Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunimrette

wanted: trading usa to canada- postage question

sunimrette
11 years ago

I know this topic has been done before, but apparently some of the policies have changed at the post office. I haven't traded seeds in a few years but when I did I never had trouble sending bubble mailers to Canada. However, when I tried last week the lady at my small local post office acted offended that I was asking to her mail my small bubble mailer to Canada. She said "that isn't an envelope, it is package. Packages need to have customs forms. That has to be done online or through the main post office in (nearby city)" She was very condescending like I should have known this, but silly me assumed that I could do the customs form at my own post office.

So, I went home and tried to do it online. Post office lady had told me that my 1.5oz bubble mailer would have to be mailed as a package, not an envelope, so I tried to print a postage online, but the cheapest option for shipping a small package to canada on the usps website was $27.50! I re-packaged it in a #10 envelope with thin pieces of cardboard and tissue paper for padding and stability... but I really prefer bubble mailers. I took it into town to the main post office and they charged me $1.10 to mail it and did not ask me to fill out a customs form.

Did I miss something? Isn't there a cost-effective way to send bubble mailers to canada? It isn't like it is overseas!

Comments (4)

• itzybitzy_gw
    11 years ago

Mmh... I had my first(and last) "trade" with Canada:( I payed $2.37 for a standar size buble envi,with no questions asked and it arrive!!.The problem is that I did not have a good experience with the trader. But I did get a rude e-mail saying to chillax is not heart medication:( Hope you get a better luck!

P.S They probably are going to ask you to post this in the "conversation area"...just guessing.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

So long as it meets the size requirements listed below, it can go as a Large Envelope Rate.
    Dimension Minimum* Maximum
    Height 6-1/8 inches 12 inches
    Length 11-1/2 inches 15 inches
    Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch

She said "that isn't an envelope, it is package.

{{gwi:11053}}

Sheesh!!! It is the same old problem that has been going on for years and years, ie postal clerks not knowing that a padded mailer can go as a large envelope so long as it meets the size and weight criteria. The USPS continues to overcharge customers rather than properly train all of their employees. Amazing!

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Tell me about it. The post office has gone crazy with paranoia of drugs, bombs, etc. Just last week I had to go to our post office to mail off a bunch of envelopes (including bubbled envelopes) for seed trades. I had no problem out of those, but when he got to the SASE to the garden hoard, he asked me what the envelope addressed to me was for. I told him it is an SASE for flower seeds. He flipped out & thought I was sending it off in return for weed!!! He even went as far as to call a cop in (the court house/police station is right across the street)!!!! The cop was skeptical. Apparently this guy is known for doing this. The cop asked me what it was for & where it was going. After I gave the brief answer, he laughed a little & bid us all a good day.

• trickster
    11 years ago

I too sent some seeds to Canada last spring in a Bubble envelope & had nio problems at my little Post Office. This was the first time I have done this, the only thing the person I traded with told me was that the seeds might be slow getting to him due to their customs or something like that, but everything went smooth. I too do have problems with Postal clerks though. Several times I have had plants or seeds arrive & not get a notice in my box, then I get that condescending tone when I have the nerve to call or come in and ask if I have a package. It's annoying I know.

Sponsored