Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Adopt Newbies Butterflies/Pollinators

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 7:30

Last year we had fantastic success with threads that brought newbies together with those who were already growing milkweeds. Over on the Butterfly Forum, some of us are hoping to expand on that theme and share all kinds of seeds from plants that could be nectar or host sources for a broad range of insects and birds. I wanted to at least get folks thinking early enough that they would have a chance to collect as much seed as possible this season. By sharing seeds and planting home grown sprouts, we can avoid the systemic pesticides that many growers have begun using with devastating results for pollinators.

If you would like to help, or have suggestions of seeds that would enhance gardens for pollinators, post here and list the types of seeds you will try to collect. That will help others get an idea of how they can help. I'll be saving:

Zinnias (single blooms)
Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower)
Verbena
Columbine canadensis
Liatris (several varieties)
Milkweeds
Joe Pye Weed
Dill
Fennel
Parsley
Rue
Monardas
Holly Hocks
Ageratum
Salvias
Agastache
Penstemon
Purple Coneflower
Boneset
Rudbeckias
Lupine

This list is far from exhaustive. I look forward to many more posters with more ideas. Together we can turn the pollinator problem around, and enjoy the miracles of nature and the warmth of sharing.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Adopt Newbies Butterflies/Pollinators

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:26

Great idea!

I would add Monarda sp., Asters, Ironweeds (Vernonia sp.), and Coreopsis to the list. Some are host plants, all are nectar plants. I usually collect those seeds every year.

Katie

o

Double good on ya for starting this thread! :)

How about Centranthus, Mums, Daisies, Dianthus, Wallflower and Sweet William.

o

How could I forget snapdragons? Chives are good early nectar plants, too. Mine are just dropping seeds now.

Martha

o

Chelone (Turtlehead) in any color.

Verbena hastata

Buddleia

o

Cilantro
Basil
Lemon Balm
Mints
Chamomile

I saw hummingbirds drinking nectar from tomato flowers! they practically check every flower in my garden, circling Echinacea right now.
I don't see how this might reduce pesticide use. Last year we had a huge insecticide here, a landscaping company sprayed linden trees right when they were blooming, killed tons of bumblebees.
My previous neighbor asked the city to exterminate a bee hive just because her yippee dogs would be chased by them. And the city did and a few weeks later a new bee colony moved in and died again.

Here is a link that might be useful: bumblebee death

o

• Posted by cdes 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:10

I am a newbie but already have many of the herbs, would like to get some of the flowers and be adopted by a veteran grower if possible. zone 4a

o

Bump.

o

would love to be adopted lost all my plants moving from MI to southern WV in July. appreciate any help. I have lots of butterflies and honeybees in the area I'd like to help :)

o

I can collect some Frogfruit for someone who wants the teeniest butterflies. I just moved and don't have much planted, but would love to have any Rue if you have extra seeds.

I want to have a large butterfly bed, but I have to make it a raised bed first. On a compacted gravel parking lot. Just can't always use that pick axe.

Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here