Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Hummingbird Attractors

Posted by snichols94 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 13:26

My college gardening club is planning to plant a hummingbird garden in the fall, and we are looking for plants that will attract hummingbirds. We are especially looking for the following:
Passionflower vine
Mexican bush sage
California fuchsia
Monkey flower
Lupine
Butterfly bush
Bee balm
Foxglove
We are also open to anything that you have found to attract hummingbirds in your garden. We have a variety of vegetable seeds to offer in trade- see my exchange page for the full list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Hummingbird Attractors

If you already have the space allocated, I think planting those now and letting them get established would be OK. Especially the passion vine and a few others, it could still be a few months before making flowers and blooming.

You can also make home-made hummingbird feeders. I would suggest this option also if you have the student manpower to clean and fill the feeders.

o

Hands-down the best hummingbird attractor I've ever had was a Campsis (trumpet flower) vine. The only problem with it is that it's rather invasive and once you plant it, you will never remove it. Ever. That said, I don't have access to any at the moment (we moved), but it's a popular plant, so I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. You should seriously consider adding it to your list. :)

o

Salvia guaranitica and turk's cap/Malvaviscus drummondii are the most visited hummingbird flowers in my garden, and I have a lot of hummers. Both are very easy to grow. Any kind of salvia is usually good, also.

I've never seen them visit passionvines, but it's a good plant to have for gulf fritillary caterpillars and zebra longwings, if you're in Florida.

Sherry

o

Ill trade butterfly bush for your sugar ann beans?

o

You can also use Bottle Brush. I have some if interested .

o

You can also use Bottle Brush. I have some if interested .

o

its not on the list but columbines work very well! I have some im willing to trade! email me at graceann82@gmail.com!

o

I have hummingbird attractants ! I have Crimson Clover, Butterfly Bush, a few trumpet vine, salvias, Catchfly Silene, Bee Balm and Spotted Bee Balm, and Foxgloves. Let me know ? Thanks, Kathi

o

I have seeds of different varieties if your interested.

This post was edited by Gretchen7 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:01

o

My echium wildpretti seeded this summer. It is the best hummingbird / bee attractor I have ever had, plus it is drop dead gorgeous. It is a biennial so it takes two years to bloom. If you'd like a few seeds let me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here