Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanon_

WANTED: Fast Growing Tall Plants (6'-20')

shanon_
11 years ago

Hi! We live in Iowa, zone 5, and are looking for a tall (6' - 20'), FAST growing, self-supporting plant. We live just outside of city limits and the county came by and cut down all the trees along the road. We're trying to come up with a quick living-privacy-fence, per se, to block the view across the road, which is a golf course that once was a corn field. We have about a 150â - 200â line to screen. If you have anything to trade that fits the criteria, please let me know.

Thanks much!

Comments (3)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

I don't have seeds, but I have a couple ideas. If you want something just for this season, you might try mammoth sunflower seeds. They require quite a bit of water, but they make a tall, sturdy natural fence. In front of the basic mammoth sunflower picket fence you can fill in with other flowers for more privacy. There are other varieties of sunflowers such as maximillan which grow to 6' and are branching.
    At the same time you can plant poplar trees. They grow quickly and in a few years you'll have a screen. They'll be beautiful for about 20 years.
    Another longer term solution would be lilac bushes. I'm in Nebraska and they grow 12' high although it takes several years and they last a long time. They also bloom in the spring and smell like heaven.
    Heidi

• chrizty
    11 years ago

Hi Sharon
    You might want to let people know what you have to trade with. :)
    As you just moved there in Jan this is the perfect time to see whats all there. and don't think all weeds are "weeds" they cold be wildflowers you can collect seeds from to trade with this summer/fall. :)
    I had to do the same thing down the bottom of my yard. I took Forsythia cutting's n stuck them along the bottom of my yard. took about 4 years for them to grow 5ft. and rooted pampas grass for a fast privacy fence.
    The Sunflowers are a great idea. you could even put the large ones i the back and other varieties in the front. mix em up with other tall flowers too like cleomes.

• ddkcat
    11 years ago

Hi - I have the perennial rudbeckia herbstonne ['Autumn Sun'] that gets to 6' or so - very prolific and expands by runners. Butter yellow flowers w/ green eyes. What do you have in the way of flower seed? Doreen.