Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

WANTED: sticky posts!

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi folks,

Just added a new feature -- sticky posts! I know this will be a big help on the exchanges, so please let me know what you'd like to see listed in the post. While it is tempting to put a lot of information in this post, keep in mind that if it's overwhelming, most users won't take the time to read it. I think that spelling out things like special instructions and forum rules of play would be great and then having links to the specific FAQs for other info would work out the best.

Let me know what you'd like to see and I'll add it in.

Tamara

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Hi gwTamara,

What a great new feature! Ok...for starters, and I agree about keeping it brief so it won't be overwhelming, I think the Special Instructions for the Exchange need reworked, since a lot of it sounds very unfriendly, and some of it is obsolete.

Next, I would like to see links, like you said, to the appropriate FAQ.

Way back when you OKed me getting the FAQ together and input, I 'started' an FAQ outlive, and input it as the last FAQ, just so it could be linked easily for more input. I started a thread asking for input on the FAQ and the FAQ outline, but there was only one response.

See link below for outline started so long ago...sigh.

Sue...resident busybody

also...see Notes/suggestions I made to the existing Special Instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange FAQ Outline 10-2010

11 years ago

This isn't necessarily a suggestion for a 'sticky post' here at The Seed Exchange, but would it be possible to set up having a Member Page email link as the default way to go when a new member joins?

Years ago, it 'used to be' the default. Now it defaults to there not being a check mark in the box for Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

This results in I'd guess somewhere between 25% and 50% of the new members not having an email link, thus no way to reach them. To compound the problem, they often don't check the box to get follow-up replies emailed to them, so they end up making their initial post here, and then are never seen or heard from again.

I don't know how many times I have posted to new member's posts who have no Member Page email link with instructions on how to get it set up for trading. Probably hundreds. When I occasionally go back and check to see if the new member ever set up their email link, it seems that less 50% of them ever saw my post, or actually followed through with getting set up correctly for trading.

If they do happen to proceed with trading with no Member page email link, and something goes awry, it then sometimes results in traders giving a 'shout out post' here, trying to find a way to contact the new member.

Could "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site" be changed to the default setting? I think it would be very beneficial by 'encouraging' new members to actually get to trading, and then sticking around and adding so much to Garden Web membership and The Seed Exchange activity.

Just my 3 cents.

I know that both old and new members come and go on forums, but it would be nice to see more of the new ones sticking around, and becoming 'active' members.

Sue

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sue,

I know it would be easier if the default was set up differently. But, it really comes down to a privacy issue. There are many members who do not wish to be contacted by anyone. Remember, there are a lot of new members who sign up who aren't interested in trading. We have to respect their privacy and wishes.

I'm not sure that this is why contact is lost with a member. If a newbie posts a request, and if they are truly interested in following up on the trade, they would come back to the forum. After all, they haven't activated their email preferences, so revisiting their post is how they would make contact. It's certainly possible if they were to get an email, it might prompt them to return to the forum. But, I think that some members just lose interest or change their minds.

I think a sticky post would certainly help in this regard. There is certainly a lot of great information in the outline, and everyone should read it. But, frankly, from my experience, most people tend to jump into things and don't want to read the 'manual'. Have you noticed that when you buy a new coffee maker or a vacuum cleaner, that there is usually a one-page guide, typically with pictures, that show you how to use the product in a few steps? People don't want to take the time to read the instructions (even if that is the smart thing to do) -- it's all about instant gratification. In this case I think what would work best in a sticky post would be to come up with something like a 'quick-start' guide. Make a bulleted list with your top 3 (or whatever number) things to do before trading. It could be something like:

- Enable your email preferences (link)
    - Fill out your trade list (link)
    - Read the trading FAQ (link)

I think that if a newbie reads something very simple and concise to get started, they'll be more apt to enable their email.

Let me know what you think!

11 years ago

Let me know what you think!
    Yes, I agree that things need to be kept as simple as possible.

Much as I would like the default checked to have an email link, and it set to default to show email addy to NONE, I guess I'll have to accept it.

Enable your email preferences (link)
    how about
    -Set up your Member Page email link (optional-so that you can easily be reached for trading)(link)
    and
    -Questions? Post to Seed Exhange Conversations (link)
    or explain how to do a search of 'just' the Seed Exchange Forum via the search box found just below the list of threads on page one.

Sue

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Tamara, I would like to see a change:

Make it mandatory that growing zone is included in the person's 'My Page'. If they don't include it, the setup would not go through until they did so.

It's so annoying to have to email the member a few times to find out basic information!

11 years ago

Looks good! Thanks for the sticky.

Now when someone posts, with no email link, no wish list, no trade list, we can just refer them to the sticky.

Sue...resident busy body

Sponsored