Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

o
HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained list)

Posted by kilngod Z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 20:46

Thread is full.

Go to the link below for the active thread, Adopt-A-Newbie list 2.

. .
. .
. .
. The Adopt-A-Newbie list is back up and running!
(Huge thanks to ymaddox for hosting this from late 2011 through much of 2012. Nicely done, nicely done.)

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"Seeds only" adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--"Plants too" adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/ Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will (me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a "Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE" thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders. There is also an "Adopt-A-Milkweed-Newbie' list run by kchd. Check those out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list #2...go here to sign up.

This post was edited by kilngod on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 8:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained list)

Technical Help for Newbies

To make your state & zone show next to your screen name:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom left of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Membership Details',
-Add your state to the 'Garden Zone' box.

In that same place, you can:
-Add a 'blurb' about you, your garden, your overall interests and plant preferences.
-Select option to "Show my email address to: Members".
-Check the box for "Allow others to send you email from your profile page".

To make/edit your wants list:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom right of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Exchange Lists'.
-Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list (much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

Here is a link that might be useful: Shortcut to Member Pages

This post was edited by kilngod on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 9:17

o

I've only been a member of GW for a couple months. I hope I still count as a newbie, because I'd really love to get in on this. I am loving every second of the short time I've been here, but I still have a huge list of veggies, herbs and edible flowers that I am trying to acquire.

If I am lucky enough to get adopted I'd be more than happy to send my patron any seeds that I have that they need.

This really does sound like a great opportunity. If you need any more info from me, please let me know.

Thanks so much for considering me!
Erica

o

Erica, put your state in your zone box on your member page:

Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom right of this page),
Then click 'Edit Your Membership Details',
Add state to the 'Garden Zone' box.

o

Thanks, Tina. I think I have it right now.

o

Well done, Erica!
(We will start compiling the list when more newbies sign up.)

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 9:10

o

Tina, you did a fantastic job on the directions. Very detailed and understandable. Thanks. This is one of my ongoing favorites.
I'll be back to adopt someone in maybe a week
bethb

o

Thanks, Beth, you are dear. I adopted some of the improvements kchd had already made on the milkweed-newbie version of this (bravo kchd!). Then I overhauled it some more.

Come and get it, Newbies - We've got seeds for ya'! :)

-Tina

o

Hi! 👋 Thanks for the e-mail. I would fit on more of two and 3 on your list. I haven't traded very much and I lost my seeds last year in a move so I'm starting from scratch.

o

Yay, Lissatink! *See directions above to make your state show with your zone. Also, I can post your interests as "cottage garden, veggies" - sound accurate?

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:

Zone 9:
EricaBraun (9b CA) (interests: specialty/heirloom veggies,
medicinal herbs, oddities)

Zone 10:

o

I would love to be adopted I'm putting in my first vegetable/herb heirloom garden. I've been doing lots of reading on winter sowing and seed saving so i will be able to give back at 'seed harvest'.

o

Sounds good! I updated my list. I'm looking for easy to grow mostly annuals because I'm not sure how long I'll be here either. I think its all fixed with zone and state and what not. I'm easy to please so pretty much anything and I'll be stoked. ♡

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 22:16

kilngod/Tina, this looks awesome! So glad to see this effort revived. Thank you for doing so. I, too, will be back later to adopt some newbies :)

Katie

o

so glad to see this up and going again. thanks kilngod for taking it over. I have tried to adopt a few people this year, am extremely busy and unable to continue it this year; so was very excited to see that you had picked it back up. If I can help in any way please let me know.

o

I am so glad "adopt a newbie" is back. I will be back to adopt a newbie child....LOL!!

Tina, thanks much!

Annie

o

I will adopt Lissatink! I have seeds she is looking foe and in a like zone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade list

o

Wonderful to see y'all on board so quickly - kchd, ymaddox, canyonwind, aquawise, beth_b_kodiak!

Welcome newbies - vegpatch, EricaBraun, Lissatink!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:
EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities)

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.

o

I have been reading for many months, and finally signed up after seeing this today. I'd like to be adopted. I am in zone 6 (Kentucky). My interests are hot peppers, tomatoes, and annual flowers. Hopefully someone will have some of the things I am looking for :)

o

I had a garden back in 2009 and was half successful. We have moved since then and have 4 big adults to feed. We've agreed to do a garden this year as a family to help with the expensive grocery budget and the family bonding. I still consider myself a newbie as there is so much to learn still. We hope to have a big garden this year. We hope to plant at least a quarter to half an acre of land. I appreciate any help I can get for vegetable and fruit seeds of any kind. Thank you so much.

o

I started really gardening last year, but unfortunately, I didn't read enough in the beginning and most of our plants died. This year my girlfriend and I moved into an apartment with a balcony, so we'd be mostly container gardening. We have a little seed left from last year to begin with, but would love a larger variety if possible. Currently we live in zone 7 (Central Arkansas). Our interests are medicinal herbs, tea-making herbs, heirloom vegetables, fruit, and anything that bees love. Thank you very much!

o

Hello! This is the first year that I am diving into growing vegetables, herbs, and some fruit that will grow in my area. I would love any seeds and advice that anyone can spare. I have grown things on a very small scale in containers (mostly herbs), but this year I have built a few raised beds and am going to try it. I live in Indiana, zone 5. Thanks for any help!

o

Welcome to newbies AthenaASB, sunnybichon, Starrling, stevenms2007!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
vegpatch (5 CO) (veggie/herb heirloom; seed saving, wintersowing)
sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, aspires to 1/2 acre garden)
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; container gardening & new raised beds)
Zone 6:
AthenaASB (6 KY) (hot peppers, tomatoes, annual flowers)
Zone 7:
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; container gardening)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.

o

Hey, Tina. You forgot me on the "Current Newbies to be Adopted" post. I'm sure it was just an oversight, but I don't want to be left behind!

o

Yikes! I'm trying to avoid typing all the bold and font size commands each time, and sorting out a template system. But egads, it means not miss cutting and pasting an entry/name.

I think I've got an idea now to prevent this glitch in the future. Thanks, Erica!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; container gardening & new raised beds)
Zone 6:
AthenaASB (6 KY) (hot peppers, tomatoes, annual flowers)
Zone 7:
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; container gardening)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

o

Thanks so much, Tina!

o

I can adopt AlthenaASB.

o

Hi, I live in Tennessee, zone 7b and I would like to be adopted. My interests are veggies and fruit for my family, herbs, hummingbirds flowers, perennials, shade plants. Thank you for this opportunity and the newbie information here on Gardenweb!

o

Welcome newbie pmg200! Thanks roper2008 for adopting!

pmb2005, please put TN in your zone box (see directions for this in the 2nd post, top of this thread) as it will help future traders.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
pmb2005 (7b TN) (veggies, fruit, herbs, hummingbird & shade gardens, perennials)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

o

Still waiting for response from AlthenaASB. Sent an email.

o

I would love advice and/or seeds! There is so much I don't know. I live in SO.IL zone 5. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to plant ( and how much to spend).

o

Rooper2008, I would recommend allowing a week for response, then feel free to unadopt and switch to someone else. (Hoping it does not come to that, of course!)

I often do not check every day, typical of non-iphoners I believe. A week seems reasonable, inter-generational/inter-technological, and an easy increment to keep in mind.

o

Haven't been gardening for several years, and need to get it back up and running. I am looking for anything edible--trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers. Once I get it up and growing again, and will give back two-fold. Thank you! :)

o

Hello!

Newbie Gardener here! My husband and I bought a home last June and got overly zealous about planting flowers and unfortunately...most of them fried in the hot NC sun. We are located in eastern NC, zone 7. I am trying to create a cottage garden- I have an area that is full sun and another that is full sun/part shade in the backyard. Anything to help us get started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

o

I would love to be a part of the Adopt-A-Newbie seed exchange! I'm new to Garden Web and very new to gardening! I live in Central Florida - Zone 9B. We moved here about a year ago and I feel like our yard/landscaping is seriously lacking in relation to our neighbors. We already have large bricked-in flower beds on all four sides of the house plus around the trees but they are virtually empty. So I would love any flowers/shrubs, especially anything that is bright and colorful (personal favorites: hibiscus, gerbera daisies, etc.). I also love succulents/cacti. My husband and I are also interested in starting a vegetable and herb garden and don't currently have any seeds for that. So basically I'm interested in anything!! We have areas that are in full sun, part sun, and shade so I think almost anything would do well. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

o

kaylanw.....I will adopt you!!!! I just sent you an email via GW. If you do not receive it (which can happen.) send me an email!

Annie

o

All Newbies - Please list a state in your zone box, not just where they ask for your state or your note (*special directions above*). Thanks!

boredsogarden Please list your state (in your zone box), then we can put you on the list. Zone 8 VA is different than zone 8 AZ. Thanks!

Welcome, each and every one!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Vegetarian_atheist (5 So IL) (edible garden, veggies; clay soil)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
pmb2005 (7b TN) (veggies, fruit, herbs, hummingbird & shade gardens, perennials)
ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

kaylanw (9b FL central) (anything - flowers, shrubs, bright colors, cacti, succulants, veggies, herbs) - canyonwind

o

I can adopt sunnybichon. I can send some veggies... ....I am mailing milkweeds to her today so I will include some veggies. I do not need stamps or anything...

o

Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 23:06

I would like to adopt 2 folks:

Vegetarian_atheist (5 So IL) (edible garden, veggies; clay soil)

o

Thank you for the adoptions buturfliis_mom. I will post once received. Please note I will be out of town Tuesday through Thursday and will check the mail Friday this week.

o

HI there! My name is Ashley, and I am new to gardening, so new, in fact, that I just signed up for GardenWeb today! My kiddos and I decided that we prefer knowing where our food comes from, so we decided we are going to attempt to grow some of our own.

I am more than willing to send postage and whatnot to anyone who sponsors (is that the proper term?).

We live in Kansas (Zone 5), and we love our veggies, and I'm hoping to give tomatoes a go this year so I can do some canning to store some sauces and other such things for the winter. Also, I use a lot of herbs for medicinal purposes, so I feel growing my own would be more beneficial than hoping a health food store has dried versions, and probably cheaper too!

Thanks for your consideration!

o

Sorry about that. Virginia Beach, Virginia
Thank you!

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 11:58

Starrling and Vegetarian_atheist, I have sent an email to you both thru GardenWeb. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Katie

o

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing)
DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggie gardening, canning, medicinal herbs)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade)
Zone 8:
boredsogarden (8 VA) (anything edible--trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers)
Zone 9-10:

kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre garden) - buturfliis_mom
Vegetarian_atheist (5 So IL) (edible garden, veggies; clay soil) - kchd
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd

o

I can adopt sunnybichon!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade list

o

I will adopt Detesting Mondays.Getting a packet together now.
Bethb

o

kaylanw and I have touched base.....I am gone for a few days so will get "seeds" out on my return.

Thanks!

Annie

o

Mailed seeds to sunnybichon today...

o

Hello! I'm a newbie looking for adoption.

I was introduced to this website from a friend member: tylorgv. Thanks Tylor! I'm from CA (Zone 10) and would love any flower seeds!

Also, happy first day of spring!

o

Just joined today, I am excited to see what I can grow/harvest this year. I want to be able to have enough produce not just for myself but for some families that I already know could use the help of just having some fresh vegies to eat with their meals.
I am looking for almost any herb, vegie and edible flowers I can get my hands on. :)

This post was edited by kajira4master on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 16:22

o

I would like to adopt vegpatch, as I have several things from their "want list".

o

I will take stevenms2007
Thought I would take ker06b as well since I have extra stuff they would like.

This post was edited by pdsavage on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 12:50

o

spacetogrow Thank you for adopting me

Volunteered to adopt me (hurray)!! :^) We are in contact via email... I am immensely excited to grow food that will actually contain nutrients... bye-bye cardboard tomatoes.

Christine

o

Hey everyone!

I would love to be adopted! I am a total newbie to the forums, and my last garden was when I was a teenager (and it was not successful!) I am a busy nursing student, but I have a 3-year-old daughter who I really want to start a garden with! I am planning on growing tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and beans (or maybe snap peas).

This is such a cool idea! I'm so excited!

-Jenny

o

I'm in as an adopter and I'll adopt Jennyblu and Janedchang :)

o

kajira4master, please post your state in your zone box, and we can add you to the list once we know where you are. Directions for this are above.

Thanks! And welcome aboard!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
boredsogarden (8 VA) (anything edible--trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers)
Zone 9-10:

kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd
DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade) - pdsavage
jennyblu (6 unk) (veggies, kid garden) - socalgardengal
janedchang (10 CA) (any flowers) - socalgardengal

o

Hi all.

I just joined today and haven't done any gardening since I was a kid. I'm making changes towards a more healthy lifestyle and figured going back to gardening would help. I'd like to start off with herbs, veggies and anything else that will thrive in my zone.

Thanks!

o

I'll take pmb2005. He's been on the wait list a while.
bb

o

Hi I am a newbie here, I hope to goodness I am doing this right. I am in need of anything and everything I can acquire.I recently got to move back to my childhood home, and I am starting completely over. I am without any flowers, veggies, plants. Everything. It seems that someone removed all the plants and flowers my Mom and great grandma planted so I have a blank canvas to fill in. I am in NC, zone 7. Thank you for your time everyone! I look forward to "growing" friendships!

o

pmb2005 and I have been in touch and are "good to go"

o

Am home now....Getting my seeds together for Kaylaw tonight/tomorrow. I see that boredsogarden and flipflopsfor me need everything, so I will adopt them as well.
I will email bored and flipflop in a bit. If you do not receive an email from me because it gets lost in space, please email me.

Thanks,

Annie

o

boredsogarden and flipflopforme....just emailed you both via GW.

Thanks!

Annie

o

Annie, thank you so much for adopting me! I just emailed you back, and I hope I did it correctly, if not please let me know. I am learning my way around here. I am so excited!

o

Got in touch with stevenms2007 and ker06b will be waiting for postage and going through what to send them.

o

Flipflopsforme....you did good!!! I received your email. Emailed you back!

Boredsogarden, I will wait to hear from you!

Annie

o

Received seeds from buturfliis_mom today. Thank you soo much.

o

Boredsogarden and I have touched base!

Kaylaw, Flipflopsforme and Boredsogarden....I will be putting your seed packages together tomorrow. I should get them out in the next few days.

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

o

Flipflopsforme, make sure and email me your full name and address. If you already sent, I did not receive!

Annie

o

Hi there,
I am new to gardening and found this forum that seems to have a lot of great info! I am building raised boxes and am looking to do a vegetable and herb garden with all of the basics. I live in eastern WA. I would love to get a variety of hot peppers as well! I am having a lot of fun learning and starting a new hobby. Thanks for your time!
-Tom

o

I talked to and mailed out seeds to both jennyblu and janedchang. They should receive them today or tomorrow.
I would also like to adopt tdionne63. Thanks :)

o

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post thisbut does anyone have any catnip seeds? I had a large plant and it died and the cats love it. I have looked high and low for more seeds or a plant but no lluck.

o

kayla, boresogarden and flipflops.....your seeds went out yesterday. P.O. says delivery Saturday.....I don't know about that!!!! I would guess maybe Monday or Tuesday. If going by the pony express, maybe two, three or four weeks from now. USPS is not on my favorites list!!

Post when you receive and ENJOY!!

Annie

o

Just a note... contacted tdionne63 and received response back. Mailing seeds out to him today.

o

I received the seeds from socalgardengal. Thank you so much!!! There were so many different varieties! I can't wait to plant....Ps I will be posting a picture to Instagram soon sharing my gift. I hope you don't mind!

o

I'm happy to share Jane! Happy Gardening :) I don't mind if you share or post a photo, Enjoy and Good Luck

o

So today I went to the mailbox and I felt like I had won the lottery! My seeds from canyonwind came today! Thank you so much, I am beyond thrilled and excited!!!!

o

I got my seeds yesterday! Love them! Thanks Beth!!

o

I am excited to see what I can grow/harvest this year. I want to be able to have enough produce not just for myself but for some families that I already know could use the help of just having some fresh vegies to eat with their meals.
I am looking for almost any herb, vegie and edible flowers I can get my hands on. :)
Thank you in advance!!

o

njack41980, we need both your zone and state in your zone boxes, then right onto the list you go!

*Lissatink, you can post for trading on the main seed exchange board. See the link below.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
kajira4master (6 KS) (veggies, herbs, edible flowers)
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
boredsogarden (8 VA) (trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers) - canyonwind
tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange Board

o

I am the red-headed step-child that no one wants!

o

seeds went out to pmb2005 yesterday

o

Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 21:53

HA!

I'll take you, Erica. Send me an email and lets get in touch. I'm sure I have some stuff you'll like :)

o

It appears that kajira4master has yet to be adopted. If so, I offer to adopt. PLMK and, if acceptable, we can proceed. ;)

o

Updated my profile with the state.

o

Wow, what a great idea! I'd love to be adopted. I have gardened for many years, but mostly flowers and shrubs, and not vegetables other than a couple of cherry tomato plants in pots, and a couple of zucchini. I was very sick last year and have made some big changes to my diet. I am planning to grow a pea patch in town because I have very little full sun space in my yard. I am really looking forward to trying some vegetables there this year, with good healthy food for healing.

I have a big hillside in my yard that is mostly sunny and I grow things there that take little care (seeds I can scatter, etc.). I love perennials-- Canterbury bells, poppies, coreopsis, gaillardia. I have one area that is heavily shaded and very dry and I am trying hard to figure out what I can grow there. I don't have much seed now, but I would be happy to save some this year and share. I have lots of yellow four-o-clocks. Thanks so much!

This post was edited by ptpulley on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 4:18

o

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
njack41980 (5 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, herbs, anything)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy lifestyle veggies, ez sun scatter perennials, dry shade)
Zone 9-10:

flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal
EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd
kajira4master (6 KS) (veggies, herbs, edible flowers) - cryptid

o

Hello Im new to gardening/homesteading. Im striking out raising chickens this year and going bigger from a 12x12 garden ( last few years) to a 75x75 plot of rows im going to make in the next week or so.

I mostly have tomato,kale,corn and a mixed bag of others. I really want to do a big plot of potatoes since they stay so long and I had some success with them last year although we ate all the potential new plants! If anyone can help I dont mind paying for postage etc. and could use any suggestions. Thanks and great idea btw.

o

Canyonwind, I received my wonderful package of seeds today! Thank you so so much for your generosity!! I am so excited and have already planted several of the seeds in my seed starter. Thanks again!!!

o

I would like to be considered for adoption. I am trying to get the hang of this. I am trying to acquire various edibles to sustain my family, as food in this area seems to be rising. Not alot of money for seeds with two little ones under foot, but we would appreciate the help. I have random seeds I could trade out as well. Father-in-law had a hoard of seeds that wouldnt do well here.

o

I would like to be adopted please!!! I do have some marigold seeds I can swap, but I am open to anything except vegetables. I just don't have room for veggies. I have hedges that I would like flowers in front of, a tree to circle with flowers. A driveway to edge in something...I am not too picky.....

o

Hi everyone, I would like to join the list as I've recently moved and now have room to garden. We homeschool our children and any seeds will be greatly appreciated. Mainly looking for edibles but flowers are welcomed. Thanks

o

Boredsogarden sent me an email a few days ago. She did receive her seeds in the mail.........my three adoptions are complete.

Will come back and look for another to adopt later!

Annie

o

Hello and thank you for having such an awesome concept! A little more about me, I am a single mother, looking to provide my family with healthier options, unfortunately the grocery store isn't cost effective for us. If we choose to eat healthy, its much more difficult for us to stay in budget and a garden is something we luckily have the space to do. Last year, I did some container gardening and had some success, however I still feel relatively new and incompetent as far as gardening goes. I'm very open to any advice and suggestions and it would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I don't work so I have a great deal of time to spend tending to a garden and making sure that it has the attention it needs! Unfortunately without having my own income, I don't have the budget to allow for seeds. Please help me keep my family fed and healthy!!!

o

I would love to be considered for adoption! I am new to growing from seed and am anxious to get started. I am in the process of building a raised garden for vegetables. I also have flower beds and containers for my front yard. I will have seeds available to trade soon. :) My daughter is excited about helping with tending to a garden and eating our finished products! :)

o

I received seeds from beth_b_kodiak. Thank you so much Beth for adopting me. You are appreciated!!!!

o

Welcome dvagb!

thedudefrom1976 (NY?), thewallawallaian89 (WA?), Orchidllauraga (AL?), Detrak (PA?), llbiss (SW?) - please list your state in your zone box (directions above) and we'll get you put on the list.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food)
Zone 5:
njack41980 (5 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, herbs, anything)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy lifestyle veggies, ez sun scatter perennials, dry shade)
Zone 9-10:

Lissatink (5 MA) (cottage garden annuals, veggies) - Aquawise
AthenaASB (6 KY) (hot peppers, tomatoes, annual flowers) - roper2008
EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd

o

I think I am going to make it without being adopted - I've been able to make trades in spite of my low seed count - people don't seem to mind. So I am withdrawing my request. Wish me luck!

This post was edited by twintoes on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:27

o
RE: : Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained list)

I would love to be adopted!!! I only have a few marigold seeds to trade, but they were harvested last fall. They were kept in a cool dark place all winter.

I would love perennials seeds and cacti and succulents, and veggies that can be grown in big pots, I don't have a lot of grass and I want to grow a few veggies and flowers in the pots, instead of raised beds...

Thank any and every one in advance that may adopt me.
Yours truly,
Orchid/Laura

P.S. I will gladly pay postage!!!

o

Newbie for Adoption. :)

I'm in Central Arkansas, Zone 7, just starting out this year with a shady cottage type garden. Given the limited sunlight in my space, I'm mostly interested in medicinal herbs and florals, but have some space for veggies... maybe some bushy tomatoes or squash? I'm also trying to collect some noxious species to feature in they're own little curio corner, and would love to create a space that's welcoming to little critters... particularly moths and mantids.

o

Hi,

I just joined Garden Web today, and found this post while browsing the seed exchange forum. I would love to be adopted. I started gardening a year ago and am addicted. I am mainly interested in growing edibles, especially fruits and vegetables that are hard or impossible to find in stores. I have a lot of young fruit trees growing, and should have a large variety of interesting seeds to trade in the future. I do have some seeds ready for trading now (mostly edible and medicinal plants), so please take a look at my trade list.

Thanks!

o

Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 11:42

Here's an update from me re: my adoptions

Received their seeds and are looking forward to growing them :)

I have received stamps from Erica and will be packing up seeds and sending them on their way this week!

I have emailed them a few times since mid-March. Upon initial contact, they agreed to be adopted, but I have not heard anything back via email after that nor have I received stamps. I will give them a month from when I provided them with my mailing address (March 23).

o

llbiss....i will adopt you! I will be sending you an email shortly via GW. If you do not receive, please email me.

Thanks!

Annie

o

I have joined GW just today and I'm in heaven! I have some experience with my backyard garden, but have been limited due to lack of sun. I am now a member of a nearby community plot and so I have room to grow lots of stuff! I am very interested in learning how to save seeds, and it sounds like I will be able to find seeds for all kinds of tried and true veggies that have great taste! I would be very grateful to be adopted and I promise I will pay it forward!!

Thank you so much!! Jennifer

o

I will adopt njack41980. Njack, I will send an email - please post if you don't hear from me. Thanks!
Lisa

o

I would love to be adopted. I have so many questions. I have been reading GW for awhile now asking question here and there. I have a lot of flowers in my garden which consist of plants I am successful growing. This year I have added some new items and will need a lot of help. I am just starting to learn about soil and fertilizing etc and I'm amazed I was able to grow anything at all without knowing these things.

My established plants - Roses, Rhodedendrons, Burning Bush, & Lilies (and more)

I have some failures too!

New this year - Snowball, Hydrangeas, Meyer Lemon Tree & Peonies

Can't want for my adoption:)

o

Hello! I'm brand new to GW and this will be the first season in about 4 years that I've done any gardening. Starting out fresh, and I'd love to get some heirloom seeds to get started. Looking primarily for edibles. I'm in northeast PA, zone 6a, and will be doing both container and row gardening.

I also have a few large flower/shrub gardens on the property that are primarily bulbs and perennials, and I am trying to establish a wildflower border along the edge of the woods, where it is partly shaded.

o

I am interested in all edibles. trying to make a recycled pallet garden this year. If any one is interested in adopting me please let me know.
Amber

o

**kchd**, I'd move on after about a week for first contact, not more than another week for postage. (You can feel free to move to your next newbie! Otherwise spring plantin' time will just keep sliding by. Newbies arrive in droves in the spring.) An absent newbie can always come back and 'redo'.

**thewallawallaian89**, that box should have both your zone and your state - yours should look like this: 7a WA

**madakatude**, yours should look like this: 6a NY, otherwise you are in ANY state :)

**LainaBerry**, update your box to look like this: 7 central AR

I will update the list shortly.

o

llbiss, I received your response to my email but you did not include your name and address....please email me with that info!

Thanks much!

Annie

o

I received my seeds from socalgardengal in the mail. I am so excited! What a great variety!! Thank you so much!

o

Hey, I would love to adopt a newbie. In fact, I could probably adopt many newbies if they aren't too picky about zones, because I collect seeds from so many zones. I have many seeds to share.

My zone is 7b-8a but I have seeds that are hardy from zones 3 to 10

edit: I should note, 98% of my seeds are flowers, and I can't guarantee any of them are edible flowers. I deal mostly with perennials and a few annuals.

This post was edited by Desirai on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:05

o

Hello, I just started gardening last year by accident, and I really loved it! Because of that, this year I decided to start a 'planned' garden, and have so far planted beets that have a really low germination rate, garlic that sprouted on the counter, sugar snap peas, and a potato plant that just popped up in my planting bed for no apparent reason. Most of the gardening I do is second-chance, which means that I plant things that grow in our compost bin, or that sprout in forgotten areas of the fridge, pantry, or counter. This year is the first year I have planted seeds from a packet, and I would love to join the Adopt-a-Newbie Program, although I have never done a seed exchange or anything like this before so please be patient! :)
I am in zone 7b, North Carolina, and I am interested in growing anything edible and maybe even some really pretty flowers/perennials for my mom to enjoy. I also have clay soil, if that is of any importance. Thanks!

This post was edited by Young.Gardener123 on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 11:34

o

Hey young.
I have a few things on my list your mom may like. I also have some other things that i just picked up that you can have for SASBE. Email me if youre interested

o

Thank you so much, but I think I am more interested in edibles in general. I hope I don't sound ungrateful, and I really appreciate your offer, but I don't have much room for flowers so I would rather focus on the food crops for the Newbie-Exchange and then plant some flowers under a tree in our backyard if I have the time and money. :)

This post was edited by Young.Gardener123 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 23:29

o

llbiss...your seeds went out today. Hopefully, you receive early next week! Post when you receive! Any "Q"s, please ask!

And I will adopt nerfyjen...Jennifer, I will email you over the weekend!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 0:13

o

Sorry, I've updated my zone: Should be showing Z6 Pa now

o

Thank you Annie!!

o

This was a big update. If I've missed something, just post a note.

Desirai - Just start adopting (claiming) people. You call 'em and you got 'em. :)

Btw, y'all, I love when a newbie almost adopts another newbie. :) You go wallawalla and young, even if it did not pan out.

thedudefrom1976 (NY?) - please list your state in your zone box (directions above) and we'll get you put on the list.
LainaBerry, please put "7 AL" in your zone box.
Young.Gardener123, please put "7b NC" " " ".

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving)
madakatude (6a NY) (advice: flowers, flowering shrubs, soil buiding)
Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers and row, woodland & wildflowers)
Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims)
Zone 7:
Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies)
thewallawallaian89 (7 WA) (edibles, recycled pallet garden)
Young.Gardener123 (7b NC) (edibles, flowers; clay soil)
Zone 8:
FruitaholicLamb (8 central TX) (specialty edibles)
Zone 9-10:

llbiss (7 unk) (veggies, flowers; containers, raised garden) - canyonwind
njack41980 (5 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, herbs, anything) - LilyD74

o

Kilngod....I adopted nerfyjen (Jennifer) zone 6 last night!

Emailing nerfyjen shortly via GW. Jennifer, if you do not receive, please email me!

Happy Saturday!

Annie

o

Big thank you to Cryptid. Got the wonderful seeds today, will be planting them tomorrow and eventually lots of families will benefit from your kindness!

o

This was a big update. If I've missed something, just post a note.

Desirai - Just start adopting (claiming) people. You call 'em and you got 'em. :)

Btw, y'all, I love when a newbie almost adopts another newbie. :) You go wallawalla and young, even if it did not pan out.

thedudefrom1976 (NY?) - please list your state in your zone box (directions above) and we'll get you put on the list.
LainaBerry, please put "7 AL" in your zone box.
Young.Gardener123, please put "7b NC" " " ".

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers and row, woodland & wildflowers)
Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims)
Zone 7:
Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies)
LainaBerry (7 AK) (shady cottage garden, medicinals, flowers, fragrants, moth&mantid)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving) - canyonwind

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:27

o

I a very new to this, actually just joined today. I am very interested in getting involved with the seed exchange, but considering we are new, I have nothing to offer as of yet. I would love to be adopted as my husband and I are going to be starting a small "garden" per se on our apartment terrace. Mostly round and long containers as don't have a lot of room to work with, but we want to use every inch we can. we are using this "garden" to teach my 5 year old about growing your own food and also using for science and match education. We may also share some of the seeds with this daycare class as they are looking to use for educational purposes as well. I hope someone feels so compelled to share their knowledge and seeds for this cause.

o

I am so a newbie. I joined this site February and while i have managed two trades I am completely overwhelmed. I have no idea how to access and update my info, ., how to post available trades, etc. I am lost.

I am keen on edibles and have seeds to trade/donate to any mentor. I have traditional farm seed - live in the high country of TN - and love tomatoes, etc and herbs. And patience - no the plant ::hahaha::

Help?
Mila

o

ok updated my area info in member page

o

Hey,

I adopted 2 people but I don't know their forum names. haha oops. :) I'll have to get their names.

I sent 13 packets of seeds to each of them.

o

Oh my goodness!! It feels like Christmas! I received a great assortment of seeds from Annie (Canyonwind)!! I am ready for the weather to clear up so I can play in the dirt.

o

Notes for Folks:

Celticmommy, state & zone in zone box please. Directions above. Then we can put you on the list.
CrazyCatMomma, put "6a TN" in zone box please. Directions above. I'll update the list soon.

Desirai, please post here right when you contact someone to adopt them from the list. I aim to take them off the list then, rather than after you send. Otherwise someone else adopts them too, and as you see, we have lots of newbies on the list and should not double up. Thanks much, and lmk who they are when you get their screen names sorted.

o

Can I join the group? Although I registered here a while ago, I think I'm pretty much a newbie as I haven't been on the site for years - and, we just moved to San Diego two weeks ago and I had to leave my plants and containers behind. I'm working on a "rescue" garden that consists of discarded bits of succulent that I'm finding on our walks...but I have bigger sights for my morning-sun-receiving decks! It all feels very new going from the climate in central Texas to here and I feel like my entire knowledge database is off! Thanks for considering adding me!

o

I'll adopt magical_isis! I live in San Diego and can offer tips and seeds! I will email them in alittle bit.

o

nerfyjen, your seeds are headed your way. I would not go near a post office today, so I put them in my mailbox. I would think you should receive on Friday or Saturday. Post when you receive.....Enjoy!

Annie

o

one of the newbies I adopted was dvagb the other hasn't responded to my email yet

o

I adopt Weicker & Detrak, the PA veggie crew. Just sent y'all emails.

-Tina

(I'll update the list in a few days.)

o

I received my wonderful seeds today from kchd! It's all marvelous. I can't wait to get it all planted!

o

Seeds sent to njack41980 two days ago; hope you enjoy them!

o

Annie/Canyonwind - I received my seeds! I feel like it is Christmas in April - I am SO EXCITED to get these going!!! Thank you so much!!!
Jennifer

o

I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, Black Pansy's thorneless raspberry's. A bit about me. I love African Violets , Black Pansy's, Violets. I am looking for Thorneless raspberry's, Blue potatoes, Black Pansy's, Viola's . Heirloom seeds for the vegetable garden.I love house plants also I have Angel wing begonia split leaf philodendron, Queen of the night and Aloe.

o

I am excited to be a part of this group. We are trying to get a patio container garden going at our apartment this year. We don't have a lot of growing experience, we tried lettuce and some flowers last year but got a late start. Our son is 5 and wants to grow a garden. We want to use it for fun and function but also as an educational project for him as well. He loves to measure, analyze and very hands on. I think this would be a great opportunity to introduce him to that and learn about nature and where food comes from.
We are looking for easy to grow plants, that have success in sun only for part of the day. Flowers, veggies, lettuces etc. I hope someone wants to adopt us....

o

I adopt thedudefrom1976!

Desirai, thank you extra for adopting dvagb (who has been on the list since the beginning of this recent surge)! When you figure out who your other adoption was, post I can remove them from the list.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
CrazyCatMomma (6a highland TN) (edibles, tomatoes, herbs; technical GW tips)
Zone 7:
LainaBerry (7 AK) (shady cottage garden, medicinals, flowers, fragrants, moth&mantid)
Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs)
celticmommy (7 MD) (5-yr-old learner, veggies, flowers, lettuce; part sun containers)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving) - canyonwind
magical_isis (10 so CA) (new climate, succulents; containers) - socalgardengal
Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers/row, woodland & wildflowers) - kilngod
Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims) - kilngod
dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food) - Desirai
thedudefrom1976 (6 NY) (veggies; homesteading, larger gardening) - kilngod
****** 2 5 Adoptions ! ! ******
Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies) - Desirai

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 20:00

o

Hey,

My other newbie was Orchidllauraga :)

o

Ldylahla requested an adoption on the Off-Topic Conversations Newbie post by Chemocurl. I wrote to her and offered to adopt her. If it comes through I will keep you posted. Jen

This post was edited by jensyen on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:30

o

I can adopt CrazyCatMomma if she's amenable. I've sent her an email.

Caryl

o

Hi Jensyen, I sent Ldylahla an email for her to post her to get on this list (and I put post on that thread).

Thank you bunches for your huge and kind heart! You can do as you wish off-list, but I really hope you adopt one of these diligent folks listed above! And keep guiding wayward newbies to post here.

For the list on this thread, we must stick with the newbies that post here rather than automatically including newbies who post elsewhere. Out of respect for the newbies above who are awaiting adoption (who have posted here and sorted their member pages according to instructions), I shan't add her to the list or to the adoptions until she posts here.

Thanks,
Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 18:51

o

LainaBerry, I sent you an email to adopt you. Please reply if you want seeds from me. Thanks, Jen

o

Heard from CrazyCatMomma and will send her a packet of seeds as soon as I get her address.

o

If CelticMommy is still available I'd be more than happy to send some for her? I'll email her now. Can also help her with any questions she might have about the seeds I'll send. ~VP.

This post was edited by VikingPrincess on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:25

o

hi all =)

i would like to adopt fruitaholiclamb, as i think i can fufil at least some of their most wanted list in zone 8 as well.

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:59

o

OK CelticMommy wrote and said she's already been "claimed," LOL. Kirsten.

o

CelticMommy hasn't been claimed here.

***Hey y'all, if you adopt someone, please post here so I can take them off the list, and so they know you are legit.***

(Yes, there are scammers sometimes, and part of this list's function is to validate deals just by making them public.)

...and huge thank yous to everyone who adopts. It's a great thing, you make a personal difference in the world!

This post was edited by kilngod on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 20:22

o

OK I just emailed with Kilngod I'm going to adopt both ptpulley and madakatude. I'll email you both shortly to tell you what I have available and arrange the packages. Kirsten.

o

• Posted by Cirrus Indiana, USA (5) (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:24

I've poked around many, many a day on the forums here, and finally made an account today. I would love to get an herb garden started this year. My interests are in tea and medicinal herbs, succulents and cacti, and trees. However, more than anything I enjoy surprises- so add "random/grab bag/any" to the list, too! I prefer indoor planting / potted planting, if this makes a difference. (But, I'm up for anything!)
Sad story time: When I was about 11, I had to move across the country about 2 months after I had 3 tiny maple trees start growing in a long trough-like pencil holder in my windowsill. My parents said I couldn't take them with us, even though I said I would hold them in my lap the entire way there (in the car!) I loved my "tiny trees". I planted them in my favorite hiding spot, but when I moved back to the area, construction had destroyed where I planted them. Ever since then, I've wanted to grow more trees but just can't seem to get them going... :( But, that hasn't stopped me from trying!!

Therefore, I am also looking for tips, advice, and suggestions on how to plant and maintain any seeds or plants provided me. Thank you so much for considering me!!

This post was edited by Cirrus on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:56

o

Got my seeds from LilyD! Thanks again!

o

I could adopt Cirrus if no one else has yet. I have several offsets of my succulents to send out and a lot of arugula and calendula seeds to share.

I wonder if I can be a "newbie" as well as I really want rex begonia, gloriosa lily and Dischida pectinoides, but so far no one has come through with trading these plants yet. Thanks, Tina!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here