Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kms4me

HAVE: Spotted ginger (asarum)-unique!

kms4me
10 years ago

This is a cold-hardy, deciduous ginger with bright golden spots. Obtained in a trade and I have no I.D. If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info.

I have approx. 8 seeds, currently stored warm and moist, for TRADE ONLY. Am looking for something equally unique/cool/rare, nothing common.

Comments (17)

• Mark (wildflowerman_2000) Rose
    10 years ago

kms4me,
    Really beautiful. I love anything variegated or with different colored foliage. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I doubt I have anything as nice as this but thought I'd ask.
    Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

8 years ago

Hi kms4me, I never heard anything from you about this. Any chance of getting a division? Mark at wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com

• kms4me
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wasn't offering divisions of this plant, I was offering seeds. I decided to grow them myself, and none of the resulting plants were variegated, so I haven't offered them again.

8 years ago

Hi kms4me, Thanks for getting back with me on this. I didn't expect that there would be any seed remaining but was hoping to trade for a division of the plant. It would surprise me if the seedling would come true to form as that is really rare. That is why I would prefer a piece of the original plant. Again contact me "off houzz" at wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com. Thanks Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

• kms4me
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am not trading this plant at this time. Despite being told it was a named cultivar, I cannot find anything to substantiate this. When I posted photos to several different forums in hopes of identifying it (not just on GW), the question arose that this ginger might be virally infected. IF the seedlings had come true, this would have been a fair indicator that the plant was truly variegated and not diseased, since it is widely believed that virus is not usually transmitted through seeds.

In spite of the possible virus issue, many people want this plant including several nursery owners. Until I can determine the reason for the variegation, I am not sending to anyone and losing my connection to it.

Interestingly, the seedlings are different from other asarum canadense plants--they are a lighter, almost chartreuse color. I am growing them on to see how they develop.

• kms4me
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Leila, I will make a note and try to remember to harvest some seeds next spring. And I appreciate your inner ecologist!

I am curious as to what native gingers you have in CA.

• leila hamaya
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i think what i have seen in the marble mountains is ASARUM CAUDATUM, which is the common one in the west. apparently i just learned by fact checking before posting =) - theres also these neat ones here ---> Asarum marmoratum

in the klamath -siskiyou mountains where i live. i will keep an eye out, i already have been, actually, but havent found any in my closest areas, only far away up in the marbles, on a creek that came off of the salmon river.

actually now that i look at it, i think i have seen those marbled types, somewhere, but i dont remember where.

• leila hamaya
    8 years ago

and yes my inner ecologist is good to have =) and not always such a spoilsport!! i do a lot of foraging and wildcrafting, and i am not shy about getting what i can when i can =)

but as i said these guys only have small populations in the few spots i have found them. i like when i run into large healthy patches, so i can take divisions/seeds/fruit/etc guilt trip free =) though its pretty rare that i dig things up, except for a few rare exceptions, or if theres so much my dividing is actually beneficial. some plants tend to crowd themselves out and a bit of dividing is good, gives them more room to spread out.

i am not into...some kind of total preservation, hands off, no humans allowed to use the forest...kind of ideaology...anyway, but i do believe that humans can and should have healthy interactions with nature, using what they find, harvesting respectfully.

• PRO
    Time 4 you
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I got this plant from my gardening buddy next door 6 years ago. Canadian Ginger with yellow spots. I can't find the name either. I also put on plant identification last year. No one knows.

• Linda Strachota
    4 years ago

I got mine from gardening friend about 8 years ago. She hybridized it. It is spotted ginger or dappled ginger as I call it.I started with 1 clump- I now have 8 clumps. I divide and sell it once a year in the fall. It is one of my favorite plants. I grow mine with soil that has plenty of compost. Most of my gardens are about 50 percent compost.

. I love anything varigated.

• linda strachota
    4 years ago

THE SEEDS FROM THE DAPPLED GINGER WILL-NOT BE THE SAME THEY WILL BE LIGHT GREEN. i HAVE 1 PLANT THAT IS 1/2 YELLOW AND 1/2 GREEN REALLY COOL. TO KEEP TRUE TO THE PARENT YOU MUST HAVE DIVISION OF MOTHER PLANT.

4 years ago

I am still interested in obtaining a division of this plant. I will be glad to get it anytime of the year. Please contact me at wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com when available

• linda strachota
    4 years ago

mark- where are you located? I am in cottage grove mn.

4 years ago

Hi Linda, I'm in the mountains of NC in Z-6. Asarum canadense occurs all around this area. I would love to acquire a division of your plant. Since it is dormant it would be a good time to ship.

• Amanda Gilman
    4 years ago

i would love some as well, send me a pm if you can :)

4 years ago

Linda, Would you please contact me off-Houzz in the future at the email address listed earlier.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA