Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Have: Husker Red Penstemon

Posted by annikasmommykate 5 NH (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 17:25

I haven't harvested yet. The seeds are ripening right now. They'll be ready in about a week.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the seeds. I have tons of plants, so I don't really need them myself, but if anyone wants some, I'll let them finish ripening and dry them out.

Anyone interested?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Have: Husker Red Penstemon

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 18:17

I would love some. Anything in particular you are looking for?

kchd

o

I'll never turn down some more columbine :-)

I'll let you know when I have them all set for you.

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 23:23

In my experience these take a loooong time to ripen to the point of harvesting seed. I've left the seed heads on all summer and harvested in the fall.Their dark color seed pods look nice in the garden. If you haven't had the pleasure yet...be prepared...the ripe seed pods smell like stinky feet! The first time I gathered a big bunch and brought them inside to dry I was taken aback...

Like you,I have found that they self seed readily and since I don't need anymore, I am cutting of the old flower stems this year for the first time. I think I will leave a few bunches to gather seed from in the fall to share with others, but thats it.

Such a pretty plant. Every garden should have some.

o

Oh dear...I may have to (not so gracefully) bow out of trading this flower then...I could leave it to ripen for a few weeks, but they're not somewhere that I can leave them until the fall...Down they'll have to come :-/

Nan, if you do save seeds, do you mind if people come to you for them instead? I feel bad...I didn't realize they would take so long...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here