Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained list)

kilngod
10 years ago

Thread is full.
Go to the link below for the active thread, Adopt-A-Newbie list 2.
. .
. .
. .
. The Adopt-A-Newbie list is back up and running!
(Huge thanks to ymaddox for hosting this from late 2011 through much of 2012. Nicely done, nicely done.)

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"Seeds only" adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--"Plants too" adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/ Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will (me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a "Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE" thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders. There is also an "Adopt-A-Milkweed-Newbie' list run by kchd. Check those out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list #2...go here to sign up.

This post was edited by kilngod on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 8:04

Comments (150)

• Nerfyjen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have joined GW just today and I'm in heaven! I have some experience with my backyard garden, but have been limited due to lack of sun. I am now a member of a nearby community plot and so I have room to grow lots of stuff! I am very interested in learning how to save seeds, and it sounds like I will be able to find seeds for all kinds of tried and true veggies that have great taste! I would be very grateful to be adopted and I promise I will pay it forward!!

Thank you so much!! Jennifer

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    9 years ago

I will adopt njack41980. Njack, I will send an email - please post if you don't hear from me. Thanks!
    Lisa

• madakatude
    9 years ago

I would love to be adopted. I have so many questions. I have been reading GW for awhile now asking question here and there. I have a lot of flowers in my garden which consist of plants I am successful growing. This year I have added some new items and will need a lot of help. I am just starting to learn about soil and fertilizing etc and I'm amazed I was able to grow anything at all without knowing these things.

My established plants - Roses, Rhodedendrons, Burning Bush, & Lilies (and more)

I have some failures too!

New this year - Snowball, Hydrangeas, Meyer Lemon Tree & Peonies

Can't want for my adoption:)

• Weicker
    9 years ago

Hello! I'm brand new to GW and this will be the first season in about 4 years that I've done any gardening. Starting out fresh, and I'd love to get some heirloom seeds to get started. Looking primarily for edibles. I'm in northeast PA, zone 6a, and will be doing both container and row gardening.

I also have a few large flower/shrub gardens on the property that are primarily bulbs and perennials, and I am trying to establish a wildflower border along the edge of the woods, where it is partly shaded.

• thewallawallaian89
    9 years ago

I am interested in all edibles. trying to make a recycled pallet garden this year. If any one is interested in adopting me please let me know.
    Amber

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

**kchd**, I'd move on after about a week for first contact, not more than another week for postage. (You can feel free to move to your next newbie! Otherwise spring plantin' time will just keep sliding by. Newbies arrive in droves in the spring.) An absent newbie can always come back and 'redo'.

**thewallawallaian89**, that box should have both your zone and your state - yours should look like this: 7a WA

**madakatude**, yours should look like this: 6a NY, otherwise you are in ANY state :)

**LainaBerry**, update your box to look like this: 7 central AR

I will update the list shortly.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

llbiss, I received your response to my email but you did not include your name and address....please email me with that info!

Thanks much!

Annie

• jennyblu
    9 years ago

I received my seeds from socalgardengal in the mail. I am so excited! What a great variety!! Thank you so much!

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Hey, I would love to adopt a newbie. In fact, I could probably adopt many newbies if they aren't too picky about zones, because I collect seeds from so many zones. I have many seeds to share.

My zone is 7b-8a but I have seeds that are hardy from zones 3 to 10

edit: I should note, 98% of my seeds are flowers, and I can't guarantee any of them are edible flowers. I deal mostly with perennials and a few annuals.

This post was edited by Desirai on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:05

• young_gardener123
    9 years ago

Hello, I just started gardening last year by accident, and I really loved it! Because of that, this year I decided to start a 'planned' garden, and have so far planted beets that have a really low germination rate, garlic that sprouted on the counter, sugar snap peas, and a potato plant that just popped up in my planting bed for no apparent reason. Most of the gardening I do is second-chance, which means that I plant things that grow in our compost bin, or that sprout in forgotten areas of the fridge, pantry, or counter. This year is the first year I have planted seeds from a packet, and I would love to join the Adopt-a-Newbie Program, although I have never done a seed exchange or anything like this before so please be patient! :)
    I am in zone 7b, North Carolina, and I am interested in growing anything edible and maybe even some really pretty flowers/perennials for my mom to enjoy. I also have clay soil, if that is of any importance. Thanks!

This post was edited by Young.Gardener123 on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 11:34

• thewallawallaian89
    9 years ago

Hey young.
    I have a few things on my list your mom may like. I also have some other things that i just picked up that you can have for SASBE. Email me if youre interested

• young_gardener123
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, but I think I am more interested in edibles in general. I hope I don't sound ungrateful, and I really appreciate your offer, but I don't have much room for flowers so I would rather focus on the food crops for the Newbie-Exchange and then plant some flowers under a tree in our backyard if I have the time and money. :)

This post was edited by Young.Gardener123 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 23:29

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

llbiss...your seeds went out today. Hopefully, you receive early next week! Post when you receive! Any "Q"s, please ask!

And I will adopt nerfyjen...Jennifer, I will email you over the weekend!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 0:13

• detrak
    9 years ago

Sorry, I've updated my zone: Should be showing Z6 Pa now

• Nerfyjen
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie!!

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was a big update. If I've missed something, just post a note.

Desirai - Just start adopting (claiming) people. You call 'em and you got 'em. :)

Btw, y'all, I love when a newbie almost adopts another newbie. :) You go wallawalla and young, even if it did not pan out.

thedudefrom1976 (NY?) - please list your state in your zone box (directions above) and we'll get you put on the list.
    LainaBerry, please put "7 AL" in your zone box.
    Young.Gardener123, please put "7b NC" " " ".

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    Zone 2-3:
    Zone 4:
    dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food)
    Zone 5:
    Zone 6:
    Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving)
    madakatude (6a NY) (advice: flowers, flowering shrubs, soil buiding)
    Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers and row, woodland & wildflowers)
    Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims)
    Zone 7:
    Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies)
    thewallawallaian89 (7 WA) (edibles, recycled pallet garden)
    Young.Gardener123 (7b NC) (edibles, flowers; clay soil)
    Zone 8:
    ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy lifestyle veggies, ez sun scatter perennials, dry shade)
    FruitaholicLamb (8 central TX) (specialty edibles)
    Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
    kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
    sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
    Vegetarian_atheist (5 So IL) (edible garden, veggies; clay soil) - kchd
    Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd
    DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
    vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
    stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
    ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade) - pdsavage
    jennyblu (6 unk) (veggies, kid garden) - socalgardengal
    janedchang (10 CA) (any flowers) - socalgardengal
    flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
    boredsogarden (8 VA) (trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers) - canyonwind
    tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal
    EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd
    kajira4master (6 KS) (veggies, herbs, edible flowers) - cryptid
    llbiss (7 unk) (veggies, flowers; containers, raised garden) - canyonwind
    njack41980 (5 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, herbs, anything) - LilyD74

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Kilngod....I adopted nerfyjen (Jennifer) zone 6 last night!

Emailing nerfyjen shortly via GW. Jennifer, if you do not receive, please email me!

Happy Saturday!

Annie

• kajira4master
    9 years ago

Big thank you to Cryptid. Got the wonderful seeds today, will be planting them tomorrow and eventually lots of families will benefit from your kindness!

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was a big update. If I've missed something, just post a note.

Desirai - Just start adopting (claiming) people. You call 'em and you got 'em. :)

Btw, y'all, I love when a newbie almost adopts another newbie. :) You go wallawalla and young, even if it did not pan out.

thedudefrom1976 (NY?) - please list your state in your zone box (directions above) and we'll get you put on the list.
    LainaBerry, please put "7 AL" in your zone box.
    Young.Gardener123, please put "7b NC" " " ".

Zone 2-3:
    Zone 4:
    dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food)
    Zone 5:
    Zone 6:
    Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers and row, woodland & wildflowers)
    Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims)
    Zone 7:
    Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies)
    LainaBerry (7 AK) (shady cottage garden, medicinals, flowers, fragrants, moth&mantid)
    Zone 8:
    ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy lifestyle veggies, ez sun scatter perennials, dry shade)
    Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
    kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
    sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
    Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd
    DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
    vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
    stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
    flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
    tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal
    EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd
    Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving) - canyonwind

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:27

• celticmommy
    9 years ago

I a very new to this, actually just joined today. I am very interested in getting involved with the seed exchange, but considering we are new, I have nothing to offer as of yet. I would love to be adopted as my husband and I are going to be starting a small "garden" per se on our apartment terrace. Mostly round and long containers as don't have a lot of room to work with, but we want to use every inch we can. we are using this "garden" to teach my 5 year old about growing your own food and also using for science and match education. We may also share some of the seeds with this daycare class as they are looking to use for educational purposes as well. I hope someone feels so compelled to share their knowledge and seeds for this cause.

• crazycatmomma
    9 years ago

I am so a newbie. I joined this site February and while i have managed two trades I am completely overwhelmed. I have no idea how to access and update my info, ., how to post available trades, etc. I am lost.

I am keen on edibles and have seeds to trade/donate to any mentor. I have traditional farm seed - live in the high country of TN - and love tomatoes, etc and herbs. And patience - no the plant ::hahaha::

Help?
    Mila

• thedudefrom1976
    9 years ago

ok updated my area info in member page

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Hey,

I adopted 2 people but I don't know their forum names. haha oops. :) I'll have to get their names.

I sent 13 packets of seeds to each of them.

• llbiss
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness!! It feels like Christmas! I received a great assortment of seeds from Annie (Canyonwind)!! I am ready for the weather to clear up so I can play in the dirt.

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Notes for Folks:

Celticmommy, state & zone in zone box please. Directions above. Then we can put you on the list.
    CrazyCatMomma, put "6a TN" in zone box please. Directions above. I'll update the list soon.

Desirai, please post here right when you contact someone to adopt them from the list. I aim to take them off the list then, rather than after you send. Otherwise someone else adopts them too, and as you see, we have lots of newbies on the list and should not double up. Thanks much, and lmk who they are when you get their screen names sorted.

• magical_isis
    9 years ago

Can I join the group? Although I registered here a while ago, I think I'm pretty much a newbie as I haven't been on the site for years - and, we just moved to San Diego two weeks ago and I had to leave my plants and containers behind. I'm working on a "rescue" garden that consists of discarded bits of succulent that I'm finding on our walks...but I have bigger sights for my morning-sun-receiving decks! It all feels very new going from the climate in central Texas to here and I feel like my entire knowledge database is off! Thanks for considering adding me!

• socalgardengal
    9 years ago

I'll adopt magical_isis! I live in San Diego and can offer tips and seeds! I will email them in alittle bit.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

nerfyjen, your seeds are headed your way. I would not go near a post office today, so I put them in my mailbox. I would think you should receive on Friday or Saturday. Post when you receive.....Enjoy!

Annie

• Desirai
    9 years ago

one of the newbies I adopted was dvagb the other hasn't responded to my email yet

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I adopt Weicker & Detrak, the PA veggie crew. Just sent y'all emails.

-Tina

(I'll update the list in a few days.)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I received my wonderful seeds today from kchd! It's all marvelous. I can't wait to get it all planted!

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    9 years ago

Seeds sent to njack41980 two days ago; hope you enjoy them!

• Nerfyjen
    9 years ago

Annie/Canyonwind - I received my seeds! I feel like it is Christmas in April - I am SO EXCITED to get these going!!! Thank you so much!!!
    Jennifer

• cathybt9
    9 years ago

I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, Black Pansy's thorneless raspberry's. A bit about me. I love African Violets , Black Pansy's, Violets. I am looking for Thorneless raspberry's, Blue potatoes, Black Pansy's, Viola's . Heirloom seeds for the vegetable garden.I love house plants also I have Angel wing begonia split leaf philodendron, Queen of the night and Aloe.

• celticmommy
    9 years ago

I am excited to be a part of this group. We are trying to get a patio container garden going at our apartment this year. We don't have a lot of growing experience, we tried lettuce and some flowers last year but got a late start. Our son is 5 and wants to grow a garden. We want to use it for fun and function but also as an educational project for him as well. He loves to measure, analyze and very hands on. I think this would be a great opportunity to introduce him to that and learn about nature and where food comes from.
    We are looking for easy to grow plants, that have success in sun only for part of the day. Flowers, veggies, lettuces etc. I hope someone wants to adopt us....

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I adopt thedudefrom1976!

Desirai, thank you extra for adopting dvagb (who has been on the list since the beginning of this recent surge)! When you figure out who your other adoption was, post I can remove them from the list.

Zone 2-3:
    Zone 4:
    Zone 5:
    Zone 6:
    CrazyCatMomma (6a highland TN) (edibles, tomatoes, herbs; technical GW tips)
    Zone 7:
    LainaBerry (7 AK) (shady cottage garden, medicinals, flowers, fragrants, moth&mantid)
    Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs)
    celticmommy (7 MD) (5-yr-old learner, veggies, flowers, lettuce; part sun containers)
    Zone 8:
    Zone 9-10:

Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving) - canyonwind
    magical_isis (10 so CA) (new climate, succulents; containers) - socalgardengal
    Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers/row, woodland & wildflowers) - kilngod
    Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims) - kilngod
    dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food) - Desirai
    thedudefrom1976 (6 NY) (veggies; homesteading, larger gardening) - kilngod
    ****** 2 5 Adoptions ! ! ******
    Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies) - Desirai

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 20:00

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Hey,

My other newbie was Orchidllauraga :)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Ldylahla requested an adoption on the Off-Topic Conversations Newbie post by Chemocurl. I wrote to her and offered to adopt her. If it comes through I will keep you posted. Jen

This post was edited by jensyen on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:30

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

I can adopt CrazyCatMomma if she's amenable. I've sent her an email.

Caryl

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jensyen, I sent Ldylahla an email for her to post her to get on this list (and I put post on that thread).

Thank you bunches for your huge and kind heart! You can do as you wish off-list, but I really hope you adopt one of these diligent folks listed above! And keep guiding wayward newbies to post here.

For the list on this thread, we must stick with the newbies that post here rather than automatically including newbies who post elsewhere. Out of respect for the newbies above who are awaiting adoption (who have posted here and sorted their member pages according to instructions), I shan't add her to the list or to the adoptions until she posts here.

Thanks,
    Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 18:51

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

LainaBerry, I sent you an email to adopt you. Please reply if you want seeds from me. Thanks, Jen

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

Heard from CrazyCatMomma and will send her a packet of seeds as soon as I get her address.

• VikingPrincess
    9 years ago

If CelticMommy is still available I'd be more than happy to send some for her? I'll email her now. Can also help her with any questions she might have about the seeds I'll send. ~VP.

This post was edited by VikingPrincess on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:25

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

hi all =)

i would like to adopt fruitaholiclamb, as i think i can fufil at least some of their most wanted list in zone 8 as well.

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:59

• VikingPrincess
    9 years ago

OK CelticMommy wrote and said she's already been "claimed," LOL. Kirsten.

• kilngod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CelticMommy hasn't been claimed here.
    ***Hey y'all, if you adopt someone, please post here so I can take them off the list, and so they know you are legit.***

(Yes, there are scammers sometimes, and part of this list's function is to validate deals just by making them public.)

...and huge thank yous to everyone who adopts. It's a great thing, you make a personal difference in the world!

This post was edited by kilngod on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 20:22

• VikingPrincess
    9 years ago

OK I just emailed with Kilngod I'm going to adopt both ptpulley and madakatude. I'll email you both shortly to tell you what I have available and arrange the packages. Kirsten.

• Cirrus
    9 years ago

I've poked around many, many a day on the forums here, and finally made an account today. I would love to get an herb garden started this year. My interests are in tea and medicinal herbs, succulents and cacti, and trees. However, more than anything I enjoy surprises- so add "random/grab bag/any" to the list, too! I prefer indoor planting / potted planting, if this makes a difference. (But, I'm up for anything!)
    Sad story time: When I was about 11, I had to move across the country about 2 months after I had 3 tiny maple trees start growing in a long trough-like pencil holder in my windowsill. My parents said I couldn't take them with us, even though I said I would hold them in my lap the entire way there (in the car!) I loved my "tiny trees". I planted them in my favorite hiding spot, but when I moved back to the area, construction had destroyed where I planted them. Ever since then, I've wanted to grow more trees but just can't seem to get them going... :( But, that hasn't stopped me from trying!!

Therefore, I am also looking for tips, advice, and suggestions on how to plant and maintain any seeds or plants provided me. Thank you so much for considering me!!

This post was edited by Cirrus on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:56

• njack41980
    9 years ago

Got my seeds from LilyD! Thanks again!

• bunnynomnom
    9 years ago

I could adopt Cirrus if no one else has yet. I have several offsets of my succulents to send out and a lot of arugula and calendula seeds to share.

I wonder if I can be a "newbie" as well as I really want rex begonia, gloriosa lily and Dischida pectinoides, but so far no one has come through with trading these plants yet. Thanks, Tina!

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area