Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: last chance milkweed

Posted by xiangirl 4 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 11:05

I have common milkweed seeds in a box. I'll package them up and send to anyone for SASE--only one stamp needed. Otherwise they're going in the trash bin. High germination rate. Strong sturdy stems grow 4+ feet. Bright pink flowers. Butterfly magnet. Harvested fall 2013 so they're fresh.
Send a SASE to me and slip a note inside that says something like, "Butterfly Weed please" because it's spring and my memory is filled with my to-do list.
Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: last chance milkweed

Im sending you an email :)

o

I'm glad you got some! I can't stand to throw away seeds if someone will plant them. Happy planting!

o

Hello Heidi! I have been busy planting some previous seed you sent me. I was super excited about the blue thistle/sea hollies. Thank you for your time on making the informative packets. I would love to help the monarchs. I will send you an email. Thanks again!

o

Would love to try..have tropical milkweed but want to plant other milkweeds..monarchs are here now and I need more food for them.

Thanks
Christine

o

Hi Heidi...I'm new to the forum. Just today, I read an article on the Monarch Butterflies struggles. So coming across your post seemed a bit serendipendous. I would love to add milkweed to my garden in TN. Please just inform me of where to send a SASE...Trent

o

i got a dumb question....
if i plant milkweed will the little critters start chewing on my veggie garden or can i have both a veggie and milkweed/butterfly garden?
just making sure before i plant anything...

ps if you have any seeds left...
thanks

o

The monarch caterpillar eats milkweed. I read on a forum they also eat dill and fennel, but they don't just devour everything in your garden. The post I read was offering alternatives if a person didn't have much milkweed.
Do you know how to email on this post? At the top of this post is my username and then it says (My Page). Click on My Page, then click on Send Email. Then you can send me your address without it showing up for the entire world to see. Much safer that way.
Heidi

o

This offer is closed. I posted in 2 places and am sending seeds to over 25 people. Thank you for those who will plant my baby seeds!
Heidi

Candy Cane Park Cozad, NE photo 20130622milkweedinbloom_zps50d06048.jpg

o

Wow, those are beauties!

o

Monarch caterpillars ONLY eat milkweed plants.
Black swallowtails caterpillars will eat from the carrot family ie: dill, fennel, parsley, queen Anne's lace.
Just to clarify what seemed to be confusion. We always plants extra parsley, dill to allow for the caterpillars to munch.

A little price to pay for them to help pollinate our food.

o

Thanks to everyone helping the monarch butterflies. If you grow buddleia and monarda, you will have butterflies fighting over your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here