Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulan70

WANTED: What to do with older seeds

paulan70
10 years ago

I am a seed hoarder. I have alot of older seeds like from 2010 and so fourth. Now I try and store them as safely as I can to make them last longer. But are they even worth saving for seed exchanges. There are some that just don't appeal to me after I have seen it bloom. Most of the seeds are for annuals with some perennials in the mix. Very few of them are from 2013. Any ideas and what to do with them thanks. Are they even worth listing on my page thanks.

Paula

Comments (9)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Most Gardenweb people won't want seeds that old. When there are group swaps they only want seeds from the previous year. For 2014 swaps they wanted seeds harvested from 2013 for example.
    We are all seed hoarders, but you're one of the few who will admit it! My pastor says the first step is to ADMIT. lol
    You can always plant them and see what comes up. Germination rates will be lower the longer you wait.
    If you want to give them away you can offer them for postage or SASE.
    You can donate them to an elementary school. I donated seeds I hadn't traded to a preschool class and 42 kids got to plant their own flowers. Now they are waiting to see if they come up. That makes me feel good that someone will plant them and enjoy them. Don't know if there's 4-H groups or others who might appreciate the seeds. There's a website called Freecycle.org. You make an account in the town nearest you and it's only for things people give away--all free. You might find some takers and you'll make their day and they'll love you forever.
    You are doing well to keep them stored well. Good for you. You're a good seed saver.
    Heidi

• PRO
    Sycamore Lane
    10 years ago

Paula, I am just starting my own garden/seed saving collection, and would be interested in experimenting with them to possibly harvest the seeds from whatever might germinate.

I'll e-mail you.

• kilngod
    10 years ago

Send them to twintoes :)

When someone has more time than funds, it can be a precious gift to grow out older, higher risk seeds. For some older seeds, I list dates and trade them in generous amounts to buffer reduced germination. Others that I think are particularly sensitive to age, I throw away. (New rule for self: trade out or give away by 3 yrs old.)

I still sow older seeds of a special thing, and I just sow heavily.

-Tina

• dirtdaddy
    10 years ago

Twintoes, have many tomatoe and pepper seeds. Most 2010 and 2011. E-mail if interested. dd.

• PRO
    Sycamore Lane
    10 years ago

Thanks dirtdaddy! I e-mailed you :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Paula, a lot of seeds last a lot longer than 4 years. I would look up viability information on each kind of seed you have to determine whether they are useable. No, I would think very few people would want to trade seed that was that old, but you could certainly grow it.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

Funny that I would come across this post today.

I just finished potting up a bunch of seeds that I sprouted in a paper towel. They were 4/5 year old perlargonium seeds and I got over 80% germ. so far!

Lisa

• kilngod
    10 years ago

80% germination is great! I'd be thrilled with that % from brand new seed let alone 4+ yr old.

I'm often surprised at how sturdy seeds are. Yes, riskier to trade for when you do not know if they've been kept well.... but often fine to grow.

• paulan70
    Original Author
    10 years ago

twintoes I emailed you back. Thanks

Paula