Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecopal_gw

Donating Seeds for Haiti.

Ecopal
12 years ago

Hey Everybody

As some of you may or may not know things in Haiti right now are not so good. That is why a group that I happen to be a member of called the Urban Paradise Guild are starting a seed crop so that we can help send seeds to Haiti as well as other parts of Miami. We are also looking for any rusty old garden tools that you may not even need anymore. Even if it is the broken end of a shovel we can fix it and use it for the UPG seed crop. Keep in mind that because we are growing for the purpose of harvesting seeds we cannot use any hybrid seeds. They do not even need to be in a packet they can be papaya seeds that you removed from a fruit for example. We are also willing to receive things such as seed trays and pots. If anybody lives in the area and would like to donate it would be very helpful. I will be collecting donations at Miami Dade North Community College 11380 Northwest 27th Avenue Miami, FL 33167. Building 3 on Monday 4/23 from Noon-5pm. If you do not live in Florida but would still like to donate you can mail seeds to 13400 North Miami Avenue 33168. Remember its for a good cause.

Thank You.

Comments (8)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Here is a direct link to this cause:

http://www.urban-paradise.org/initiatives/seeds-change-haiti

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds and tools for Haiti

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I will send them some seeds! I've been praying for them since the earthquake. So sad. I can't imagine having to live like that! Do you know about the Garden Hoard site? You can get 6 free packs of seeds for a SASE. Maybe they would send more seeds if you tell them the cause?

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I think you should repost this now! I think this site gets alot more hits on the weekend. It sure is a needy cause!

• Ecopal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much! I cant weight to tell everyone at Urban Paradise. I was worried that no one would give but it looks like we are actually going to pull this off. My friends and professors have already donated. This Monday I went to Home Depot and although they wish they could they werent able to let put a donating poster next to the seed stand at the garden section. But some nice lady saw what I was doing and bought seven heirloom seeds on the spot! And yesterday a cop saw me putting posters and took one so that he can place it at the department of corrections. Also some fruit venders that go around on trucks selling produce have been giving me pineapple tops so that we can plant them. We have gotten off to a great start and its not even the 23rd yet.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Be sure to also contact seed companies and ask. Some will donate seeds, perhaps last year's seeds but they will still germinate at a good rate.

• Ecopal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a reminder that Miami Dade College is not sponsoring this event. They are merely letting us collect donations at the campus. The mailing address is Urban Paradise Guild, Inc. 13400 North Miami Avenue Miami, Florida 33168. And again THANK YOU.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I found this because someone was looking for seeds for a food pantry garden on the veggie forum and got chastised. Looks like the special rules for this forum say no donation requests, only trade, so send me a good wish and I will send some fairytale pumpkin seeds. ;-) They are funky looking, but taste wonderful! I thought I had some watermelon seeds saved too but didn't find them and bought plants. If I find them in another look, those are yours too. Good luck with the efforts and the crops.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I'm sending you some seeds. I hope you get lots of donations from the seed companies and please try The Garden Hoard website. They might give you more than 6 packs a month. May God Bless you and your cause!

Sponsored