Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanon_

WANTED: Seeds for Boston Childrens Hospital

shanon_
9 years ago

I received an email from gardenweb member Marlene ("zahzeen") regarding some seeds she is interested in. I want to share what I discovered during the course of our email exchanges. Marlene wrote:
~"I'm a volunteer for a plant sale for the Childrens Hospital of Boston and am starting to sow perennial seeds for Zone 5 that we can sell in 2015."
~"we are looking for perennial seeds in the Boston area (Zone 5)"
~"every year besides space, water and sometimes help, they [COSTCO] make a contribution on a percentage of the profits. So far, over $40,000.00 has been raised."

Oh my! Giving seeds; what a wonderfully simple way to share our compassion and support for children in need of medical care, their families and on-going research. It is also a great way for us to share our love of gardening with others. Giving some seeds has the potential to ease a portion of the financial burden many parents are feeling due to health care costs. It could also help pay for research toward cures for our children. Wow! How simple yet so impactful.

If you are not familiar with Boston Childrens Hospital, here are some excerpts from their website:

• Boston Children's is a community of patients and siblings, moms and dads, special nurses and devoted doctors. Philanthropy enables the hospital to support this community by funding extraordinary patient care, innovative research, and family services.
  • We have approximately 25,000 inpatient admissions each year and our 200+ specialized clinical programs schedule 557,000 visits annually. Last year the hospital performed more than 26,500 surgical procedures and 158,700 radiological examinations.
  • We are a safety net hospital for the most critically ill children and those from low-income families.
  • There are many ways you can support the hospital [including giving seeds :) ] to give back in gratitude, or to ensure that Boston Childrens will always be a resource for kids from Boston and around the world searching for hope, and good health.

I did a quick google search and found a number of links regarding Boston Childrens Hospital Plant Sale. Here are a few:
Boston Childrens Hospital Plant Sale Volunteers and Donations Needed
Childrens Hospital Boston Plant Sale (post on Gardenweb)
Plant Sale for Children's Hospital in Boston (another post on Gardenweb)

If you have "extra" perennial seeds for Zone 5, please consider giving to such a wonderful cause and contact Marlene ("zahzeen"). Your seeds could play a part in making a profound difference in someone's baby's life!

PS: No, I do not know Marlene. No, Marlene didn't ask me to post this. And, no, I do not have any affiliation with Boston Children's Hospital. :) I just love children and it breaks my heart to see a child in need, especially when we can do something so simple to make a difference!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz