Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

o
HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed newbie - Part 2

Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 18:19

Milkweed newbies: Have you ever thought about planting milkweed (Asclepias species) to provide habitat for monarchs in your own backyard?

Butterfly enthusiasts: Do you wish more gardeners would plant milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) in their gardens to support declining monarch populations?

Here's where we come together!

This is a variation of previous adopt-a-newbie swaps, but the focus of this swap is for milkweed seeds. This exchange will run through the end of the year, as milkweed growers have seeds become available that they want to share.

"Newbies" are considered to be gardeners who do not already have milkweed growing in their gardens.

As recently pointed out in a post by docmom, Monarch butterflies are currently in serious decline. Here in the US, where they spend their breeding season, Monarchs are directly faced with habitat destruction. Monarch butterflies exclusively use milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) as their host plants, upon which they lay eggs and their caterpillars feed on the milkweed until they pupate. The planting of milkweeds in home gardens can greatly aid in providing much needed habitat for their conservation. In addition to serving as host plants for monarchs, milkweeds also provide nectar for many other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.

Costs to the Milkweed Newbie Adoptee:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage. Sending a pack of milkweed seeds, in a bubble envelope or otherwise wrapped for protection, will cost approx. 2 to 5 first class stamps, depending on the packaging.

Milkweed Newbie Adoptees:
--Please make sure your email address is enabled to "show to members" on your member page. You need to do this in order to be put on the list so that you can be contacted.
--you can list any special requests for certain milkweed species, although there are no guarantees that species will be available.
--include your zone & state.

Traders who want to adopt a milkweed newbie:
--Please pick someone who lives in a hardiness zone where your milkweed species will grow and survive.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, state, and offer to adopt them.
--work out how many stamps they need to send to you to cover the cost of postage and packaging.

The host/hostess(es) will (that's me, and other helpful volunteers):
--compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see if you have been adopted.
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details for how much postage you need to send to pay for mailing your milkweed seeds.
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adoption went through).
--Post good feedback / thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

Hoping there is lots of interest in this exchange. Feel free to pass the word around to generate more interest.

Got questions? Feel free to ask them here.

Want more info on Monarchs and Milkweed? Visit Monarch Watch

This post was edited by kchd on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 23:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed newbie - Part 2

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 18:26

Milkweed Newbies up for Adoption
Updated 12/1/13

1. zioncottage, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
2. wonky, zone 7, AL -- adopted by butterflymomok - COMPLETE
3. cinnie0, zone 9b, so. CA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
4. amber_m, zone 5, NY -- adopted by xiangirl -- address needed
5. sher305, zone 7, TX -- adopted by cghpnd - - COMPLETE
6. edlincoln, zone 6a, MA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
7. BayL, zone 3/4, MN -- adopted by xiangirl -- COMPLETE
8. missiblueridge, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by cghpnd
9. Dani0025, zone 4, NY -- adopted by xiangirl
10. craftie2, zone 8a, state???? -- adopted by domehome
11. sallygardens, zone 7, east TN -- adopted by cghpnd - COMPLETE
12. jkelley393, zone 8a, SC -- adopted by poisondartfrog
13. lisianthuslover, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by cghpnd - COMPLETE
14. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by cghpnd
15. djune, zone 8, TX -- adopted by nel.nuciferator
16. ladyrose, zone 6b, NJ -- adopted by wildflowerman
17. preseley, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar - COMPLETE
18. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar
19. petedist, zone 5, IN -- adopted by BeesNeeds - COMPLETE
20. Dani74, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by poisondartfrog - COMPLETE
21. LullabyF360, zone 8a, n LA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
22. lenahall, zone 7b, nw GA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
23. socalgardengal, zone 10, CA -- adopted by socalgal -- COMPLETE
24. GMOFREEGUY, zone ?, n.CA -- adopted by domehome -- seeds sent
25. darlene87, zone 7, WA -- adopted by terenne & xiangirl -- COMPLETE
26. kathunder, zone 6a, OH -- adopted by docmom -- COMPLETE
27. Itzybitzy, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by wildflowerman2000
28. andbowen, zone 7b/8a, TX -- adopted by kchd
29. madcatter13, zone 6b, PA -- adopted by caterwallin -- COMPLETE
30. plantsforever, zone 6, -- adopted by caterwallin -- COMPLETE
31. michi81, zone 7, NC -- adopted by terenne
32. beth4652, zone 7, GA
33. abarbie4me, zone 8, TX
34. MrsHolland, zone 7, NC
35. Fernette, zone 6, PA -- adopted by kchd -- COMPLETE
36. swimbikerun, zone 5b, MI -- adopted by xiangirl
37. Lorabell, zone 8, NC
38. Duchessof8939, zone 6, TN
39. yeli0507, zone 9, state ??
40. sandy_village, zone 9, CA
41. clipclop, zone 8a, GA -- adopted by dem_pa
42. em247, zone 5a, IA -- adopted by docmom
43. teisa, zone 6, TN
44. Shannon.S, zone 10, FL
45. blossombrigade, zone 6/7, UT

This post was edited by kchd on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:51

o

Posting here to be notified of any updates. Hopefully, I won't crowd this thread with duplicate posts.

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:18

Hey Kchd, Sallygardens received her seeds.

o

If the following varities of milkweed are acceptable to preseley and kmaries139, I will adopt them as they live in my growing zone. My email addy is shown on 'my page' here on gardenweb.

preseley - zone 7, AR

kmaries139 - zone 7, AR

Please be aware that some types of milkweed require cold stratification in order for the seed to germinate.

I usually use the winter sowing method to germinate my seed in a plastic juice or cola bottle or milkjug that has been prepared for this easy method of seed germination. Using this method allows for the natural occurrence of cold stratification which is required for many varieties of milkweed. The seed will germinate when mother nature tells them spring has sprung and it is time to get up and get busy! If you want to learn more about "Winter Sowing", there is a great Winter Sowing forum right here on Gardenweb.

I now have fresh seed of the following milkweed:

A tuberosa milkweed - aka Butterfly Weed ... (started from seed) seed needs NO cold stratification

A tuberosa milkweed - aka Butterfly Weed - seed pods

Monarch nectaring on Asclepias curassavica milkweed - aka 'tropical milkweed' silky gold - this milkweed is grown as an annual in most growing zones - seed needs NO cold stratification

Asclepias syriaca milkweed - aka Common Milkweed - unopened flower head (umbels)
photographed May 31, 2013 - color of blooms is off white and dusky rose - seed REQUIRES cold stratification

Asclepias syriaca milkweed - aka Common Milkweed bloom - seed REQUIRES cold stratification

mini greenhouses created from plastic juice bottles and used to germinate all types of seed - hinged top is thrown back in this photo

Happy gardening!

Mary

o

Mary they look great to me! I would be really happy if you adopt me. I don't think cold stratification will be a problem, I have never done it but will definately give it a try. Thanks!

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 17:29

Thanks for the update on sallygardens receiving her seed, cghpng!

Mary, those photos are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing, and for the very helpful advice on Winter Sowing. That is one of my favorite methods for sowing seeds. I will put you down for adopting both newbies.

FYI, I think it will be best if I simply update the list of "Milkweed Newbies up for Adoption" in the post at the top of this thread, rather than re-posting it over and over. That way people can easily find it without having to scroll through all the posts. I will put a date at the top of the post indicated when it was last updated. You will see posts from me throughout the thread acknowledging updates and welcoming newcomers.

Asclepias tuberosa, Butterflyweed

o

kchd,

That color is fabulous! Is it from a wild butterfly weed plant or from seed you've purchased? Just a stunning color.

Mary

This post was edited by mary_littlerockar on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 18:25

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 18:32

Mary,
That is a wild plant growing around here. Many of the A. tuberosa in this area are that color. All of the A. tuberosa that I have purchased have been the more typical orange color. I have some small Hello Yellow plants that I grew from seed this spring, but it will be awhile before I see flowers. I will try to get some seeds if I see pods.
Katie

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 21:19

I just heard from floweron that nobody had gotten in touch about adopting her. So, I have some native milkweed species that will be hardy for her and will be adopting her.

o

I'm still waiting for the pods in my zone to ripen. The plants in my garden didn't get pollinated very well, so the few pods I have on my A. incarnata are small and still green. My A. tuberosa is still blooming, so has not formed any pods yet. And the A. syriaca growing down the road just has lots of green pods. So, don't worry, Newbies. There are still folk out here who will adopt you as soon as the time is right.

Martha

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 23:50

I just watched a fantastic presentation by Dr. Chip Taylor
"Monarch Butterfly Conservation: The Challenges Ahead"
via youtube. I found it to be excellent.

It is a rather long presentation (an hour), and you might want to skip the first 6 minutes to get past the rather long introduction by the host. But, for any of you that want to know about the state of the Monarch population, this video is not to be missed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Butterfly Conservation: The Challenges Ahead

o

I have been growing A. tuberosa for a few years and have recently received A. curassavica seeds in a trade. So I'm not a newbie exactly. However, I would like to expand and grow other kinds of milkweeds, particularly A. incarnata and A. verticillata. I have A. tuberosa seeds to trade.
Thanks,
Susan

o

Never heard back from xiangirl, I seem to have deleted the email

o

Never heard back from xiangirl, I seem to have deleted the email

o

Nothing yet from jkelley.

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 20:04

Floweron, I wrote you back an email with my address. Did you get it?

Dani0025, I know that xiangirl has been super busy these last couple of weeks, and perhaps the seeds aren't ripe yet. You might try emailing her again thru GW if you lost her original email. Let me know if you have troubles getting in touch.

Alana, I would just use my best judgement with how long you should wait to receive stamps before you move on. You're a veteran at this, and can offer much more guidance than I can on an appropriate amount of time to wait before sending seeds to a another, more responsive newbie ;)

I do like keeping track of how many milkweed seeds we get into the hands of gardeners who have never grown milkweed before. This is a collective effort, and I am just the organizer. Here's hoping we can inspire our family, friends, and neighbors into growing milkweeds, too.

o

kchd, yes, I received your email. Will be sending stamps tommorrow...Thank you so much!

o

Sorry for the extra posts

This post was edited by socalgardengal on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:05

o

Hi, I would love to be adopted. I would be interested in any kind of milkweed as I don't know what varieties there are. Is it pretty easy to grow? I'm in San Diego , California zone 10. Thank you so much.

o

Hi, I would love to be adopted. I would be interested in any kind of milkweed as I don't know what varieties there are. Is it pretty easy to grow? I'm in San Diego , California zone 10. Thank you so much.

o

Sorry for extra post

This post was edited by socalgardengal on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:07

o

Yikes, I apologize for the extra posts. My clicker finger was excited lol. Sorry :)

o

ARG! The gremlins on GW have struck yet again!! Somehow I was unchecked to receive post replies.

Socalgardengal,
I know all about the double, triple posts. Has been doing it to me, too. In fact, it was that reason that made me run the part 1 of this thread to its limit!

o

Why does it keep unchecking? This is annoying. Sorry for taking up the space!!!

o

Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 23:03

socalgardengal, I'm adding you to the list! Welcome, welcome!

o

Hey I live in northern california and I would love some milkweed seeds. Im a newbie gardener so I dont really have anything to trade but I would love to be adopted :)

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:25

I will adopt socalgardengal. I just harvested a pod of Asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed) seeds. It does very well here in San Diego.
Ruth

o

Thank you Ruth! I live down the street from you. Sent email

o

I would love to have some seeds. I could not find plants in several nurseries or seeds either. I see a Monarch butterfly here and there, but not a lot. Would love to help out in preserving their needs.
Darlene

o

Quite so, Katie.
Has Dani74 been adopted? If not I will adopt that member.
Alana

o

Hi, I'm Kim. I am new to seed exchange and I would love to be adopted. I'm in Ohio, zone 6a.
I don't really know much about milkweed, so any type would be great.

Thanks so much!

o

I'd like to adopt GMOFREEGUY. I can send him a couple types of milkweed and some other herbs and such to get him started. I'll go ahead and email him.

o

Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 10:24

Welcome, GMOFREEGUY, darlene87, and kathunder! I will put all 3 of you on the list.

Poisondartfrog, Dani74 has not been adopted, so thank you!

How funny, socalgal & socalgardengal, that you are practically neighbors! Haha, you can probably save on postage ;)

Thank you, domehome, for adopting another newbie, and helping out with some gmo-free seeds. Bonus!

This post was edited by kchd on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 10:33

o

Hi you guys! I'm new to milkweed( had no idea they are so many varieties) would love to grow it! I live in central NC zone 7b I would try your favorite variety:) Thanks so much for doing this.Regards,Itzel.

o
Seeds Mailed - Adopt a Milkweed newbie - Part 2

kchd,

Just wanted to let you know my MW seed envelopes went out today to my adoptee's:

18. preseley, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar
19. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar

Questions on how to germinate the milkweed seed ...

There is the Butterfly forum, which is very active and where all sorts of questions related to growing host and nectar plants for butterflies is discussed.

There is the Winter Sowing forum here on Gardenweb. Since most varieties of perennial milkweed seed require cold stratification, Winter Sowing easily meets that requirement. Learn all about winter sowing on this forum.

Also, a new Milkweed specific forum here on Gardenweb is in the works so watch for that forum.

Google ... milkweed seed germination ... to find lots of articles and how-to's.

Happy gardening.

Mary

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 19:45

Hi there, Itzybitzy, welcome! I will add you to the list.

Thanks for the update, Mary! And for the helpful links to get the milkweed newbies started. Personally, I prefer to winter-sow my milkweed seeds. It's nearly foolproof and I don't have to worry about predation of the seeds by any critters or buglies.

I have a feeling we may start picking up the pace as we move into fall and people start thinking about what to plant next year, and milkweed growers start really harvesting their seed.

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:25

Hey KCHD, lisianthuslover received her seeds!

o

I received my seeds from Mary_littlerockar yesterday. She sent me several types of seeds and I can't wait to plant them!

Thanks so much Mary!

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:28

Wonderful to hear, cghpnd and preseley! Thanks for the updates :)

o

I'd like to adopt Kathunder (Kim). My milkweed pods are nearly ripe and I also purchased some commercial types I've never grown, so I have plenty to share. I'll e-mail her now.

Martha

o

I received dani's postage and will be mailing her seeds Monday.
Alana

o

Kathunder has responded to my e-mail and will be sending me postage and her address. Please consider her adopted.

Martha

o

Checking back in...the seeds are from a. speciosa (the pic is of the only flower I could find left in the stand where I found these guys - near Enid, OK).

I'm really interested in trading for a. tuberosa or baptisia australis seeds if at all possible. Thanks!

o

Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:42

Thank you so much for the updates, poisondartfrog and docmom! I will go update the newbie list.

floweron, I have not received any stamps from you yet.

Gorgeous photo, NKUSigEp! I sent you an email.

Has anyone had much luck with monarch caterpillars this year?

o

I haven't received anything. Try emailing me directly at ajd1221@live.com. I'm just west of Cincinnati.

EDIT: Never mind, got it. :) It was just a little slow getting over to me.

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 8:46

o

Hi kchd,
I would like to adopt itzybitzy who is in 7NC hopefully near me. Seed production is doing well and hopefully seed will start to ripen in the next few weeks. See attached photo of A. tuberosa.
Regards,
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

o

Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 6:14

I had Monarchs from mid June til early August. I thought they would of left me more eggs like the first time but thats when it dipped to about 50 for a few nights straight and 60s during the day...I sure do miss them!

o

I'm in the Catskill mountains North East. I have a couple acres of common milkweed and would be happy to send pods to those that want it. Still green here but lots of pods. Mine just self seeds everywhere...very rural. I have so much i often have a bag in my car and let it loose out my window to hopefully self seed all the way to Manhattan. : ) wishful thinking but why not?

o

I have received stamps from Kathunder and will send her seeds as soon as they are ripe. The common milkweed is going slowly and I estimate it may be two more weeks. The swamp milkweed and butterfly weed are also still greenish, but they are close.

Martha

o

Mark,
That's an impressive collection of tuberosa pods. I just counted mine and I have 17 pods on about 10 plants. This is their first year to bloom, so next year should be better. I also found three pods on my first-ever A. curassavica. I don't know how long it takes for those pods to ripen. I would love to get seeds from that plant. I'll keep checking in occasionally to see if anyone from my region needs adopting, since it looks like I'll have plenty to share with at least a few more.

Martha

o

Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 22:11

Lovely photo, Mark! You've got an impressive pod collection growing there. And yes, please do go ahead and contact itzybitzy for adoption.

Martha, your milkweeds sound nice and productive, too! Thanks for updating us on your adoption of kathunder.

Sleevendog, what a great visual of you spreading seeds. I love it!!! Please feel free to adopt a newbie when your seeds are ready :)

FYI, I will be out of town until Tuesday. I may not be able to post updates to the thread until then. I'm sure you all can hold your own and keep it organized til I get back.

o

Currentriverdenny zone 7

o

GMOFREEGUY - sent

Crafty2 - still waiting on those blue butterflyweed seeds. The little buggers just don't want to open.

Anyone wanting Asclepias curassavica seeds - I have lots to share if you want to do a sase or have other butterfly weeds to trade. email me for my address at dee-moore@sbcglobal.net

What's really sad is I have all this butterfly weed this year and no caterpillers - not a one. I had lots last year, boo hoo.

o

Dani0025,
I sent you another email. My milkweed seeds are ready. I haven't followed this thread closely. I started a new job. Very stressful.
Heidi

o

heading down to the georgia native plant society's plant sale tomorrow!! hoping to pick up some m.w. and am still hoping to be adopted :)
(NW Ga almost in TN)

o

Sounds like people are noticing that the monarchs are doing a disappearing act in their area and personally, I've only seen one all summer. My guess is that the monarchs have vacated areas that don't have a high enough concentration of milkweeds and need to be reintroduced.

So after establishing a few milkweed plants in your garden, it might be necessary to raise larvae yourself. It looks like the monarchwatch site is out of stock for this year too. :( Here's the link anyways:
http://shop.monarchwatch.org/RearingKit.htm

o

I got my seeds from poisondartfrog! thank you so much! I would have posted earlier but me and all four kids have been fighting the flu, ugg, anyways- thanks again for the seeds and i look forward to monarchs showing up here at my house finally!! :)

o

Would someone be willing to adopt me? I'd love some milkweed! I live in Dallas, TX (7b/8a). Thanks in advance!!!

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 18:36

Hi everyone! Well I'm back from my trip and it looks like I have some updating to do. I will go do so in the list of Newbies to be Adopted right after I post this.

It also looks like I have some housekeeping to do on the list of successful adoptions.

Thanks for the update, domehome! Very generous of you to offer up the tropical milkweed seeds.

Currentriverdenny, I see that you posted your name and zone, but what does that mean? Do you want to adopt or be adopted? Typically, proper etiquette would dictate that you would say something in your post.

Lenahall, how was the native plant sale? Did you pick up lots of goodies? DO tell!

Thanks so much for updating us, Dani74! I can tell you're excited! Poisondartfrog always sends wonderful seeds.

Welcome, andbowen! I will add you to the list of adoptees :)

It has been over 3 weeks since I sent an email to floweron offering to adopt. I never received any stamps in the mail or further correspondence. So, I will be moving on to the next newbie. If floweron resurfaces on the thread, then they can be re-added to the list for adoption. I don't feel that it is fair to reserve seeds for a long time, waiting on stamps, when there are other newbies who are waiting to be adopted.

So, with that, I'd like to adopt LullabyF360 and lenahall. I will send you both an email after posting to the thread. Please let me know if you do not receive my email (or check your spam filter).

Katie

This post was edited by kchd on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 18:43

o

If you have sent me an email already, I have not got it. It is not in my spam folder.

o

I adopted 3 people.
BayL, zone 3/4, MN -- seeds are going out tomorrow
amber_m, zone 5, NY --emailed for address
Dani0025, zone 4, NY -- can't seem to make a connection

Heidi

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 19:17

Hiya, Heidi! Thanks for the update :) I know you are swamped at work these days. I will go update the newbie list with your info.

LullabyF360, I sent you an email directly this time (not thru GW). Hope that works. Otherwise, feel free to email me directly.

If anyone sees that I have missed or forgotten something, feel free to throw a milkweed seed pod at my head to get my attention, and let me know what it is!

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 20:48

Welcome back kchd!

I have not heard from missiblueridge, aquadragonfly or sher305 since my last email sent to them.

So Im ready to move on to more newbies as they become available on the list.

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 15:43

Socalgardengal and I emailed back and forth and she was going to pick up the seeds (she lives about a mile from me) but I haven't heard from her in about three weeks. I never got her exact address, just the street name, so I can't deliver or mail them. I'll just hold onto the seeds for her - maybe life got in the way. There's still lots of time to plant them in our zone.

o

Sent my envelope and postage to cghond weeks ago and it has not returned to me. My computer crashed and I lost a lot of my info but still would love to have some seeds if still available. I can send another envelope if you will send me your address!
Thanks.

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 11:39

I just sent you an email sher.
I haven't received anything in the mail yet.

o

kchd

Your stamps are being mailed tomorrow.

o

Pods are ripening slowly. I harvested the Asclepias incarnata last week and I check my tuberosa and curassavica every day. The common milkweed down the road, I check at least weekly. I'll probably walk down there every day this week, since they should start to split soon. I haven't forgotten you, Kathunder, and I've packed up several nice nectar plants and parsley for the Black Swallowtails.

Martha

o

Still soft pods here in NY but the leaves are yellow. I like the rubber band trick i just read about. We are having a slow fall and still without frost. I'll check back and offer when ready just in case anyone wants more or left out.

o

Just completed a successful trade with mary_littlerockar and kchd. I still have a few a. speciosa (showy) and a lot of a. syriaca (common) to trade if anyone's interested.

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 12:53

o

I've been in touch with my adoptee, and gotten postage from them.

Only problem is I'm not sure of when I should be picking my milkweed for seed.
When I gently squeeze a pod, the inside feels extremely firm, but the outer hull is still quite soft. I've read that timing is important, don't let your pods split.. But I'm not sure if I'm even close to that point or not.
It's regular common milkweed... Could someone offer some advice on how I know when the pods are about ready to pick or should be picked?

Thanks!

-B-

o

I have lots of Milkweed plants growing wild in our yard in Zone 5, Nebraska. At the moment only 2 pods are dry and seeds are ready. I guess these are Common Milkweed.

Each pod has quite a few seeds so I can adopt 2 newbies now and more later. Will post again when more seeds are ready.

With my bad memory, I forgot who I was adopting. Does anyone remember?
Dianne

o

Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 23:01

Good to hear from everybody!

Lullaby, I'll be keeping an eye out for your stamps!

lenahall, I tried to email you. Did you receive it? Are you still interested in being adopted?

Yep, I'm still waiting on a few pods to ripen, myself. Feel free to stop by again, folks, as you are looking to adopt newbies to find happy homes for any extra milkweed seeds you have. BeesNeeds, I would wait until your pods just start to crack open before you harvest seeds.

Dianne/sewwht, feel free to pick a newbie to adopt from the list at the top of this thread. Thanks for the photo!

o

I have swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) available if anyone still needs to be adopted. Feel free to send me an email.
Liz

o

• Posted by BayL none (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 23:03

Hi all! I have received my seeds from xiangirl. I won't be fall planting though, because my husband & I are are buying our first home! The deal has been approved & just waiting on inspections. We know the sellers & the home, everything will pass (:
So I'll be stratifying & planting this spring at our new home.
Thanks xiangirl, for the seeds & the lovely packets with detailed instructions!

o

Ok - so I'm going to venture out here. I'd love to plant some milkweed seed in my zone 6b area of south eastern PA. I think the grandkids will enjoy them as well as the butterflies.

Cathy

o

I'll have honeyvine milkweed (cynanchum laeve) here shortly if anyone is interested in a few of those seeds. I bit the bullet this year and let it creep along the fence instead of tearing it out. I spotted a monarch on it earlier this year and there's an empty cocoon attached to it that I just noticed last night.

*Not for the faint of heart since this looks like your typical vining weed you pull out of your flower beds! You have to make the mental commitment to letting it grow and not ripping it out!"

o

Duplicate post - ignore.

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 16:55

o

not sure why i'm not getting these updates sent to my email inbox :( anyhoo, katie, i responded to your email :)
thanks!
lena

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 20:35

Hi there, dr.liz! Thanks for joining us and offering to adopt a newbie! Swamp milkweed is a real beauty, and does well in so many states across the eastern US.

BayL, congrats on your new home!! I hope it is filled with butterflies & pollinators for many years to come. Thanks so much for letting us know that you received your seeds from Heidi/xiangirl. Aren't her seed packets great?!?!!

Cathy/madcatter13, I will put you on the list to be adopted. So glad to have you join us in our quest to plant milkweeds for monarchs and other pollinators!

NKUSigEp, good to see you post again. I'm right there with you on the honeyvine milkweed. If you have the room for it, why not grow that big ole beastie?! I got some seeds for it last year. Talk about some big seeds!!

Hi lenahall! I got your email. Hopefully you got mine in return because I sent you my mailing address. I'll be waiting for your stamps :)

o

So through this exchange, I have ended up with a handful of different asclepias varieties and am curious; will they hybridize? I have heard showy milkweed and common milkweed will readily cross-pollinate and I'm hoping to avoid that since the showy variety is, by most accounts, a prettier flower and I would like to continue gathering seed from it in the future.

How about swamp milkweed or tropical milkweed? Or is this a lost cause to try to separate them?

o

Hi guys, don't know how I missed this thread, although I don't usually check the seed exchange over the summer. Anyway, I would be happy to adopt a milkweed newbie. I have Asclepias syriaca, A. tuberosa, A. incarnata, and A. curassavica seeds. Can send a few of each. I've done many seed offers, SASBEs, trades etc. All I need from the newbie is a mailing label and 5 stamps, and baggies if the newbie has them (okay if they don't), all of which can be sent in a 1st class envelope - I can provide a bubble envelope to send the seeds.

NKU, in my experience growing the 4 species above, they have never hybridized. However, I have read of Asclepias syriaca and A. sullivanti hybridizing in the range that they overlap. They are very close in appearance (as far as I can tell in photos, don't think I've ever seen A. sullivanti growing around here).

KCHD, please send a newbie my way. Also, if you have seeds available of your beautiful red A. tuberosa in the picture above, I would love to get some. I have a dark orange plant which which is orange-red, but that photo looks much more red.

o

Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 13:12

Hi terenne, so nice to have you join us! I will steer a newbie your way as soon as I see one that might be a nice match to your growing zone.

NKUSigEp, I agree with terenne. Of the native Asclepias I have grown, I have never had any milkweeds hybridize.

ttfn,
Katie

o

I will adopt madcatter13. I just sent her an email. I would be happy to share my milkweed seeds. Sadly, this was the first year since I started butterfly gardening in 2005 that I didn't have any Monarchs lay eggs. Three stopped here last month (I'm assuming they were migrating) and were here for a few days. Of course, that's too late for them to be laying eggs here in PA. I was ready to raise as many as I could have this summer but didn't get the chance. One year I raised 520, but usually it's more like 200. It's a lot of work but so rewarding! I hope that lots of people take interest in helping the Monarchs because they really need it.
Cathy

o

Would love to be "adopted" by someone.

Thanks

Kay

o

caterwallin - sent you an email. Thanks!

o

Plantsforever, Consider yourself adopted. :) I just sent you an email through Gardenweb.
Cathy

o

Hi Caterwallin

Thanks so much for the "adoption". Sent you an email.

o

Hi everyone! Im interested in being adopted. Im in zone 7 in Greensboro, NC. Im not sure what the a,b is added onto the zone number. Adopt meee!! Lol

o

I received a generous package of seeds from my adoptor cghpnd this past week, even after the post office lost the envelope I had mailed her! Thank you so much! I have some of the seeds planted here in NM and am taking the others back to TX at the end of the month. I will mail you postage on Tue.
Thanks again, Chrystal! This is a great idea!

o

I kind of did things backwards on here. I contacted darlene87, zone 7, WA and offered her milkweed seeds. She accepted. I am mailing them this morning. So I officially "adopted" her and she accepted. Not all of my adoptees have been successful, so I am excited. I apologize if I did it wrong.
Heidi

o

Received seeds from socalgal! I appreciate your generosity very much Ruth. Can't wait to see butterflies in the new garden soon :) Thank you for doing this kchd :)

o

Okay, Darlene contacted me and I just emailed "her" - but if she is already adopted, I will be happy to adopt Mich81.

Email me Darlene, and let me know if Caterwallin has already adopted you, and Mich I can adopt you (too!)....I've got plenty of milkweed seeds.

o

Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 23:00

Looks like we are due for an update to this thread! Happy to see many of us are taking care of contacting each other and getting those newbies adopted!

caterwallin, xiangirl, and terrene - - thank you all very much for adopting newbies! I will update the Adopt a Milkweed Newbie list at the top of the thread.

michi81, welcome! We are glad to have you join us! I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted. And it looks like terrene will be taking you under her wing as a milkweed newbie. :)

sher305 and socalgardengal - - thank you both so much for stopping by to thank your adopter and to let us all know you got your seeds. It's wonderful to hear about gardeners who are excited to grow milkweeds in their gardens next year.

terenne & xiangirl, let me know who ends up adopting darlene87? Hahaha, it's awesome to see folks so excited to come together to plant milkweeds for the monarchs, not to mention all the other pollinators that benefit, too.

Did I miss anything on this update?

o

We have two acres (mostly bare) that I want to make into a habitat for birds and butterflies. I remember milkweed growing wild in Ohio, where I grew up. Now living near Atlanta, I never see it. If someone would be so kind as to adopt me, I would be so grateful.

o

I would love to be adopted and plant some milkweed seeds in my yard! I live in the DFW TX area (zone 8?) I saw 8 Monarchs on my frostweed last week but they were just passing through as I haven't seen them this week.

Thanks for your consideration

o

I think this is a great idea, and I would love to be adopted. I had a friend in Jonesborough, TN that raises Monarchs and we would go milkweed gathering to feed her "babies". I would love to be adopted by some caring soul out there! LOL

I am in Sanford, NC, Zone 7, I believe. Please contact me and see what we can work out.

Thanks and have a brilliant day!

o

I have plenty of freshly harvested asclepias incarnata and a. tuberosa. I'd be happy to share. If Holland, Barbie & Beth are still looking, I'll take all of you on. Sending emails.

o

Sent a message out yesterday to terenne with my address
Im so excited :)

o

Just got an update from Darlene who is still interested in seeds and a message from Michi81. I am happy to adopt both and will be replying to their emails soon.

So Caterwallin, you don't need to adopt Darlene, but it looks like there are more newbies coming on board.

o

I got my care package from docmom yesterday. She sent me 4 different types of milkweed, as well as seeds from several plants to help fill up my butterfly garden. Thanks so much, docmom, you are a great adopter. I can't wait to plant these!

o

I would be interested in Asclepias syriaca, common milkweed and Asclepias tuberosa, butterfly weed or any milkweeds that grow well in my area, zone 6, Pennsylvania if someone would like to adopt me. Thanks.

o

I received the seeds today from xiangirl. With a good discription on how to do them along with a photo. So helpful, as I usually have to go online for instructions. I plan to send her a few things on her want list, so will email her.
This was a great idea.
Darlene

o

I mailed seeds to Kathunder on Tuesday, so hopefully they have arrived.

Martha

o

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:14

Wow, look at all the new Milkweed Newbies joining in!
Welcome, beth4652, abarbie4me, MrsHolland, and Fernette. I added all of you to the adoption list.

elvis, please pick a newbie(s) (and post here, so we are know who you are adopting) and try to get in touch with them. Thanks for offering to adopt!

terenne, I have you down for adopting both michi81 and darlene87.

darlene87, thanks for letting us know that you received milkweed seeds from xiangirl.

kathunder, thanks for letting us know that you received milkweed seeds from docmom.

This thread continues to be a huge success, thanks to all of you who are participating. Just think about all the new milkweed plants we will all be growing next year :)

o

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 19:47

I received stamps in the mail today from lenahall. Lena, I will be putting your seeds in the mail tomorrow. Please let us know when they arrive. Hope you enjoy them!

o

Kathunder has emailed me that she has received her seeds.

Martha

o

I still have a bunch of common milkweed seeds if anyone wants to do a SASE or trade for fruits and veggies.

o

Hi Folks,
Well it's official the MILKWEED FORUM is up and running as of 4 PM today (10/21/13). It can be viewed at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/milkweed/ . Please pass this along to all your friends and let's all start doing everything "Milkweed" on this site. Thanks to all of you who sent in requests to Gardenweb and for your patience while this site was constructed. It's a brand new look for Gardenweb and our forum is the first to have it. Enjoy!!
Regards,
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

o

Madcatter13 let me know that she received the milkweed seeds from me. I'm still waiting to receive an envelope from plantsforever.

o

Hi there,

Looking to plant some milkweed when spring comes. I am in zone 5B in Howell, Michigan.

o

i received my seeds from KCHD :) thanks so much!!! i have my seed bed ready with some other natives plants from the georgia native plant society... i had hoped for more room for milkweed, but it's a start :) will post pics soon!!

o

Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 21:38

And I'm back!

Thanks for the updates, caterwallin and lenahall! I've updated adoption status' to "complete" in the adoption list.

Welcome, swimbikerun! I've added you to the list of newbies to be adopted.

andbowen and Fernette - - I'd like to adopt each of you. I will send you each an email.

o

I have a question about planting non-native milkweed. The native milkweed that's been growing wild in my backyard for 35 years, I thought was a weed, and have always dutifully picked off the leaves :( but never dug out the roots. It had a good root system and survived my weeding for 3 decades. About 2 years ago, by (my) mistake, the plant seeded and a new plant grew about 20 feet away. I let it grow, and was shocked one day to walk past this tiny plant and see it sporting 2 stunning huge caterpillars that were so odd but remarkable that I ran into the house to look up what I had--and it's been 'Monarch-love' ever since.

This native milkweed Is Asclepias Fascicularis, native Californian milkweed, a narrow leaved 3 foot tall plant w/ white flower, and is native from So.East WA, and adjacent Idaho, throughout Oregon and California, down to Baja Calif,and into parts of Nevada. It's drought tolerant, can take coastal fog and clay soil. Maybe this should be posted in the new milkweed group?
Anyway, this milkweed has extremely low toxicity compared to other milkweed, barely any. It's not beautiful, looks like a weed, and I'm sure that it would never be found at a regular nursery. The Monarchs in my area zone 10, (So.Cal) love it. They DON'T seem interested in non native milkweed I have tried a few times. How do you old-timer Monarch raisers feel about planting non-native milkweed in your garden? I have read several times that the Monarchs of an area are adapted to the native milkweed and it's toxicity level, and don't do well with non native milkweed with a higher toxicity. Has this been your experience, Monarch raisers in the western states I mentioned?
I let it grow wild in my large backyard this year and have lots of seed for anyone in these states.I have a disability and could only commit to one person at a time, but would be glad to send some out this fall and winter until I run out. I have a lot, and some from last year- is last year's seed still good? It's been kept dry indoors?

I will try to post a link with pics and good info, if you care to read the article on toxicity and the fly pathway of western Monarchs, please let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it. This milkweed is prone to oleander aphids. I crush the fat yellow aphids on sight, and probably accidentally kill some M. eggs or young larvae as a result. Ladybugs and even more so, their larvae eat not just aphids, but eat Monarch eggs and likely the newly hatched Monarch larvae which are VERY tiny.

Sorry if the host wants to move this posting to somewhere else. Maybe this should be discussed elsewhere, but I just had to ask when I saw that tropical milkweed was being grown in San Diego--do you get the local Monarchs thriving on it? It has a much higher toxicity that the locals would be used to, so it says in articles I've read? Just needed to know, thanks!
(I'm not affiliated with the nursery whatsoever, it just has good info to any western newbies-I am pretty much one too) I have to say that my plants NEVER look close to as nice as those in those photos. I'll post a picture of my milkweed with a cat on it taken a month or so ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calif. Native Milkweed (Nursery)--good pics and info

o

First emergee this season on Cal. native milkweed, Asclepias Fascicularis. The California flyway runs from So East Wa, to Baja Ca.

o

Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 15:21

Hi Monarch-Ma-so-cal,
I live near the coast in San Diego. The caterpillars seem to do fine on A. curassavica (tropical). Local nurseries sell it, the San Diego zoo has a lot of it, the butterfly garden in Balboa park has it. But I didn't know there was another milkweed that would grow as a perennial here. I would love to have some seeds of A. fascicularis. I have a perfect place in my low water garden. I'll send you an email.
Ruth

o

Hi socalgal, I will be glad to send you some A. fascicularis seed, (Cal.native). I would like to trade you for some tropical milkweed, and give it another try. The narrow leaves make it very hard to raise the eggs indoors I'm finding. The eggs hatch, and the tiny little guys wander anywhere but onto those narrow leaves! The A. fascicularis seed would do well being scattered around undeveloped areas that you see when hiking, or areas in the city or town that are allowed to be unkempt.
I'm new here and still learning the site. Ruth, but I'll figure out the email system to answer your email.

o

Hi swimbikerun!
If you still need to be adopted let me know! I have milkweed seeds.
Heidi

o

petedist sent me an email saying he got his milkweed seed :)

o

Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 18:33

Thanks for the update, BeesNeeds. I sent seeds off to Fernette on Saturday, so she should be getting those soon. Haven't heard from andbowen, tho.

o

Hi,
Would love to be included in the Newbie listing. Thanks!

o

Hi KCHD, I am in touch with Mich and Darlene, SASBEs are pending.

Wilflowerman, great to see the milkweed forum is up and running, I will be checking it regularly no doubt. The new format seems okay.

Monarch-ma, nice pics on the A. fascicularis. I looked at some images, and they have pretty flowers. I have grown A. curassavica for 5 years, and the Monarchs love it. Could not tell you for sure if using a non-native species is safe for the Monarchs, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at least in a local context. I also grow A. incarnata, A. syriaca, A. tuberosa, and other less common species, which are usually used by Monarch females (A. verticillata not used, leaves too skinny I think).

There is a natural variation in cardio-glycoside content across species and individuals. A. curassavica has naturally high levels, which I've read could convey some resistance to predators and OE.

This post was edited by terrene on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 23:07

o

Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:55

Welcome, Lorabell. Happy to have you join us! I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted :)

Thanks for the update, terenne. And for all the nice info on milkweed cadio-glycoside content.

o

Monarch-Ma -
I would love some of your native milkweed seeds. I have had lots of luck with the A. curassavica . I even have the all yellow kind. I let it reseed itself where it may in my garden. I have tons of seed this year as I started a dedicated "butterfly garden" this year. I will email my address if you would like to trade seeds.

o

kchd, You are the best. I received an over abundance of seeds from you. Surely looking forward to, hopefully, seeing some monarchs later on. Thanks, so very much.

o

If anyone where interested in adopting us for milkweed seeds, that'd be awesome! We are in TN zone 6. Thanks!!

o

Domehome, I'll be happy to send you some A. fascicularis, Calif native milkweed seeds. I'll email you. Sorry I got swamped with work and wasn't able to reply sooner.

o

This milkweed (cal. native--A. fascicularis) was only four months old and was the first milkweed plant in my yard-it seeded from 40 year old rootstock in my yard that I'd always 'weeded'. But even being a small plant, maybe 12" wide by 12" high, it had 2 large cats on it! I didn't know what they were but loved them on sight! Taken October 2011. The Monarchs will come to such a small plant, it amazes me. On windy days, I throw the seeds up in the air and hope they find homes.

I read that Monarchs can smell milkweed from 20 miles away
(through their antennae).

o

Milkweed self-seeded 2 years later.

o

i would like to be adopted

o

Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 12:59

Welcome, Duchessof8939 and yeli0507. I have added you both to the list of Milkweed newbies waiting to be adopted.

Fernette, you are most welcome for the seeds! Here's to you have an outstanding butterfly garden for many years.

Monarch-Ma-so.cal, thanks so much for posting those great photos of your milkweed!

Lorabell and yeli0507, please post to the thread what state you are in. You are more likely to be adopted if people know what state you live in & can match appropriate milkweed species for your climate.

andbowen, I have emailed you and posted on this thread that I am interested in adopting you. Please let me know if you are still interested. If I don't hear from you in a week, I'm going to move on to another newbie and assume you are no longer interested in being adopted.

Winter sowing season is starting, which is a perfect way to naturally provide cold, moist stratification for your milkweed seeds. Let Mother Nature do the work for you :)

o

Sorry,
I'm in zone 8 North Carolina.
Thanks

o

Wonky, zone 7, received the milkweed seeds I sent last week.

Sandy

o

I received an email from plantsforever saying that the milkweed seeds got there, so please mark that trade complete. Thanks.
Cathy

o

Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 20:54

Thanks for the updates, ladies! I updated the newbie list :)

Katie

o
Need to be ...Adopted...Milkweed newbie

I would be interested in growing some milkweed! I'm open to grow what someone feels could handle the hot 90-100 degree summers of dry heat here in the valley. Thank you in advance.

Sandy
Sacramento, CA

o

I'd like to have some of the orange butterfly milkweed seed please.

o

I still have plenty of common milkweed (A. syriaca) seeds available to anyone that sends a SASE.

o

I'd like to be adopted as a milkweed newbie. My mom would like to start a butterfly garden for Monarchs next summer and I told her I would help her get seeds started. Also, any tips on growing milkweed or any other info on other plants to include for happy monarchs is greatly appreciated. : ) We live in zone 5a.

o

I sent clipclop an email.

o

Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 9:44

Welcome, sandy_village, clipclop, and em247! I will be adding you to the list of newbies at the top of this thread.

Lucky you, clipclop! dem_pa has already volunteered to adopt you and should be in touch. Thank you, dem_pa!!

NKUSigEp, if you don't mind, would you please initiate contact with newbies you would like to adopt and let me know who they are so I can mark them down as adopted by you? That way you can send them your mailing address privately.

I've already started my winter sowing! How many have also done so?

Katie

o

Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 9:55

em247, what state are you in? You are more likely to get adopted if you tell us your state. Zone 5a in Michigan is a much different climate than zone 5a in Idaho. Knowing your state helps people choose appropriate species to send to you.

clipclop, I am assuming you are in Georgia based on your favorite forum on your profile page. Please let me know if this is correct.

I'm going to send one more email to andbowen. If I get no response, I will remove them from the list and adopt the next newbie.

o

Sorry, forgot that part. I'm in Iowa. : )

o

Domehome, your seeds are finally in the mail today! Thank you for your patience, and for sending those stem tops of Asclepias physocarpa from your garden with your envelope! My milkweed leaves are so small and full of black mildew--it's been so difficult feeding so many cats--I was in way over my head-- the big stem tops you sent were a lifesaver!! One top kept 2-3 large instars happy for several days.Thank you!!!

o

HI, I love Butterflies and would love to add these to my garden. Does anyone want to adopt a newbie from TN in zone 6?

Thanks so much!

This post was edited by teisa on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 8:53

o

I have offered to adopt Em247 in Iowa. I sent her an email and I'm already packaging up seeds for her. I am particularly interested in helping out in Iowa, since my inlaws live there and it is in a critical region of the US where milkweed is disappearing. Thanks.

Martha

o

Hi! I would love to try some milkweed as well. I'd love to attract more bees and butterflies to my home. I'm in SE FL, zone 10.

Thanks!!

o

Anybody interested in adopting a milkweed newbie in UT, zone 6/7?

o

Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:44

Welcome, teisa, Shannon.S, and blossombrigade. I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted.

docmom, thanks so much for adopting another newbie!

o

Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:46

Well, this thread is now full. Please join us on Part 3 on the seed exchange forum.

I will be transferring the current list of newbies over to that thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 3

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here