Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

HAVE: Pineapple Sage / Salvia elegans

EricaBraun
10 years ago

This plant has grown for many years in my yard. It is currently about 6' tall (would probably be taller if I didn't keep it pruned a couple times a year). It has beautiful blooms pretty much all year round here in zone 9. Hummingbirds love this plant. I see them taking nectar nearly every day. And it's not just good for the hummingbirds! The leaves smell marvelous when crushed and make a great tea.

Harvested from my garden. I use only organic practices. I never employ the use of herbicides or pesticides. Due to the difficulty of harvesting sage seeds, they may contain some chaff. Seed packs will contain a minimum of 20 seeds.

I am currently seeking herbs and veggies. Please take a look at my trade list for a detailed breakdown of the seeds I am in search of. Let's trade!

And finally, here is some useful information from Wikipedia: The leaves and flowers of S. elegans are edible.The plant is extensively used in Mexican traditional medicine, especially for the treatment of anxiety, and also for lowering of blood pressure. Although scientific information about these medicinal properties is scarce, a preliminary study on mice found support for the plant potentially having antidepressant and antianxiety properties. Pineapple sage has also been shown to have a dose-dependent antihypertensive effect, attributed to its action as an angiotensin II receptor antagonist and inhibitor of the angiotensin converting enzyme.

Comments (18)