Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Something wrong with Glass Gem corn.

Posted by tim_the_gardner 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 5:46

I ordered seeds from Nativeseeds.org last year and grew them in one of my raised beds. I hand pollinated most of the plants and I am very disappointed in the results. The plants are all brown and are almost fully dry, so I pulled off a few ears only to find out that the colors are very dull. They are not anything like the ones I have seen in the photos online, or youtube videos of other growers. What am I doing wrong? Is there anyone that can send me seeds that are colorful in a seed exchange? Now that I think of it, the seeds that they sent me were also very dull in color. I dont believe I did anything wrong... I've grown corn for the past 10 years without any trouble. Anyone out there have any good (colorful) seeds to exchange?
Thank you,

Tim

Glass Gem Corn 2014 photo 2014-07-25042413copy.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Something wrong with Glass Gem corn.

I've read in some places that the corn can be a mixed bag of results- sometimes very pretty, sometimes fairly muted. I've seen some pics that were fairly meh, and some that were spectacular. I've seen advice to wash/polish the corn to bring out it's best, and that it is awesome all on it's own.
Maybe you just didn't have good luck with this batch?

o

Tim,
Why don't you send a picture of your results to Nativeseeds.org and ask them for a replacement?
Captivated by the internet pictures, I waited in line to get these seeds a few years ago--if I recall correctly I paid $12 for one pack!
I expect the company would not want your picture to circulate about their expensive product and would gladly give you a refund or store credit. Good luck-if your complaint isn't resolved to your satisfaction (or if it is) please leave feedback on the "Rate and Review Vendors" forum.

o

Were the seeds you received all the same color?

I've read that a minimum of 200 plants should be grown to ensure a good range of colors. However, I grew only 60 last year from seeds I got in trade and had very good results. The corn is supposedly shiniest in the 'milk stage' of development and becomes duller as it matures, and the longer it is stored the duller it becomes.

Here's a picture of a few cobs of mine from last year. Though pretty, I wasn't that impressed by them, and I don't think I'll grow them again.

o

I've actually been considering growing glass gem corn. Although it looks ornamental, it is supposedly edible. Does anyone know how it tastes?

o

It is a dent (flour) corn, not used for eating fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here