Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zahzeen

WANTED: Perennials for Zone 5

zahzeen
10 years ago

Hi. This is my first time on the seed exchange (usually on the NE forum) and I read the instructions so I apologize in advance if I am messing anything up. My friend, Michelle, (aka "thecrazyplantlady") has run a plant sale for the last 5 years to benefit the Childrens' Miracle Network (and in turn Children's Hospital in Boston). The sale is usually every Friday, Saturday and Sunday throughout May. Because of various circumstances, we will not be able to have the sale this year but are gearing up have a bigger and better sale than ever in 2014. Michelle received a donation of a lot of annual seeds (Some may be perennials outside New England) from Ball Horticultural Company that we won't be using and would like to trade/exchange for perennial seeds that will grow in Zone 5 (especially echinaceas). We'd like to start the perennial seeds now to have plants ready for sale in a year from now. Most packages from Ball have 1,000 seeds as best I can tell and are listed below (I hope that's OK). Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Packages Cleome Queen Rose
1 Package Ornamental Pepper Calypso Yellow (500 seeds)
1 Package Snapdragon Bedding Floral Shower Wine Bicolor
1 Package Primula Malacoides Prima Pink
1 Package Majectic Giant II Yellow Blotch
5 Packages Strawflower King Rose
1 Package Strawflower King Rose (5,000 seeds)
1 Package Alyssum Snow Crystals (50,000 seeds)
2 Packages Diascia Diamonte Lavender Pink (500 seeds)
4 Packages Heliotrope Marine (2 pkgs. with 1,500 seeds)
2 Packages Petunia Dreams Burgandy
1 Package Salvia Empire Orchard (2,000 seeds)
2 Packages Marigold French Disco Red
1 Package Marigold French Bonanza Harmony
5 Packages Verbena Quartz X P Red Eye
1 Package Zinnia Oklahoma Salmon (5,000 seeds)

These may only have 100 seeds (not sure):
1 Package Salvia Lighthouse Red (dated 9/19/2011)
2 Packages Portulaca Happy Trails Rosita (dated 9/28/2011)
1 Package Portulaca Happy Trails Pink (dated 7/22/2011)
1 Package Portulaca Happy Hour Banana (dated 9/28/2011)
1 Package Portulaca Happy Hour Fuchsia (dated 10/11/2011)

Comments (29)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I have a seed box that is bursting at the seams! Just waiting for a post like this one! What a great thing you are doing! I'm sure I have alot of things that will do well in your zone. Do you want flowers only? I have alot of cool veggie seeds I can trade you. I am interested in the following seeds: Snapdragon bedding floral shower, wine bicolor primula, strawflower King Rose 5,000 seeds, Primula malacoides Prima pink, Alyssum Snow crystal 50,000 seeds, Heliotrope Marine 1,500 seeds, Disco Red Marigolds, Bonanza Harmony, Zinnia Oklahoma Salmon and any portulacas.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Zackey,

All the seeds you listed are yours! If you email your address to me, I'll get them in the mail. We're just looking for flowers right now but I'll double check with Michelle. Right now the only criteria I know is zone 5 perennials and she especially mentioned echinacea seeds. Thank you so much for helping out! I look forward to your email!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I was waiting to see if anyone else responded to this post and not be greedy! Since no one else had asked for any of your seeds I would like some more! I will send you alot of flower seeds I have a wide variety.
    I would also like one pack of the following: Strawflower King Rose, Petunias Dream Burgandy, Salvia Empire Orchard, Verbena, one of each of the portulacas and Salvia Lighthouse Red. I will email you my address. Thanks!!

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Zackey. No problem with the adds to your list. I checked with Michelle and the only vegetable seeds she added were heirloom tomato seeds. Any vegetable or herb plants sell very, very quickly if they are heirloom or organic. Thanks again. I look forward to your email.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I just got some Heirloom tomatoes in a trade. The only thing is she mixed them all up. About 7 different varieties. You can have them if you want them. I have some heirloom veggie seeds I can send to you. Jing orange okra and an eggplant, I can't remember the name of. I'll see what other heirloom seeds I have to share.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

Zahzeen,

I wish I saw this before anyone responded!

a normal seed trade is around 25 seeds, maybe 100 or so for small seeds. I think you should have broken your packets down a bit for trading..

I'm sure you would have gotten some more interest if you had waited a few days.

Lisa

• chrizty
    10 years ago

Hi Zahzeen
    I agree with ishareflowes.
    Maybe what ever you have left you can break down, the more trades you can get from them the more seeds you will get back for your sale :)
    It would also help alot if you and Michelle made a list of all you want so we could see. are you only wanting perennials? Hardy annuals n biannual's will do well in your zone such as Holly hocks, Cleome, Columbine, Dianthus and so many more.

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

Hi guys
    Thanks for the input.We are new at this trade thing. Ball Hort gave me some great seeds we can't use( I have no green house to grow annuals to be ready for a sale in May:plus most of the annuals are donated by one grower she is awesome) and wanted to move them along to good homes so we decided to use them to trade. Marlene is taking the lead on the trading for me..my computer access lately is spotty .
    I know we "should " break up the larger packs of seeds but if you saw how they are sealed you'd understand these are sealed for long term storage,If I break the seals they won't be and if I can't trade out the entire package I have wasted a lot of seeds. Our hope is that a good trader will take the pack give us what ever seeds they are moved to give and they can more quickly share out the seeds in trades from the Ball Hort packs so nothing goes to waste.
    We don't have a hard and fast list of what we would like because it's never been needed we just grow what people felt like donating.
    I will work on making a list but worry it will be SOOO long no one will read it lol
    We are open to biannual's and herbs and heirloom tomatoes. Thanks gang .

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

Are you interested in Siberian Iris? I have Echinacea seeds that look rotted (collected in December in the rain), to my surprise, they sprouted. Would you like to take a chance with these? I don't need any seeds in return. I agree with others, it is A LOT of seeds in a pack, I can't even imagine how many seeds someone should send just for one packet of yours.

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I am open to the Iris if you are willing to send it and if you think the echinacea seeds are ok I'd love to have them.
    We are not worried about and "even" trade If some one HAD 1000 extra seeds of one type even I could not use them all... We just hope for the best trade a person can make with us...does that make sense?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I have your seeds all ready to be mailed. I just need your address. I am hoping to start my own plant nursery soon, so I really appreciate the seeds. Thanks! zackey

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

You've just stopped me from sending you a 1000 seeds of Siberian Iris :) I don't have space to germinate all these Echinacea seeds and they should be used this year so your way they'll go. Please send your address.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Zackey,

I'll send you an email. Thanks.

Marlene/Zahzeen

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again,

I just posted what we have to trade and a list of what we want on my exchange page. I hope this helps!!!

Thanks,
    Marlene

• chrizty
    10 years ago

Hi Onetheteam,
    Thanks for the info :) I get it :)
    And if you want to trade in again, yes please put in a long want's list! Even if its just a wish list lol nothing better than seeing something you have on a wants list! :)

If you still have some left I would love to trade for one pk your Verbena Quartz X P Red Eye
    I have Biannual s 25 seeds in a pk
    Campanula cup and saucer mix
    Dianthus Rainbow Loveliness mix
    Dianthus Fringed pinks
    Send me e-mail if you would like to trade
    :)

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Chrizty and Zackey,

I just you both emails. Please let me know if you don't get them for some reason. Thanks.

Marlene

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

I got the address. Can't reply to it so I'll ask here. Is Lemon Balm hardy in your area? Would you like it too?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I didn't get your last email.

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

It seems the lemon balm is marginally hardy here in New England...

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zackey, I sent the first email using the form on your Garden Web's "my page". I sent another using my regular Verizon email - hope that works! Both should have gone to the yahoo address listed. Again, if not please let me know. Thanks.

• ddkcat
    10 years ago

Would you have any flowers left? I have two nice rudbeckias - r. herbstonne and r.triloba - that would be great for a planr sale. Let me know - Doreen.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ddkacat,

Yes, we have a lot of seeds left. Just go to my exchange list to see the current list and select what you'd like. You should be able to send me an email (with some help from Chrizty) I think it's fixed! Thank you so much.

Marlene

• zzackey
    10 years ago

i sent your seeds a few weeks ago. I never got anything from you. zackey

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Zackey. Trust me, your seeds are "in the mail". I had them in my car to mail and simply forgot to mail them. They went out over the weekend. My apologies.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Thanks!!!

• Paul.UKWILDCAT
    10 years ago

Email Sent!

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Paul.UKWILDCAT,

I never received an email. Unless they've fixed the problem, maybe it something to do with the gnomes running around the GW!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I got the seeds last week.Thanks! Do you know what year they are from? zackey

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They would be 2011 or 2012.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!