Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: have, but more of a query

Posted by mary_grether 7/8 (mary_grether@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 9:17

I have found some old seeds that I stored and forgot about. My question is how long can seeds be kept, are they no good? some I have are between 2-5 years old. They have been in the dark and dry.

I hope I put this on the right place! But I'd really like an answer before I put these seeds on here! should I throw them away??

your answers will be greatly appreciated, oh and if you want to try these old seeds, I would be glad to send you some, but first an answer please....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: have, but more of a query

They should be good if they have been stored properly (right enough temp, no moisture) , though the germination rate has dropped. It also depends on what kind of seeds they are. For example, I've always heard corn is good for 5-10 years, while other veggies are only good for 1-3 years. I suggest doing a little research on the types you have.

o

Thanks LullabyF360!

o

I just planted lettuce seeds from 2010 and had full germination.... the seeds were in a cardboard box that lived in Pennsylvania in the damp or humid garage, then moved to Delaware last year and survived a never ending heatwave and humidity in the garage & was planted 3 weeks ago.... has to be 100% germination... Mesclun mix & Black Seeded Simpson in record time. They're about 3 inches tall already!

Today I planted Red Beets, Kohlrabi (purple & white), carrots & a dozen pea seeds. These are all of varying ages... from 2010 & 2011. Fingers crossed they're all happy in their new homes!

I'm anxious to hear of other's results as well... I've got entirely too many pkgs of lettuce. Not sure what I've been thinking for the past few years of buying! It'll take me a few years to get them all planted.

Happy Gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here