Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

WANTED: milkweed

docmom_gw
10 years ago

The Monarch Butterfly is on the brink of extinction due to loss of milkweed that used to grow throughout the Midwest. Use of extensive spraying of herbicides plus repeated mowing of roadsides has nearly wiped out milkweed. So, many of us are trying to encourage a rapid replanting of milkweed in yards and parks to bring back the habitat.

I'm asking any of you who have access to milkweed in your gardens or nearby fields or roadsides, to collect as much seed as you can to donate (for postage) to anyone who is trying to plant it. If you want more information re the plight of the Monarchs, see below.

Martha

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch

Comments (13)

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

I will most definitely do so. Some of my swamp mw has already started the seed pods so any day for them.

• wonky
    10 years ago

I actually am wanting milkweed. I bought some off ebay but they only sent ten seeds. I gave some to someone and now none of my seeds germinated.

• juhur7
    10 years ago

What kind tuberosa
    incaranata
    cynachieum
    syrica any here later this year ...

• tracy77
    10 years ago

I am looking for milkweed. Please email if interested in trading.

Thanks

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

I would plant some if I had the seeds. I have the room, just not the seeds.

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

Ill be more than happy to spread the wealth of swamp and tropical milkweed to y'all when they are ready.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

{{gwi:69110}}
    I took over a local park flower garden that was neglected. These all came up volunteer. The seeds aren't ready yet, but I"ll have tons of seed and will be willing to share. Contact me in about 6-8 weeks. The sad thing is that I have only seen about 3 butterflies all summer of any kind. With all the milkweed I thought I'd see butterflies all the time. It's so sad.
    I really really want a butterfly weed plant or seeds. I can't seem to get seeds to grow, but I keep trying. Maybe someone will trade with me!
    Heidi

• kchd
    10 years ago

Heidi, those milkweeds of yours are beautiful!! I have butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa) and can send you some seeds this year :)

Hmm, maybe we should start a "Milkweed seeds Adoption" thread. Gardeners who have no milkweed, but would like to grow some for butterflies could post in the thread to show interest. Volunteers with extra milkweed seeds could be paired up according to species suitability to hardiness zones. What do you think, Martha? I would be willing to host, and run it through the fall.

• leila hamaya
    10 years ago

i have some milkweed to share. sorry to say it has been sitting in my seed box, i meant to plant it but havent gotten around to it.

anyone who wants it let me know.

• oleganny
    10 years ago

beautiful photo, xiangirl - we have a similar milkweed growing right at the corner of the garden - DD put a big purple bucket right beside it so her DH wouldn't cut it down. He mowed down a big patch out in one of the pastures early on - thought he was going to lose his happy home for a while, but we found other stands so he was safe. I'm new to these forums & am having a ball reading all the posts. We haven't seen a lot of butterflies close to the house, but there is a patch of wildflowers out near the woods that they are just thick on when we take a tractor ride out there.

• kchd
    10 years ago

Hi folks,
    I started an "Adopt a Milkweed Newbie" thread in the seed exchange. Please consider joining. The monarchs need all the support they can get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie

• Only1God
    10 years ago

I have some Milk Weed seeds available. They were harvested from my butterfly garden. Let me know what you have for trade...

• NanaT
    10 years ago

I started with one plant and now have a massive amount. E-mail me and the seeds are yours for postage paid envelope. My pods are getting ready and since most people consider milkweed a week, I have had to get rid of many now before they burst. Neighbors not happy. So let me know.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?