Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

WANTED: 2-5 cent seed packets at Dollar General

ju1234
9 years ago

I just picked up a bunch of seed packets for 2, 5 cent each from Dollar General. I am sure all Dollar general have them on sale, 90% off original prices. These are American Seed Co. seeds. Original price was 25 cents to one dollar. Better than trying to save my own. Lots of flower and many of the popular veges and herbs. I know this is not a trade offer, Just thought people here might want to know.

Comments (8)

• sahmjay
    9 years ago

don't wanna burst your bubble but american seed co is owned by monsanto..

• scorion1
    9 years ago

You might want to look them up. Google Monsanto and see about GMO and lawsuits against farmer saving their own seeds. If you plan on saving seeds or someone lives near by does there could be a problem.I have grown them in the past.Their seeds grow sometimes and other times none will come up. I bought a few myself, only flower though to use for pest control.I do not want my vegetables to cross with their's. My seeds are true and are GMO free.I figure 2,5 cent is not a bad deal as long as they are flowers.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

It was nice of you to let people know. Most of us are very frugal and watching our budget. I know DG seeds don't always germinate, but even at full price it's often worth the risk.
    GardenWeb has a lot of dedicated non-GMO people, many who don't like any pesticides or chemicals on any of the plants. They also won't want to trade with anyone who uses these seeds or these chemicals. Just a heads up.
    I also found out there are some people who should have Ph.Ds in flowerology. They know everything. They know the latin name, the regular name in 6 different states, where the plant came from in the year 200 B.C. and which parts of the plant are edible. (Laugh here.)
    Glad to have you on here!
    Heidi in Nebraska

• tomfoo13ry
    9 years ago

Hi, newbie here, but I'd like to hop in with a bit of a correction.

I do not believe that American Seed is owned by Monsanto. They are owned by Plantation Products, the same people that own Ferry-Morse and Jiffy.

According to Plantation, they do NOT sell GM seeds. I don't know whether they buy non-GMO seed from Monsanto but I'm fairly certain that they aren't owned by them.

• scorion1
    9 years ago

Yes, tomfoo13ry they are own by Plantation Products,Ferry-Morse and Jiffy, but there are two American seeds neither is part of one another. Monsanto makes GMO seeds which can cross with peoples crops. It is nice that ju123 let people know about the seeds. for 2 and 5 cent it is a good deal on seeds. Just put the in a bag to keep them from getting damp and out of the sunlight. They do grow most of the time.

• mrsdlight
    9 years ago

Christmas tree shop has 99% off seeds at near the end of summer...most are lake valley seed and seed from Italy ...that is if you have a store near you.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted this in good faith but it has turned into a philosophical discussion. My intention was to let people know of a good deal so they can take advantage of this, if they wish.

I looked up on line, clarification: (I don't know if I can give a link here) but if you search "seed companies owned by Monsanto", it comes up with the long list. Monsanto owns "American Seeds" (and I don't think they sell retail because this name does not even come on seed company searches) not "American seed co". Also, I doubt Monsanto would sell their GMO or Hybrid seeds for 2 cents or allow their subsidiaries to do so.

The "American seed co" I am referring to is "American Seed Co" by Plantation products LLC". I did not see any Hybrid varieties among those seeds at Dollar General (or elsewhere), so they are all heirlooms. Like others have pointed out, Plantation sells seeds under ferry Morse, McKenzie, Jiffy, NK Lawn & Garden. I have seen these brands sold at major chains.

As far as germination rates, I planted same seeds this summer which I had picked up last year for 5 cent per packet. I did not have any problem with any of the veges but did have poor germination with some flowers, perhaps I planted some at wrong time of the year. Even if the germination rate was 50%, at 2 cents a packet, they are still hell of a bargain. Who needs 50 or 100 seeds of one variety any way (except for a few commercial or semi-commercial growers here).

• tomfoo13ry
    9 years ago

I forgot to say in my last post...thank you for the heads-up ju1234. Picked up about 80 packets of asst. flowers and veg seeds for next to nothing.

This post was edited by tomfoo13ry on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 23:03

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler