size containers so two stamps won't be enough), a bubble mailer, a note mentioning that you are replying to the daylily offer (I have other people contacting me for other things so I don't want to get confused) and a return address label if you have one. I'll send you 25 fat, happy seeds just ready to get growing. You'll have to be a bit more patient with me than usual because I recently started homeschooling my autistic son, but I will try to handle everything in as prompt a manner as I can easily manage.

P.S. These seeds can't be kept in a drawer or winter sown, it will kill them for sure. They need to be kept in the fridge or soaked in a water/hydrogen peroxide (90/10) solution.

Any interested takers out there?

P.P.S. I would love, love LOVE to see pictures of blooms! Even if it takes you ten years to get a bloom, I'd love to see it. They feel like granchildren to me, lol!

Comments (28)

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would love to have some of these seeds.

Margaret

• ctcfo
    13 years ago

Hi,

I too would love to have some of these seeds. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
    jmalakoff@hotmail.com

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

You are very inspiring Jeanne!
    I'd love to try this out.
    Thanks for sharing your treasures :)

• mastergarder2003
    13 years ago

Yes I would like in on the lily seeds. Bon.
    please email me your address

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I would love to receive some of your lily seeds ;-) Thank you so much for a great offer .

Iris

• retsec
    13 years ago

I would like to try some of your daylily seed. Let me know if you still have some and where to send postage.
    Nancy

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Hi Jeanne!

I'd be interested in more DL seeds! I've started several others from our trade and they're doing great!

Thanks!!

Em

• fearadyn
    13 years ago

A wonderful winter project! Yes please send me some of your daylily seeds~

Thank you so much for this offer~

• graanieb
    13 years ago

I'd love to try these, thank you very much.

Bea

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I would be interested in your offer. Thank you!

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Wow, Jeanne those pics are gorgeous! Yes, I would love to have some of the ones you are offering! Thanks so much! Melinda

• haymay
    13 years ago

i'd love to try some of these!!

thanks
    jim - haymay

• terrene
    13 years ago

Jeanne, the pictures of your seedlings are beautiful! It is very kind of you to offer your extra seeds. I would love to get some. Sending you an email. Thanks!

• zinaray
    13 years ago

picture are beautiful, i would love some of the daylily seed . thanks Zinaray

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I would love, love, love some daylily seeds! Thanks so much for your generous offer! vina

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

I would love to have some seeds if you still have any. Please email me your address. You are so generous. Thank you. Your pics are beautiful.

Linda

• wren1
    13 years ago

hi hope im not too late with love some too lmk thanks Angela

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I would love some daylily seeds. Please email me your address. Thanks so much.

Don

• jeanne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded to this offer, I might already have too many but I'll work my way through this list and see.

This offer is now closed.color>

Jeanne

• poppy_power
    13 years ago

Hello:Jeanne,
    Your daylily blooms are pretty!
    I am currently growing indoors around 100 crossed seedlings.
    Takes 2 growing seasons for blooms.Worth the wait.
    Once you start you will be addicted from growing daylilies from crossed seeds.

• zinaray
    13 years ago

hi jeanne,
    my dayliy seed are coming up, i checked today and 3 have started up. so happy Toni

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

one of your lilys in bloom

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

Jenanne
    here are some of your cross lilys in bloom

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

more of your Lilys cross in my yard Jen

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

Lily

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

I started these cross lilys from jeannie seeds. she wanted to see the pictures its been I believe 3 yrs and now they bloomed very pretty thanks I hope she sees these pictures on the gw site July 2013 Bon

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

more

• mastergarder2003
    10 years ago

Jeanne Here are you Lilys in bloom from your swapped seeds I got your email hope you get to see them her in Bloom this yr 2 yrs later .

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County