Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

adopt a newbie 3

ymaddox
12 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 10-12 PACKS OF SEEDS***

(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14

--payment of the postage can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. make sure your email setting is correct (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.

--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.

--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/

Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.

--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usually means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)

--send them the postage for what they're gifting.

--After receiving the package, thank your veteran & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Comments (150)

• PeuAPeu
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I thought my page had my e-mail on it as I marked it to be available. It is my name here peuapeu @ rocketmail.com Sorry about that! :)

• bizarrogir
    12 years ago

I will adopt -Lairvine- if he/she is still interested. :)

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone want to adopt a few of these folks....they would appreciate it very much :)

• PeuAPeu
    12 years ago

I hope someone will adopt me. I am recently out if work and if I can grow some veggies it would help as I can can or freze some things. I am in zone seven. Ive already found someone to till me a small garden for free. I. Just need a few seeds and a little guidance and advice. Thank you.

• HornHoller
    12 years ago

Hey LBean! I'm in KS, too. I'll adopt you. :)

• farmer-boy
    12 years ago

I would really love to be adopted please. Im located in zone 8 of South Carolina. :)

• SubruralGirl
    12 years ago

Adoption - 56.s1swope: adopted by subruralgirl is completed!

• theadventurebite
    12 years ago

I would LOVE to be adopted! My husband works for a non profit and I am home with our 6 month old so there is no extra money in the budget for seeds.

Thank you so much!

Zone 7.

• cryptid
    12 years ago

I just emailed adventurebite. Waiting to hear back. :)

• snoopykittykat
    12 years ago

I just sign up a few days ago and finally finished posting my haves and wants list on my page. Last year was my first year I planted a garden. It was the only garden in my street. Other than feeding my family, I did feed another 3 family in my neighborhood. I had so much fun planting and sharing and hoping that I will try to do better this year so, now I'm on a quest for more seeds to plant.

I will appreciates annual/perennial flowers, fruits, veggies, anything that attract hummingbird, bees and butterfly, anything that smells good and or unusual that you have to share with me and my neighbors.

Thanks ahead,
    Kitty

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Adventurebite is now adopted. :)

• ForestTiger
    12 years ago

I would like to be adopted please. Never gardened before. Zone 8, southern California. Interested in all kinds of fruits that do not grow on trees, vines to climb my fence and the side of my house, and shade plants for my yard- I have lots of shade. Also, I would like anything that will grow in containers on my balcony or as houseplants. Email me at cdelgado33@yahoo.com.

Chris/ ForestTiger

• EmilyJessa
    12 years ago

I'm new to gardening, but would like to give it a try. It is going to be hard to make ends meat with twin 4-month old girls and my Husband just lost his job. So, hopefully gardening can save our family some money.

Tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers, beans, lettuce, peppers, watermelon, strawberries or squash.

• jibpadrp
    11 years ago

I would like to be adopted.

Zone 6 - southern coastal Maine (avg last frost early May.)

I would like to get as much food as possible from the couple hundred square feet that are available. Some is nearly full sun, some is full shade. Interested in just about anything edible, especially kale. Last year was my first garden since childhood and I started late. I have started a few leftover tomatoes and habaneros so far this spring.

• afmom
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the gardening..altho I do have some red onions sprouting...:-)

I would love to be adopted.

AFMOM

http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/afmom?1864

• annikasmommykate
    11 years ago

Technically I am a newbie myself, but I have tons of seeds, quite a bit of knowledge, and am more than willing to take the folks in my zone on (zone 5). I don't have much in the way of vegetables though. I am a committed floral girl.

Perhaps I can adopt them on a temporary basis until a veteran is able to pick up my slack? ;-)

Just was reading through and I have baptisia, black-eyed sues, english cottage garden flowers, etc and I'll never use them all myself, so I'd love to share!

• SneaselKat
    11 years ago

I would like to be adopted! I live in zone 7 in TN

• ThomKinLA
    11 years ago

I'm in Zone 10 I guess! At least that's what it's telling me for my zip code in Southern California.

I hope I'm not too picky to get adopted.

We have a lot of things in pots in the courtyard, and I'd like to do some container gardening of veggies in the back where they will get the full sun.

This will be our first year here and we have a backyard that's on the south side of the house where the sun just beats down, and a front yard that doesn't seem to get much light and a courtyard that gets little sun in the winter, but about this time of year the sun starts hitting the entire area at one time or another through the day.

• elvimiller
    11 years ago

I would like to be adopted pls. I am not new to gardening, but new to growing to sustain our family. I am having a hard time locally locating the following things, and I know they are online but some places charge $4 a seed packet and then shipping! At that rate I may just buy the stuff. And I know, it's better home grown, but you have to be able to afford it! LOL Ok so we would like some lima beans, and blackeye peas also called cowpeas. I am also interested in growing Virginia peanuts. lettuce would be nice and maybe some herbs. We are a family of 7 (5 kids) and grandma will be living with us as of August. I am having a hard time with my email being visible so my email is elvimiller@gmail.com

• afmom
    11 years ago

Well not sure which zone i'm in...I want to think I heard neighbor talking and saying zone 5..I live in Knoxville Tn so if someone could tell me which zone that is..I will update my profile page.

Thanks
    AFMOM

• afmom
    11 years ago

Well not sure which zone i'm in...I want to think I heard neighbor talking and saying zone 5..I live in Knoxville Tn so if someone could tell me which zone that is..I will update my profile page.

Found the zone...lol i'm zone 7 undated my profile..:-)
    Thanks
    AFMOM

• garden0727
    11 years ago

My adoption with bcskye worked out great! She sent many great seeds and my garden will be full of delicious veggies.

• snowflower02
    11 years ago

I would love to be adopted! I'm in zone 7. I'm a newbie this is my first year gardening so hoping things will go o.k. . We put up 4 raised beds in the yard. The only thing our yard has had in the past is weeds. lol. I'm interested in veggies, flowers, herbs,and plants, anything but weeds. :)

• legozombie86
    11 years ago

hello everyone. My names patrick and im totally new to plants and gardens and all, but ive recently grown a few flowers. Im not sure what zone i live in, but im in el monte , ca. I liv in an apt and have limited space to grow, but my area doesnt get any direct sunlight. The plants i have seem tobe doing fine, but im hoping to be adopted and get seeds, and much needed advice on how to grow in the shade. Thanks in advance for any help. My email is legozombie86@gmail.com

• bizarrogir
    11 years ago

Lairvine never answered my email... So I can adopt ThomKinLA if I have anything he/she wants.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    ---------------------------------
    zone3:
    -emilyjessa- interests: Tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers, beans, lettuce, peppers, watermelon, strawberries or squash.
    -chessmastor- interests: tomatos and herbs or anything grows well in containers
    Zone 4:
    Zone 5:
    -elvimiller- interests: lima beans, blackeye/cowpeas, virginia peanuts, lettuce, and herbs.
    -andreafahey- interests: english cottage garden flowers and veggies
    -chefaid90- interests: fruits, veggies, and flowers ( see post for specifics)
    -dmcdorman- interests: anything that grows well zones 5/6 special wants: bigfoot geranium, toad lily, astible (arendsii Fanal), hosta (blues), yellow corydalis, japanese forestgrass or ornamental grasses, lilyturf, monkshood, dianthus, black eyed susan, daylilies, baptisa, speedwell, peony, touching lily, butterfly weed, aster, anise hyssop, mexican sunflower, butterfly bush, clematis, hydrangea
    Zone 6:
    -jibpadrp- interests: all edibles
    Zone 7:
    -sneaselkat- interests: anything
    -afmom-interests: pumpkins, gerber daisy, and birdhouse gourds
    -peuapeu- interests: veggies, cottage gardens, and herbs
    -Morgaloo- intersts: veggies, annuals and perennials
    -amoocow- interests: edibles and flowers. no black eyed susans or lily of the valley please!
    -nospringchicken2- interests: veggies, herbs, and flowers and any heirloom seeds.
    -kasha77- interests: tropicals (see thread for specifics)
    ----------------------------------
    Zone 8:
    -foresttiger- interests: fruits not grown on trees, vines, shade plants, container seeds and houseplants.
    -farmer-boy- interests: anything
    -robertsfamily- interests: flowers, herbs, fruits, and veggies. Very interested in growing Rue, Roses, Peaches, Raspberries, Blackberries, Vidalia Onions... basically perennials and anything that puts fresh food on the table!
    -dresler1670- interests: medicinal plants, heirloom veggies and fruits, all herbs, spice plants, tea plants, and exotics.
    Zone 9:
    -jastjohn- interests: any seeds particularly veggies and some squash.
    -cinnie0- interests: fruits, veggies, fruit trees ( see her posts for specifics)
    -justmeinflorida- interests: any- not specified
    Zone 10:
    71.theadventurebite: adopted by cryptid
    70.lbean: adopted by hornholler
    69.KnG1975: adopted by bcskye
    68.ryanv: adopted by ymaddox
    67.hopeful4ky: adopted by ymaddox
    66.evildaffyduck: adopted by ladyrose65
    65.Alaniscool: adopted by margez
    64.babelsrus: adopted by canyonwind
    63.moonmaiden103: adopted by dem pa
    62.chickenlips87: adopted by bcskye
    61.garden0727: adopted by bcskye
    60.ascrius: adopted by ymaddox
    59.pinusresinosa: adopted by ymaddox
    58.kchd: adopted by ymaddox
    57.elegance108: adopted by ymaddox
    56.s1swope: adopted by subruralgirl
    55.buzzyb33: adopted by bcskye
    54.cast1: adopted by canyonwind
    53.nickosnow: adopted by bcskye
    52.tacym: adopted by smdane05
    51.legallyheidi: adopted by kchd
    50.lysa39: adopted by aquawise YEAH HALF WAY TO OUR ADOPTION GOAL OF A 100!!!
    49.carolinagirl77: adopted by kchd
    48.lashawn: adopted by canyonwind
    47.thecollegekid: adopted by bcskye
    46.donnaky: adopted by bcskye & ymaddox
    45.homeblessings: adopted by margez
    44.kathyminnesota: adopted by bcskye
    43.ksims: adopted by ymaddox
    42.andriak: adopted by bcskye
    41.shriefie: adopted by margez
    40.doris836: adopted by stlgirl
    39.susieq68: adopted by ymaddox
    38.capecodbeach: adopted by dem pa
    37.smdane05: adopted by ymaddox
    36.qycone: adopted by ymaddox
    35.susaninosceolamo: adopted by ymaddox
    34.alexshrugged: adopted by susanc
    33.nicogirl3- adopted by scratchits
    32.nomina- adopted by dem pa
    31.mabiebaby- adopted by dem pa
    30.minmous- adopted by bcskye
    29.soniam- adopted by bcskye
    28.spacetogrow- adopted by bcskye
    27.pinusresinosa- sasbe for cottage garden flowers from xiangirl open for rest of adoption
    26.psalmist40- adopted by kasha77
    25.lisajc2- adopted by ymaddox
    24.ida55- adopted by ymaddox
    23.david8n- adopted by ymaddox
    22.leyas- adopted by canyonwind
    21.captivatedlife- adopted by dem pa
    20.optimistique- adopted by cryptid
    19.demonshollowasylum- adopted by tlgraham
    18.beckres99- adopted by margez
    17.corrine1- adopted by roper2008
    16.jedonne- adopted by roper2008
    15.luisito8m- adopted by ymaddox
    14.gagreenman- adopted by canyonwind
    13.lizinelizabeth- adopted by molanic
    12.lynnca- adopted by canyonwind
    11.sdtcwarren- adopted by dem pa
    10.Krystiekeen- adopted by lexiegurl
    9.blissfactor- adopted by scratchits
    8.peaceful warrior- adopted by p-piper
    7.tlgraham- adopted by gardenunusual2
    6.lizgyrl- adopted by ymaddox
    5.txnurse77- adopted by seedmoney
    4.sweet_clementine- adopted by seedmoney
    3.cry24- adopted by seedmoney
    2.aqtrhorselover- adopted by sassybutterfly
    1.lovesherflowers (NE OH) (cryptid)
    *PLEASE NOTE IF ANY OF THESE ADOPTIONS FALL THROUGH PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN REMOVE ADOPTEES NO LONGER INTERESTED OFF THE LIST AND/OR READ IF THEY WERE NOT ADOPTED...THANKS :)
    *Please look at adoptee's post to view more detailed info.
    *Please have email and zone available in order to be added to adoption list...thanks

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still have packs waiting for ryanv, elegance 108, pinusresinosa...have you guys sent your envelopes. are you still interested...if not there are alot on here that would appreciate your seeds. so let me know...thanks!!!

Lairvine i have removed you from the list as you was adopted and did not notify your adopter...if you wish to be readded please post and i will readd u... thanks

the following people do not have emails available and will be added to list when email is available:
    snoopykitty/cat
    snowflower02
    also legozombie86 please post a zone and i will add you...you can do so by googling zone finder and figuring out your zone...thanks

annikasmommykate you can just pick and adopt anyone you like, if you dont have veggies it is okay they can trade some of the seed you send for veggies or request to stay on list for veggies...thanks

we have i think i counted 21 people awaiting adoption...could we have a few people step up and lets get these people adopted...thanks!

I will start off by adopting emilyjessa and afmom

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

big thanks to...bizarrogir, cryptid, and hornholler for your recent adoptions...it is most appreciated :)

• snowflower02
    11 years ago

I also wanted to add that I have been a member of a couponing website for years. I have made plenty of coupon trades in the past. My user Id on HotCouponWorld is tr8smith.

I'm totally new to gardening. Not new to the frugal lifestyle.

This is the link to hot coupon world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotcouponworld couponing forum

• snowflower02
    11 years ago

Hi, thanks my email: tr8smith@yahoo.com

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am adopting snowflower02 as well...anyone else up for three adoptions?

• legozombie86
    11 years ago

ok, i live in zone 8B. Sorry about not posting it before, and thanks for the help.

• annikasmommykate
    11 years ago

I'll adopt Andreafahey for now (because I already have a whole envy full for her) and then I'll check back and see what I have for the other two folks in my zone.

I don't have any veggies for her, so she might still want to stay on the list, but I have an envelope full of flowers for her :-)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

I will adopt dmcdorman. A new adventure! Thanks for the post in the Round Robin to get me over here.

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Hey there!
    Sending Sneaselkat an offer of adoption :)

vina

• ourvirginiahome
    11 years ago

Hi,

I'm located in Virginia (Zone 6B.)

I would love to have any variety that is suitable for my area for any of the following:

Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Peppers
    Melons
    Squash
    Cabbage
    Lettuce
    Mustard Greens
    Gourds

Flower Seeds:
    Marigolds or Pansies

Thanks so much!

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Looking through the list one more time and I see I can adopt nospringchicken and peuapeu well :)
    Sending them both offers of adoption.
    Happy Easter!
    vina

• silentbirds
    11 years ago

So, I am getting super excited for summer, as I am a college student that will be planning/planting my first vegetable garden since when I was a kid :) I didn't find this lovely page until after I had ordered this off of Amazon.
    However, I am thinking of a few other things that I would like to plant:
    cherry tomatoes
    other vegetables?
    fruit?
    some annuals or prennial (maybe marigold etc.)
    some kind of vine for a trellis
    and any other wild things that you may have ;)

Unfortunately, I can't take plants right now since I live in zone 5 and planting won't be for another month. The garden is very close to Lake Huron, so the soil is sandy and I plan on adding in more topsoil. Also, as a plus, there aren't many weeds established in the general area. I would buy_bnbn@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: what I ordered

• annikasmommykate
    11 years ago

Silentbirds, I can send you some mixed marigolds and some lupines (and a few other things) if you would like. I don't have any veggies, fruits, or vines that wouldn't destroy a trellis (the only vine I have is wisteria...only good if you want the trellis down LOL). Send me an e-mail if you are interested!

• Dawgboy
    11 years ago

Hello, Dawgboy here in Sunny San Diego, Zone 10A.

I recently moved and most of my seeds were damaged in the move, so I am starting over in a new place and have very few varieties of veggies. I do, however have an abundance of space. I just cleared a 10'x20' space of turf and have at least 3 more I want to plant that size, plus A bunch of garden boxes I re-purposed from Jet engine part shipping crates.

Pics available In the url below.

I could really use any veggie or fruit seeds, Berry vine slips, herbs or ornamental flowers someone is willing to share. I am only working part time these days and really want to feed my family out of this year's garden. can't afford organics ya know...

What I have planted are all Seeds of change

Brandywine Tomatoes
    Borghese tomatoes
    Corno Di Toro Peppers
    Orion peppers
    Purple Bells
    Satsumi Cucs
    Star watermelon
    Armenian Cucs
    Crookneck Squash
    Burgundy stringless beans

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny pic pictures for Dawgboy

• afmom
    11 years ago

ymaddox I found your email in my spam folder and replied back...:-)

Happy Easter

AFMOM

• kchd
    11 years ago

Received my seeds in the mail from ymaddox yesterday. Thanks again for adopting me!

• katkni
    11 years ago

I have lots of extras, and can adopt the newbies listed above in Zone 3. I didn't think green things grew north of me here in Zone 4. ;)
    emilyjessa and chessmastor please check your email and let me know!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this thread is closed, please see adopt a newbie 4 and use this as reference to get to your adoptees pages...thanks!

• PeuAPeu
    11 years ago

I want to thank Flower34 for adopting me. I sent ym envelope out today. I can't wait! :)

• afmom
    11 years ago

Woohooo received my seeds...I like this...who else wants to adopt me? LOL love getting presents...;)

thank you so much Yvonne..:)

AFMOM

• theadventurebite
    11 years ago

Received my adoption gift from cryptid very quickly and feel so blessed!! So excited to plant them and start to save our own seed! Thank you thank you thank you!

• lordrandy
    11 years ago

Hello I'm so glad i found this! i'm very new to gardening. I am intereted in squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, herbs, onions, beans, watermelon or other fruits and veggies.I'm in zone 6. my email is drowdayton@yahoo.com. thank you for all the help!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

guys this thread is closed all replies should be posted on the adopt a newbie 4 thread :)...thanks. use this thread as reference if you adoptee's thread was on here...otherwise please post all info. to the adopt a newbie 4 :)

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

I'd like to be adopted!
    I live in zone 9, I think. Phoenix AZ
    What a great idea.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz