Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marbles_n_the_garden

have: have: cool stuff! edible perennials, etc.

OK, I think these are cool anyway! :)
I have to trade, collected in the last few weeks, the following:

Maine Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium)
Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea)
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon
Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis)
Rhubarb
Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
Bayberry (Myrica cerifera)
Rosa rugosa (both pink and white)

I am waiting for a couple of things to ripen, but will have:
Kousa Dogwood (Kornus kousa)
Wintergreen or Teaberry, or Checkerberry (Gaultheria procumbens)

Please let me know if you'd like to trade. Please see my trade page. http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/marbles_n_the_garden

I am really hoping to get some Witch Hazel, Cloudberry (bakeapple), or Ginko seeds. Please see my list for other wants.

Thank you!
Robin

Comments (19)

• GMOFREEGUY
    10 years ago

You have so many cool things!! Would you do a SASE? Im a total beginner gardener and I dont have any seeds to harvest yet myself

• leila hamaya
    10 years ago

hey, that is some cool stuff, i agree =)

i think we have similar interests in plants and especially berries...

i would be interested in the wild blueberry, possibly others.

i have wild strawberry "woodland" strawberry, i also have lots of thimbleberies. but i havent saved seeds from these, maybe next year. i do however have enough (a huge patch of them!) to send some rooted cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• Dani74
    10 years ago

I would love to trade for some elderberry and lingonberry seeds! I have a list if you want to see if there is something you like let me know! thanks!

• DraigAthar
    10 years ago

Hi there!

I'm interested in any/all of your berries, they sound awesome! Please have a look at my trade list to see if there's anything there you'd like?

Thanks!

• marbles_n_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple of respondents inquired if what I had listed here was seeds or small plants. They are SEEDS. I have not had much trouble getting them to sprout although they are not as straightforward as veggie seeds. They require a cold period, but I plant them outside in a container when things have frozen outside. For techniques on Winter Sowing please refer to Wintersown.org

I have completed one trade on this and I am setting up a few more. Anyone else interested?
    Robin

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

I had traded with Robin early this year and received some of the listed berries. They came as berries (not dry) and in a generous amount. Thanks so much Robin! I had a chance to grow only lingonberries (had too many plants on my hand and we were going to move). They germinated very nicely but require patience. It takes time to grow such plants from seed. It is better to start them in a small pot. Right now the biggest one is about a half an inch, they are very tiny.
    Robin, I sent you Salal and Oregon Grape. Did you have any luck with them? Sorry for the small amount of Oregon Grape seeds, they were out of season.
    All the best.

• adriana148
    10 years ago

Hello Robin,

I am interested in any of your berries. Let me know if there is anything from my list for possible trade? I read over your list and i dont think i have anything that fits your wants but i was hoping you may be open to trade?

Adriana

• GMOFREEGUY
    10 years ago

Im very interested in some of these like the blueberries and a few of the others. Could I send you a SASE for some?

• marbles_n_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GMOFREEGUY, I have sent you an e-mail.

I completed a trade with

I have mailed trades to the following: CF at 92507, NC at 48316, AR at 03781.

LH, your items will go out Monday--since there are plants in it.

PLEASE KNOW: I am head-injured, and I have difficulty with organization & forgetting, so I am posting this to keep myself and the other traders who expressed an interest organized. If you do not see your initials and zip code here, please e-mail me. I have to go through e-mails rather than conduct the whole thing through postings. it is the only way I can keep it straight.

OK, so if we have not had contact through e-mail...
    *Write to Robin_282@yahoo.com

*Put SEED TRADE as the subject

*Please, please tell me your GW screen name in the e-mail, people have GW names, different names for e-mail, and then their real names! :)

*Include your mailing address right away

That way I can make out the bubble mailer as we negotiate, and drop the seeds in as you decide what you'd like.

I have had good experiences trading, it may take a number of days to finalize, but at this time off year, most are not planting. These seeds listed above are for WInterSowing.

Please let me know if I have covered all of you.
    Thanks so much!
    Robin

• Tony Kopari Z4b So MN
    7 years ago

I know this is a real old post, but do you happen to have these plants growing still, and would you be willing to trade them this year?

Maine Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium)
    Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea)
    Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon
    Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
    Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis)

Check out my lists.

Thanks!

Tony

• sarahawil
    7 years ago

Hi Tony, I don't know if the original poster is still checking the forums, but if you're interested in buying seeds, Maine's Wild Seed Project would be a good source. http://wildseedproject.net/

• Tony Kopari Z4b So MN
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Gillian - I don't see any seeds on your list that I need. What seeds that I have are you interested in?

• Gillian
    7 years ago

Dragon fruit

• Angel M
    7 years ago

I'm interested in the blueberry and cranberry but I'm completely new to all of this. I'm in FL...would they grow here? And how do I get them?

• leila hamaya
    7 years ago

hey all -

i've come to sometimes talk with robin marble, the OP of this thread, i dont think she hangs out here anymore, or checks this thread.

but i know she started a website forum of her own at -->

http://need4seed.freeforums.net/

she is the administrator of that forum, and checks there often. you have to sign up for an account but it's very easy.

if anyone wants to contact her that is a better bet.

she is here --> http://need4seed.freeforums.net/user/1

by the way to anyone else who may be interested, or want to be involved, she is always looking for donations of seed that she disburses through that site, and in general we could use some more members...

• leila hamaya
    7 years ago

@ Angel M -- yeah it will be more difficult to grow blueberry and cranberry where you are at. you will need to get types that can handle heat and dont need chill hours. there are some *southern* varieties of blueberries, and some that are native to the southern states of america, those are probably the only ones that will work for you.

talk to a local nursery person, if they are selling something locally they already got the right kinds...or if you ever see someone growing a blueberry type in your state, see if you can get cuttings or rooted divisions...or else seek out *southern highbush* or southern types...those may work for you if you give them lots of water and the right kind of acidic (peat moss and /or conifers, pine mulch, coffee grounds etc) soil...

cranberry, i am unsure. there may be a member of the cranberry family that would do ok, but it is a plant family that generally grows in much colder places...

google says -->

http://manatee.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/master-gardener/gardening-manatee-style/b/blueberry-varieties-for-florida.pdf

• Angel M
    7 years ago

Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time just trying to figure out this site. Don't wanna join two in the same day. Yikes

• garybeaumont_gw
    7 years ago

Angel, There are two types of blueberries that grow in the south, Southern Highbush and Rabbiteye. There are different varieties of each and if you are growing one type you would need 2 or 3 varieties in each type for cross pollination. (2 or 3 varieties of Southern Highbush or Rabbiteye Blueberry). They need well drained acidic soil (5.5 to 4.5). Rabbiteye tends to be easier to grow than Southern Highbush. If you have sandy or sandy loam soil that is acidic, you can grow them in the ground.

If not you have to grow them in containers and use a complete fertilizer for acidic plants. If you water has a high pH you may also have to adjust the water to be acidic by adding some type of acid.

We have blueberry farms here in our sandier soil. Many of the varieties were developed in Florida and it will depend on your soil if you can grow them in ground. If the soil has limestone in it you probably will not be able to grow in ground. I grow them in container due to lack of drainage. They do not like wet saturated soils.

I think cranberries are a northern plant. Probably cannot take the hot sun.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks