Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kchd_gw

HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - Part 4

kchd
10 years ago

FYI, This thread closed on May 1st. Revisit the GW Seed Exchange again in the fall for the 2nd year of this effort.

Milkweed newbies: Have you ever thought about planting milkweed (Asclepias species) to provide habitat for monarchs in your own backyard?

Butterfly enthusiasts: Do you wish more gardeners would plant milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) in their gardens to support declining monarch populations?

Here's where we come together!

This is a variation of previous adopt-a-newbie swaps, but the focus of this swap is for milkweed seeds. This exchange will run through the end of the year, as milkweed growers have seeds become available that they want to share.

"Newbies" are considered to be gardeners who do not already have milkweed growing in their gardens.

As recently pointed out in a post by docmom, Monarch butterflies are currently in serious decline. Here in the US, where they spend their breeding season, Monarchs are directly faced with habitat destruction. Monarch butterflies exclusively use milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) as their host plants, upon which they lay eggs and their caterpillars feed on the milkweed until they pupate. The planting of milkweeds in home gardens can greatly aid in providing much needed habitat for their conservation. In addition to serving as host plants for monarchs, milkweeds also provide nectar for many other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.

Costs to the Milkweed Newbie Adoptee:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage. Sending a pack of milkweed seeds, in a bubble envelope or otherwise wrapped for protection, will cost approx. 2 or 3 first class stamps.

Milkweed Newbie Adoptees:
--Please make sure your email address is enabled to "show to members" on your member page. You need to do this in order to be put on the list so that you can be contacted.
--you can list any special requests for certain milkweed species, although there are no guarantees that species will be available.
--include your zone & state.

Traders who want to adopt a milkweed newbie:
--Please pick someone who lives in a hardiness zone where your milkweed species will grow and survive.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, state, and offer to adopt them.
--work out how many stamps they need to send to you to cover the cost of postage and packaging.

The host/hostess(es) will (that's me, and other helpful volunteers):
--compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see if you have been adopted.
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details for how much postage you need to send to pay for mailing your milkweed seeds.
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adoption went through).
--Post good feedback / thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

Hoping there is lots of interest in this exchange. Feel free to pass the word around to generate more interest.
Got questions? Feel free to ask them here.
Want more info on Monarchs and Milkweed? Visit Monarch Watch

Spring 2014 Monarch Migration map!

Triangles represent winter locations
Circles represent first adult monarch sightings to date this spring. You can see my yellow circle in MS :)

This post was edited by kchd on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:31

Comments (144)

• Pmb2005
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

butterfliis_mom I got your helpful link about germinating specific seeds, thank you!!!!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy to announce that my first monarch showed up in the yard today (nectaring on purple dead-nettle). If only my milkweed were up already! It is a really late spring here in c. Mississippi. Our only native blooms so far are spring beauty, violets, Carolina jessamine, wild plums, black cherry, redbuds, and the dogwoods just started blooming this weekend.

• domehomedee
    10 years ago

Thought I'd share a pic of my new baby. I have 5 cats in my garden at present. It's really early and I'm so glad I have some leaves for them to eat.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, what a beautiful photo of that 'pillar! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope your photo is an inspiration to all our milkweed newbies who will plant their milkweed seeds for our monarchs :)

• lilangel181
    10 years ago

Hello everyone! I would like to be a milkweed newbie, zone 5 mid-michigan. I just moved into a house with access to a small pond so if possible I'd really like something that won't mind wet roots in the summer and freezing in the winter.... though I have no idea what kind of conditions milkweed even likes.

Thank you so much, everyone!
    ~Laura

• llbiss
    10 years ago

I would love to be a milkweed newbie! I have several flower gardens that I could plant and grow milkweed in. Thank you for considering me!

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

Not sure about the other big box stores but Home Depot has a buy 1 get 1 free on seed packages - butterfly weed (A. tuberosa) being among them. :)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Katie
    The seeds you sent me came yesterday and I am amazed at how many you included! It's like Christmas all over again. . ..

Thank you so much. I am loving this new adventure and the butterflies will surely appreciate your generosity, too.

~Susie

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Susie! So glad to hear the seeds made it safely and that you are excited to get started planting them :)

Welcome newbies lilangel181 and llbiss! I have added you both to the list and now waiting for you to be adopted.

lilangel181, Asclepias incarnata would be a perfect species for you!

My Asclepias viridis is the first of my milkweeds to show its first leaves. Finally, the milkweeds are poking their heads up.

Katie

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

Does anyone have photos of milkweeds germinating?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you mean a photo of an actual seed with its first root, laid out on a damp paper towel? Or just seedlings at first emergence, above ground only? If the latter, I can take photos tomorrow.

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

Seedlings breaking through the soil and thereafter.

• amoocow421
    10 years ago

I bought a few plants several years ago at Lewis Ginter's volunteer tent, but I didn't know anything about seed saving back then. My plants overwintered the first year, but not the second.

I haven't seen the plants around here lately in any of my travels, so I'd love some seeds to help our butterfly friends.

If I get some, I'll be sure to save the pods for next year!

• buturfliis_mom
    10 years ago

Here is an update

Caw_in_zn5. Seeds are in the mail.

I never heard from the following after I emailed them twice.
    Dominicktgeplantlover
    Country-gardener
    Ajsmana

Pmb2005 is complete.

Detestingmonday has found seeds locally so Is complete..

So I am going to plant all my leftovers and I will try to help out more next fall. This is a great project. KCHD...Thank you so much for your time and energy!

• buturfliis_mom
    10 years ago

oops

a few more updates

i tried to contact ndgrad95 several times and I did not hear from them.

Sunnybichon is complete. Seeds have been mailed and received.

I emailed kell97 from the email that you gave me and did not hear from her.

I am really trying to give away these seeds!

• kygrl
    10 years ago

I just join Gardenweb and really would love some annual milk weeds seeds. if at all possible. But glad to get any you are offering. What a wonderful thing doing thus!
    Ruth
    Address:
    Ruth Bruner
    11411 Pleasant Drive
    Valley Station,KY 40272

• jackofalltrades11
    10 years ago

I would love to be adopted by someone from this area. I live close to Tupelo, MS. I know many of the milkweeds do better in the Southcentral area of the country, but I do have one or two wild ones on my place already. There are a few Joe Pye weeds in the low areas already as well. I live on an old farm with small sandy clay fields in between woodlots. I am doing everything I can to get as many different varieties of wildlife there as possible. Right now my priority is on the pollinators. Anyone willing to help please let me know.

This post was edited by jackofalltrades on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:37

• Desirai
    10 years ago

I just wanted to say thank you to the people who shared seeds with me. I have some asclepias growing and I'm excited. :)

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time for an update!

GW must be goofing up sending me thread updates because I haven't gotten posts emailed to me for days.... [grumble]

Anyhow, I will be incorporating everyone's updates and newbie requests into the list at the top (2nd post)

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NKUSigEp, a photo as requested of my Asclepias syriaca sprouts

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

amoocow421, Welcome! If you would be so kind as to list your state, I will add you to the list :)

buturfliis_mom, thanks so much for the update, and for helping to adopt so many newbies. You rock!! See you next fall :)

kygrl, Welcome! I strongly suggest that you edit your post to remove your complete name and mailing address. Someone with milkweed seeds will adopt you via email to adopt you. You should also consider editing your profile so that your hardiness zone and state shows :)

jackofalltrades, welcome! You should fix your profile as well to show zone 7b, MS. I would be happy to adopt you. You're just a hop, skip & jump away from me. I will send you an email, but if you don't receive it, please email me. Sometimes GW is glitchy sending emails.

Nice to hear from you, desirai! Congrats on your sprouts!!

Katie

• amoocow421
    10 years ago

Thanks...I'm in Virginia!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

amoocow421: Got it!

• jackofalltrades11
    10 years ago

Thank you for adopting me Katie. Since we are not too far apart, I should have no trouble with getting the best varieties for this area. I look forward to getting them started and seeing some butterflies use them. In the twenty plus years I have had this place, I can not say with confidence that I have seen a monarch butterfly there. I have a lot of swallowtails and some others, but I can not remember Monarchs. Hopefully, some will find me if I get enough attractants planted for them.

• cathybt9
    10 years ago

I am would love to be adopted. I have not seen a Monarch in years. I have a decent yard with plenty of room to plant things. I would love to provide a stop for weary butterflies. I am thinking of planting a Butterfly bush and a few others.

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I think it is fair to say that Spring is upon us. By now we are all busy in our gardens. I am closing this adoption thread to new participants (adoptees) by the end of the day on April 30th. Hopefully we can get the last few remaining newbies adopted out by mid-May.

A big thank you goes out to all the participants, but especially to the wonderful volunteers who adopted newbies along the way.

I'd be happy to keep this thread going to help any milkweed newbies with seed sowing and milkweed growing adventures.

Hope to see many of you back next fall, say around October, to commence the 2nd annual Adopt-a-Milkweed-Newbie thread!

Katie

• jhopgood
    9 years ago

Hi, I have a large swamp in front of my house which might be good for some milkweed, looking for it to be able to grow in full sun, zone 8.

• flip_ceballos
    9 years ago

Id like to be adopted. I live in texas, zone 8. c:

• flip_ceballos
    9 years ago

Id like to be adopted. I live in texas, zone 8. c:

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

flip_ceballos, I have added you to the list.

jhopgood, you need to list your state before you get added to the list.

Signups for this adoption ends at midnight, tonight!

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 21:52

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

My name is Stephanie, I live in zone 10 (long beach, ca)

I may be the last, but I would love to sow milkweed seeds in my garden, im currently growing a food forest both that has a healthy ecosystem, I would also like to give my share to my schools beautiful garden that dedicated a space for butterflies, its called butterfly sanctuary, im sure they'd love to include this in their garden

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stefaniechamo, you got in at the last second, LOL!

This thread is now closed to any additional newbies.

• cathybt9
    9 years ago

I have found out that these are the natives for my state Asclepias cryptoceras spp. davisii (Davis’ milkweed)
    Asclepias fascicularis (narrow-leaved milkweed)
    Asclepias speciosa (showy milkweed)

• tnotter75
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie, and would love to include milkweed in my yard. I live in Tennessee, zone 7a. I actually have a few acres and I'd like to plant a few patches. Adopt me!! :-))

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I wanted to let yall know that I have been adopted by xiangirl and sent off my SASE. Thank you very much!
    ~ Laura

• jhopgood
    9 years ago

Thanks to this list, I was adopted and received seeds from xiangirl yesterday. I promptly planted them. Hope they come up and I can start seeing some monarchs in my area. Kids loved the painted lady butterflies we did a couple years ago, so this will hopefully get them connected with a love for gardening.

• graceann82
    9 years ago

I would love to get adopted! I live in Minnesota(zone 4) and love monarch butterflies! adopt me:)

• tnotter75
    9 years ago

Hi xiangirl!! I'm newbie Trent here, and would love to include milkweed in my gardens. I live in Tennessee, zone 7a. My 5 y/o niece and I spend a lot of time gardening in the summer. I think this would be a wonderful learning opportunity for both of us. I actually have a few acres and I'd like to plant a few patches. Adopt me please!! :-))

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy cow! My apologies for not updating this list, but I have gotten ZERO emails letting me know that there has been any activity here.

With that being said, I will update the list ASAP and see who is left that needs to be adopted.

Katie

• rbreedi1
    9 years ago

I would love to plant some milkweed here at my place in Tennessee Zone 7b if someone wishes to adopt me! Thanks!

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI, recent posters -
    This thread closed
    on May 1st.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

{{gwi:61291}}
    Third year of milkweed I planted in our local park. It will bloom soon. Exciting to see it grow. I'm in zone 5.
    Heidi

• kchd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heidi, your milkweed looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

• tnotter75
    9 years ago

I'm dying to be adopted. I'm a newbie here, but I have all the resources except the seed. I could probably go roadside, but would rather be certain with plant ID. Hehe. I'm eager and love bringing the butterflies and hummingbirds around to marvel at. Thank you!!

• lenahall
    9 years ago

the seeds i received last year have sprouted (actually sprouted months ago, just haven't remembered to post). i direct sowed them into my seed bed, so there is also clover growing as well as some other unknowns that i'm allowing to grow and bloom - hopefully they are native as well.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Hey all, I just wanted to show pictures of my asclepias that I'm growing from seeds that you wonderful people donated to me!!!!! :)

{{gwi:61293}}

• klwallace12
    9 years ago

I'm brand new to gardening and would love to be adopted! ! Not sure how active this thread still is!! I love butterflies, haven't seen too many around my house. I am really looking for seeds only. Seems easier for me right now! Thanks! Happy Planting!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Saw my first monarch yesterday. Didn't get a picture of her but she was visiting everything but my swamp milkweed. I really hope there's lots more to come.

• bella20128
    9 years ago

I'd love to be adopted! Just joined this site so I'm a little confused hope this message works

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

This is the most activity I had with my milkweeds. My poor little milkweeds got chewed down! That's that point isn't it? My 1st year plants haven't flowered and I guess that means I won't have seed pods either.

Katie - This is a great project and very helpful to newbies. Thank you for your efforts to help the monarch butterfly!

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH