Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kchd_gw

HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed newbie

kchd
10 years ago

Milkweed newbies: Have you ever thought about planting milkweed (Asclepias species) to provide habitat for monarchs in your own backyard?

Butterfly enthusiasts: Do you wish more gardeners would plant milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) in their gardens to support declining monarch populations?

Here's where we come together!

This is a variation of previous adopt-a-newbie swaps, but the focus of this swap is for milkweed seeds. This exchange will run through the end of the year, as milkweed growers have seeds become available that they want to share.

"Newbies" are considered to be gardeners who do not already have milkweed growing in their gardens.

As recently pointed out in a post by docmom, Monarch butterflies are currently in serious decline. Here in the US, where they spend their breeding season, Monarchs are directly faced with habitat destruction. Monarch butterflies exclusively use milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) as their host plants, upon which they lay eggs and their caterpillars feed on the milkweed until they pupate. The planting of milkweeds in home gardens can greatly aid in providing much needed habitat for their conservation. In addition to serving as host plants for monarchs, milkweeds also provide nectar for many other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.

Costs to the Milkweed Newbie Adoptee:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage. Sending a pack of milkweed seeds, in a bubble envelope or otherwise wrapped for protection, will cost between 2 to 5 first class stamps, depending on how many seeds, and size & weight of the mailer.

Milkweed Newbie Adoptees:
--Please make sure your email address is enabled to "show to members" on your member page. You need to do this in order to be put on the list so that you can be contacted.
--you can list any special requests for certain milkweed species, although there are no guarantees that species will be available.
--include your zone & state.

Traders who want to adopt a milkweed newbie:
--Please pick someone who lives in a hardiness zone where your milkweed species will grow and survive.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, state, and offer to adopt them.
--work out how many stamps they need to send to you to cover the cost of postage and packaging.

The host/hostess(es) will (that's me, and other helpful volunteers):
--compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see if you have been adopted.
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details for how much postage you need to send to pay for mailing your milkweed seeds.
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adoption went through).
--Post good feedback / thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

Hoping there is lots of interest in this exchange. Feel free to pass the word around to generate more interest.

Got questions? Feel free to ask them here.

Want more info on Monarchs and Milkweed? Visit Monarch Watch

This post was edited by kchd on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 16:53

Comments (150)

• djune_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been adoped by nel.nucifera. I mailed the stamps today.
    Thanks so much,
    djune

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Milkweed Newbies up for Adoption

1. zioncottage, zone 7b, NC -- ADOPTED by kchd
    2. wonky, zone 7, AL -- ADOPTED by butterflymomok
    3. cinnie0, zone 9b, so. CA -- ADOPTED by kchd
    4. amber_m, zone 5, NY -- ADOPTED by xiangirl
    5. sambac, zone 10, FL -- ADOPTED by domehome
    6. sher305, zone 7, TX -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    7. edlincoln, zone 6a, Massachusetts -- ADOPTED by kchd
    8. BayL, zone 3/4, MN -- ADOPTED by xiangirl
    9. missiblueridge, zone 7a, NC -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    10. Dani0025, zone 4, NY -- ADOPTED by xiangirl
    11. craftie2, zone 8a, state???? -- ADOPTED by domehome
    12. sallygardens, zone 7, east TN -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    13. jkelley393, zone 8a, SC -- ADOPTED by poisondartfrog
    14. lisianthuslover, zone 7a, NC -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    15. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- ADOPTED by sweetbetsy
    16. floweron, zone 3, MN
    17. djune, zone 8, TX -- ADOPTED by nel.nuciferator
    18. ladyrose, zone 6b, NJ

Great to hear you received your seeds, Sally! Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks for joining us, NKUSigEp! You can tell the difference between A. syriaca and A. incarnata by leaf characteristics; you don't have to wait until they bloom.
    See this link: A. syriaca vs A. incarnata Milkweed

Sweetbetsy, thank you for adopting aquadragonfly!

Welcome, djune! You are on the list. And, Thank you, nel.nuciferafor joining us, posting a beautiful photo, and adopting djune!

Welcome, ladyrose! You're now on the list, too.

Thanks for stopping by to chat, docmom! No worries about rushing your seed pods. I know there are many folks up north who have not gotten seeds from their milkweeds yet. It's just a matter of time. That's why we're running this thing through the end of the year.

• Mark (wildflowerman_2000) Rose
    10 years ago

Hi ladyrose & Kchd,
    I'll be glad to adopt ladyrose. It's stilll early for my seed yet but there will be lots in a couple of months as you can see in the photo. Keep in touch.
    Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

10 years ago

I was by my milkweed garden today and took a couple more photos of some developping seed pods on A. tuberosa and A.incarnata. There are 50+ on each species so far and still tons of flowers as well as A. verticillata.

10 years ago

Here's the A. tuberosa photo.

10 years ago

And now the flowering A. verticillata.

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

Awe so pretty.
    My tuberosa died long before it was 10 inches.

The swamp and tropical mw has been the best for me!

• wonky
    10 years ago

hello! sorry I haven't checked in here in a while. I have not heard from butterflymomok since the last time she posted in the forum to email her. I have emailed her twice. Has anyone else heard from her?

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

kchd,

I offered to adopt Aquadragonfly and send her some tropical milkweed; however, she prefers one of the milkweeds which is hardy to her zone. Please put her back on the adoption list.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

wonky,

I've attempted to contact butterflymomok via gardenweb more than once this season and I've not received a reply, either. I'm beginning to think her email redirect is no longer working. Maybe she has had a change of email address and forgot to change her email redirect here on gardenweb. From reading her public postings on gardenweb, she is very responsive to everyone so not replying to gardenweb emails seems to me to be totally out of character for her. Another possibility ... she might be on vacation.

This will get straightened out, I'm sure, and rest assured, there will be plenty of Milkweed seed to share. Some gardeners may be waiting to be certain seed pods mature before offering to adopt gardeners wishing to participate.

Thank you for caring about the Monarchs.

Mary

• preseley
    10 years ago

I would like to be adopted :) We just moved into a house with a huge yard and I have just started planting things this year. I love butterflies and already have some flowers they are supoosed to like, but no milkweed. I would be happy to plant any type. I live in Arkansas. Thanks!

This post was edited by preseley on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 15:15

• peachbunnie
    10 years ago

i am a milkweed newbie but have a thriving garden, in lovely beaufort south carolina, one hr north of savannah, ga.. Any type would be great by me!!!

• peachbunnie
    10 years ago

i am a milkweed newbie but have a thriving garden, in lovely beaufort south carolina, one hr north of savannah, ga.. Any type would be great by me!!!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark, your milkweed photos are awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing! And I will add you to the list of the official adopter of ladyrose.

I hope that all of these photos that are being shared by members will encourage and inspire others to plant milkweeds in their gardens. They really are a fantastic genus of plants!

Wonky, I think Mary_littlerockar is right. Butterflymomok is very active here on GW, especially in the butterfly forum. Either the GW system is not delivering emails correctly or perhaps she is out of town. It's still early yet, and we will get you some milkweed seeds by the end of the fall, no matter what!

Sweetbetsy, thanks for letting us know. I will put aquadragonfly back on the list.

Preseley, I will add you to the list!

Peachbunnie, please make sure your member settings allow other members to email you. Otherwise, they can't get in touch to make seed arrangements.

be right back with an update...

This post was edited by kchd on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:45

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

15. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC
    16. floweron, zone 3, MN
    18. ladyrose, zone 6b, NJ -- ADOPTED by wildflowerman
    19. preseley, zone 7, AR

• sewwht
    10 years ago

I have some volunteer milkweeds. I do not know which kind they are. The pods are still green and fat, but it won't be long before they dry. I saw a Monarch in the other flower garden. It sounds like the milkweed helped! Thanks for the info.
    If anyone wants seeds LMK. I could adopt floweron, zone 3, MN because if they grow in Nebraska, Zone 5, they should be fine in MN.

• floweron
    10 years ago

I hope sewwht adopts me, actually I could be considered zone 4, I'm kinda right on the line and I know milkweed grows fine here.

• kmaries139
    10 years ago

Lurking newbie from Central Arkanss Zone 7 would love to be adopted :)

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I'm almost ready to send to jkelley393. I was waiting to add A. fruticosa to her assortment and should harvest some this weekend. As soon as I receive her postage I will pack up her envy and send it out.
    Alana

• petedist
    10 years ago

Milkweed seeds would be greatly appreciated. We have seen only a few monarchs here in Indiana this year. Ditto for honey bees. Anything we can do to help these creatures is our goal. John and Linda, Rome City, Indiana

10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    I hate the throw fire on this wonderful thread but feel we should be sticking to the native US milkweeds as offerings to folks here. There has been much research about introducing foreign Asclepias into our native populations. Number one is the fact that the Monarch prefer the US native species and they are much better for them. The alkaloids and several other complex compounds including cardenolides are of the proper amount in our native species and the introduced species can actually be toxic to our native monarchs. Second is the problem that some of the foreign species could become invasive and push out some of our natives either physically or by cross pollination and the contamination of our native gene pools.
    This is just my opinion but I hope all those who are really interested in growing milkweeds to help restore our Monarch populations will take this into consideration when they chose milkweeds to grow, We have many fabulous species native to the US which will more that take care of the butterflies.
    Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi sewwht, and thank you for joining us! It would be wonderful if you could adopt floweron! If you'd like, go ahead and post a photo(s) of your milkweed here, and we can help you figure out which species is it. Get pics that are close up of leaves, pods, as well as one that illustrates how they are arranged on the stem(s).

Hang in there, floweron! If sewwht doesn't adopt you, I will!

Welcome, kmaries139. Glad to have you! I will add you to the list of newbies :)

Those are some crazy looking seed pods you've got there, Alana!

Welcome, welcome, petedist / John & Linda! Putting you on the list of newbies, too!

Mark, thank you for your words of wisdom. For what it's worth, I agree with what you have written, as I am a die-hard native plant lover. We are lucky in that we have more than 110 species of milkweeds native to North America (!) However, I think this is a choice that each gardener must make for themselves. Providing others with information such as your post will allow gardeners to make a well informed choice. (unless someone is planting something invasive in their gardens, I'll not judge)

ok, be right back with an updated Newbie List!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

15. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC
    16. floweron, zone 3, MN
    19. preseley, zone 7, AR
    20. kmaries139, zone 7, AR
    21. petedist, zone 5, IN

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received stamps from edlincoln today. Here come your seeds, Ed! Whoohoo!!

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

Hey! I can adopt aquadragonfly, if not already taken...
    :)

• nel.nucifera
    10 years ago

Put my bubble envie out with today's mail for djune. Included some extras.

Nel

• Dani74
    10 years ago

I would love to grow some milkweed for the monarchs, I'm in NC, zone 7a

• Dani74
    10 years ago

I would love to grow some milkweed for the monarchs, I'm in NC, zone 7a

• Dani74
    10 years ago

my apologies for the double posting, i have a computer with a mind of its own- I didnt even think it had posted at all! Anyway's sorry to fill the news feed like this so again- I apologize!

This post was edited by Dani74 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 23:02

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

My milkweeds are looking fat, and they should be ready for picking soon I hope. But I feel confidant enough that I will have seeds that I'll adopt now.

I can adopt petedist, they are close enough to me that I'm pretty positive my milkweed will grow there.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Thank You Wildflowerman! I am psyched! I've been adopted!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

15. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    16. floweron, zone 3, MN
    19. preseley, zone 7, AR
    21. petedist, zone 5, IN -- ADOPTED by BeesNeeds
    22. Dani74, zone 7a, NC

Go for it, cghpnd! Aquadragonfly has not been adopted yet.

Thanks for letting us know, nel!

Welcome, Dani74; you're now on the list.

Sounds great, Beesneeds. Let us know when you 2 get in touch & the exchange is complete :)

sewwht & floweron, did you two get in touch?

wonky, have you been able to get in touch with butterflymomok?

• wonky
    10 years ago

no, I still have not been able to get in touch.

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

Ok,I sent an email to aquadraonfly

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Just now jumping on this thread - Butterflymomok will be in touch with you Wonky - she's been extra busy and I know she's also had a BUNCH of problems with Gardenweb this year.

I will have seeds available later in the fall - should have A. physocarpa, A. currassavica (two colors), A. tuberosa and A. incarnata. I've collected some A. syriaca seeds from fields so may have some of that too.

Laura

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

I'd like to be adopted. Can send a bubble envelope to be stuffed to the seams with any variety that will grow in north Louisiana. Just tell me how much in postage ;)

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

Edited due to a double post.

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 20:30

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

petedist and I have gotten a hold of each other via email.

I think I was overly hopeful about harvest time. When I first posted I figured a week or two. Looks more like mid September I think, maybe later. This is the first time I've paid mind for seed collecting.
    But all of the pods look wonderfully fat, and there's a lot.
    Thanks to kchd's help, I know know it's common milkweed, Asclepias syriaca.

I'm so optimistic about this, I'll adopt floweron too, if common milkweed is OK. No matter if anyone adopts floweron or not, email me floweron and I will send you out seed.

Here's one part of the patch in pod now..

• lenahall
    10 years ago

i'm so glad i found this post!! went to the tennessee chapter of wild ones meeting today, which was a lecture on monarchs. i have property that i am prepared to dedicate to a 'waystation'. i live in nw georgia and am looking for anything native to my area!!
    super excited!!!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1. zioncottage, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
    3. cinnie0, zone 9b, so. CA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
    7. edlincoln, zone 6a, MA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
    15. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- ADOPTED by cghpnd
    16. floweron, zone 3, MN --
    19. preseley, zone 7, AR
    21. petedist, zone 5, IN -- ADOPTED by BeesNeeds
    22. Dani74, zone 7a, NC
    23. LullabyF360, zone 8a, n LA
    24. lenahall, zone 7b, nw GA

Welcome, Laura! So glad you are joining us. And thanks so much for letting us know about butterflymomok. I figured there was some logical explanation. Wonky, stay tuned!

LullabyF360 and lenahall, Welcome! You're both on the list to be adopted.

Those milkweeds are looking good, BeesNeeds! Oh, the anticipation of waiting for those pods to ripen!

floweron, can you let me know who has gotten in touch with you to adopt you? (or your adopter can let me know, too)

If you all would like to let me know when seeds have been received, that would be great. Then I can mark adoptions as complete. That way we don't leave any newbies hanging, nor do we have seeds waiting around for an adoption that did not go thru because postage was not sent.

Whoohoo! We're rockin' and rollin' again!

• Dani74
    10 years ago

Just looked back and noticed I posted three different times?? my computer was giving me a fit and I didn't know it was posting at all so I am wanting to apologize to everyone for seeming over-zealous or like a pain- didn't even realize it had posted my post three times! My apologies for this on the feed. :)

• Dani74
    10 years ago

seems as though my posts show up more than once often lol! UGGGG!

This post was edited by Dani74 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 23:08

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries, Dani! Just think of it as a GW hiccup. It happens to all of us. Youc an always go back and edit posts if you want. Some people like to go back, edit posts & replace the duplicate text with a photo. That's always fun!

• domehomedee
    10 years ago

Update. Sambac has cancelled the trade, she already has the milkweed I was going to send her. Craftie2 has sent me postage and we are waiting for some other pods to open then I will send to her.

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

I'm so glad I have been added!! Sorry if it takes me a while to respond. My email has not been liking anything from GW recently. Gaaah!!!

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

This is going to be an odd question, but I told my sister in law about this. She said she would like to get in on it, too. HOWEVER, she does not have access to the internet & unable to have an account here. I told her I could just request to have a little extra seed thrown in for her. Does this seem alright with y'all?

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

Stupid double posting lol

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:42

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

SORRY FOR ALL OF THE POSTS

I figured out why I'm not received posts from this thread. It keeps unchecking me from the option to receive replies to my email :P

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAA!!

I give up on all of the unnesscary double, triple, whatever posts.

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:48

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

Please join us in the continuation of this thread in "Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - Part 2" on the Seed Exchange.

[please put this in the Link]:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/exseed/msg081819475217.html?1

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 18:36

Sponsored