Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

WANTED: Milkweed that doesn't take over the world

queen_gardener
9 years ago

I have a rain garden, and am planting more natives in the yard, trying to help the pollinators, and it's my understanding that milkweed tries to take over the world once you start it. Is there a milkweed that is less aggressive? I've got a lot of butterflies covered for host plants and flowers, but I keep thinking I need to add milkweed for the monarchs. I've heard the sap is a skin irritant, and if it spreads everywhere, I don't think I want to try to combat it. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Also looking for lots of natives and other things, check out my list. I have calla lily seedlings I'm trying to trade off ASAP.

Comments (7)

• kchd
    9 years ago

You should try these species:
    A. tuberosa
    A. incarnata
    A. speciosa

All of them are well behaved. A. syriaca is the one you have read about that can form large colonies.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So do all milkweeds spread seeds by fluffy flying seeds like a dandelion?

• kchd
    9 years ago

Yes, that fluff is called a "coma." Common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) can also spread via rhizomes, which is why it can be considered aggressive.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry for the ignorance and lots of questions, but I'm new and learning! I wish I could do the Master Gardener thing this year or even next . . . I think most people wait until they retire, though!
    So, these other milkweeds spread flying seeds, right? So I might find them popping up all over the yard? I am just a little concerned about pulling them, if the sap is a skin irritant. But I shouldn't worry about it, I suppose, as I've been pulling poison ivy by hand, usually by accident, all summer. I'd be weeding, and suddenly look in horror at what I'd pulled, run inside and wash with ultra concentrated dish washing soap (to remove oil) for five minutes, then repeat. Yeaaaahhh . . . . Sometimes I'd brush against it, too, and I didn't get a rash this year - actually, I've never had it. I'm lucky . . .
    But with the milkweed, i am definitely looking for a "well-behaved" plant that will benefit the monarchs.
    Thanks so much!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Yes, all of those milkweed species release wind-dispersed seeds which go flying through the air. I have all of them in my flowerbeds and I have never had them popping up in my yard. If you are really worried about it, just cut off the pods when they form and let them drop.

I am highly allergic to poison ivy, but I have had no problems with skin irritation from any of my milkweed. I do suggest you wash your hands after handling them just to be safe. My squash plants bother me more than my milkweeds!

Let me know if you would like a handful of A. incarnata and/or A. tuberosa seeds.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think I would like some of both! :-) I just looked them both up, and the swamp milkweed would be great in my rain garden. I didn't know A. tuberosa was "Butterfly Weed" until I looked it up just now, and I was wanting that really bad earlier this summer, so that I could get it established before fall . . . !
    Thank you!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Both of these species need cold stratification for good germination, so you should plan on winter sowing them. Winter sowing is practically fool proof. I like to use 1-gal plastic milk jugs for winter sowing, but many plastic containers will work.

Send me an email and we can exchange addresses.

Katie

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner