Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: new project to help kick the winter blues

Posted by jeanne 6OH (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 19:47

It's been a solid 90 days since winter settled in around here and I read somewhere on the web this morning that contrary to what any groundhog might have said, a series of back to back winter storms should keep us holed up inside for a few more weeks. That's when I decided I needed to start a new project while I'm stuck inside.

The world of daylily hybridizing is an amazing thing. These people spend obscene amounts of money on plants and seeds (I've seen a pack of 5 seeds go for just over $300.00 dollars at auction!) use specialized techniques to coax seeds into growing in the dead of winter, and grow absolutely fabulous flowers! I always thought I had a pretty nice collection of daylillies until I spent an average of one dollar per seed (scandalously expensive to my frugal sensibilities) and grew these plants out. WOW!

Here are some of my seedlings.

I had a blast making crosses with these lillies last summer, but aside from the carefully marked and labeled crosses I made, I also took pollen from ther best looking plants each day and dabbled it all over the five dollar daylillies I have out in the front yard. I think these are all going to be splendid crosses, I mixed the lovliest "faces" from the front yard with all the stellar attributes of these latest crosses like edges, ruffles, chicken fat, stripes and spectacular branching and size. I could probably get a lot of money for the seeds at auction except for one thing:

I didn't label any of them.

That said, I truly believe there will be some incredible beauties in there. I harvested each day's seedpods seperately, dried them for 48 hours, then refrigerated the seeds in a sealed container. Unlike the dried daylily seeds that have sat in room temperature since summer, these seeds are plump, shiny, amazing things just bursting with live - in fact, two of them germinated last week!

Growing daylilies in the dead of winter is a wonderful experience, I'm a stay-at-home mom and homeschooler so I have plenty of time to putter with them but even if you only have a few minutes a day (and a sunny, south facing window) you can grow daylilies. Laying on a bed of fine gravel, they soak in a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide which keeps everything clean and seems to speed up the germination process. One person has made a great, detailed pictoral of their experience which sums up the process quite nicely:

Daylillies on the Rocks

So have you guessed what my new project to keep me busy for a weeks is? Yep, I'm giving away daylily seeds!

Reply here or email me and I'll send my address. I'll need you to send me $1.22 in postage (these will be traveling in "Package" size containers so two stamps won't be enough), a bubble mailer, a note mentioning that you are replying to the daylily offer (I have other people contacting me for other things so I don't want to get confused) and a return address label if you have one. I'll send you 25 fat, happy seeds just ready to get growing. You'll have to be a bit more patient with me than usual because I recently started homeschooling my autistic son, but I will try to handle everything in as prompt a manner as I can easily manage.

P.S. These seeds can't be kept in a drawer or winter sown, it will kill them for sure. They need to be kept in the fridge or soaked in a water/hydrogen peroxide (90/10) solution.

Any interested takers out there?

P.P.S. I would love, love LOVE to see pictures of blooms! Even if it takes you ten years to get a bloom, I'd love to see it. They feel like granchildren to me, lol!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: new project to help kick the winter blues

I would love to have some of these seeds.

Margaret

o

• Posted by ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 20:27

Hi,

I too would love to have some of these seeds. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
jmalakoff@hotmail.com

o

You are very inspiring Jeanne!
I'd love to try this out.
Thanks for sharing your treasures :)

o

Yes I would like in on the lily seeds. Bon.
please email me your address

o

Hi Jeanne,

I would love to receive some of your lily seeds ;-) Thank you so much for a great offer .

Iris

o

I would like to try some of your daylily seed. Let me know if you still have some and where to send postage.
Nancy

o

Hi Jeanne!

I'd be interested in more DL seeds! I've started several others from our trade and they're doing great!

Thanks!!

Em

o

A wonderful winter project! Yes please send me some of your daylily seeds~

Thank you so much for this offer~

o

I'd love to try these, thank you very much.

Bea

o

I would be interested in your offer. Thank you!

o

Wow, Jeanne those pics are gorgeous! Yes, I would love to have some of the ones you are offering! Thanks so much! Melinda

o

i'd love to try some of these!!

thanks
jim - haymay

o

Jeanne, the pictures of your seedlings are beautiful! It is very kind of you to offer your extra seeds. I would love to get some. Sending you an email. Thanks!

o

picture are beautiful, i would love some of the daylily seed . thanks Zinaray

o

I would love, love, love some daylily seeds! Thanks so much for your generous offer! vina

o

I would love to have some seeds if you still have any. Please email me your address. You are so generous. Thank you. Your pics are beautiful.

Linda

o

hi hope im not too late with love some too lmk thanks Angela

o

I would love some daylily seeds. Please email me your address. Thanks so much.

Don

o

Thanks to everyone who responded to this offer, I might already have too many but I'll work my way through this list and see.

This offer is now closed.

Jeanne

o

Hello:Jeanne,
Your daylily blooms are pretty!
I am currently growing indoors around 100 crossed seedlings.
Takes 2 growing seasons for blooms.Worth the wait.
Once you start you will be addicted from growing daylilies from crossed seeds.

o

hi jeanne,
my dayliy seed are coming up, i checked today and 3 have started up. so happy Toni

o

one of your lilys in bloom

o

Jenanne
here are some of your cross lilys in bloom

o

more of your Lilys cross in my yard Jen

o

Lily

o

I started these cross lilys from jeannie seeds. she wanted to see the pictures its been I believe 3 yrs and now they bloomed very pretty thanks I hope she sees these pictures on the gw site July 2013 Bon

o

more

o

Jeanne Here are you Lilys in bloom from your swapped seeds I got your email hope you get to see them her in Bloom this yr 2 yrs later .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here