Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

HAVE: Hairy Balls (Gomphocarpus physocarpus)

karyn1
16 years ago

I just collected some Hairy Balls seeds and am looking for some of the other less common asclepias varieties. These are great host plants for monarch butterflies.

Karyn

{{gwi:90391}}

{{gwi:90392}}

Comments (46)

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

The monarch catapilliars ate my entire plant.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had about 20 in pots that I wintered over and planted in the yard this season. I only have 3 left after the monarchs and tussock cats were finished.
    Karyn

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Karyn,

I can send you some fresh seeds from pink asclepias, from plants that I winter sowed three years ago. I think I got it in trade then, and if memory serves me it was labeled 'Cinderella.' I'd love to trade it for your 'Hairy Balls.'

Send me an email with your address if you're interested.

Alison

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alison you have mail.
    Karyn

• bibee
    16 years ago

I have the Hairy Balls plant. Mine are over 4 ft tall. The balls on it are really small. And falling off. Are they gonna get bigger than that. I seen your pic but mine don't look that big.

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Sounds like your fruit is falling off before it matures, bibee. Does it get enough light, water? Do you have plenty of pollinators around? Anything devouring it? Caterpillars?

Karyn I was able to salvage my physocarpus seeds before the cats got them all, but they decimated my fruticosa. Do you happen to have Gomphocarpus fruticosa aka Asclepias fruticosa seeds for trade? If so I will try to come up with something you want.
    I usually winter over one physocarpus and start new plants from cuttings in February. If I can't find fruticosa seeds, I think I will try cuttings right now and winter those over. It is regrowing nicely, but there are new cats on it even as new leaves emerge.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jennifer I sent you an email.
    Karyn

• mrs_seeders_husband
    16 years ago

Karyn, do you still have any left? I would like to have some if there is anything at all on my list that might interest you :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

M S H I sent you an email.
    Karyn

• mellikat
    16 years ago

did anyone else giggle with immaturity from the title of this post? I feel like I am twelve and a little ashamed.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the things I like about this plant is the name. lol I could have just as easily used one of it's other names but I wanted to post Hairy Balls! If nothing else it will certainly get your attention.
    Karyn

• charl-ann
    16 years ago

I know it got my attention! I have never heard of this plant. Wonder if it grows in zone 4?

• hairymooseknuckles
    16 years ago

I started to reply that I had Hairy Moose Knuckles, but I was able to refrain for a little bit. LOL!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HMK what's behind your username? It's got to be good. lol Charl-ann it's not a cold hardy plant and needs to be wintered over inside or grown as an annual in the colder zones. I started mine early from seed last year but didn't get blooms so I wintered them over inside and planted them in the yard this spring. They bloomed very well for me this season though I lost a number of plants to monarch and tussock caterpillars.
    Karyn

• mellikat
    16 years ago

Hairy moose knuckles. Too funny. I'm glad I am not the only immature one in here. Thanks Karyn for the funny post. It sure looks like something fun to grow.

Mel

• bibee
    16 years ago

Karyn

Sounds like your fruit is falling off before it matures, bibee. Does it get enough light, water? Do you have plenty of pollinators around? Anything devouring it? Caterpillars?

Yes it gets lots light & water. It's so hot here I have to water every day. Nothing eating it. Will the plant come back next year or will I have to replant.

• botanicalboi
    16 years ago

I got a chuckle out of this one as well...I needed that smile ;-P

~Michael

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bibee what are you talking about? I'm not having any problems with the pods reaching maturity. I did have some very hungry tussock moth and monarch cats eat a number of my plants. It's a perennial but is not cold hardy. If you get freezing temps it needs to be wintered over inside.
    Karyn

• jwink246
    16 years ago

Karen,
    I ws just reprimanded by Garden Web for soliciting you for free seeds. I apologize that I asked for seeds without being able to offer anything in return as I am a newbie. You were VERY generous and the extra seeds you sent me are incredible and will surely make my butterfly garden the place to be for many butterflies. If I offended you in any way, I am truly sorry. (Although based on our communications, I don't think I did. I have also noticed that my earlier message has been removed from this thread.)

Again, I am sorry to have broken any rules and if I offended you or any one else.

Jennifer

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jennifer no offense taken. I'm glad you like the extras and good luck with your butterfly garden.
    Karyn

• lindamarie
    16 years ago

I saw these Hairy Balls On Martha Stewart last week. Too funny, even on TV. Martha's Hairy Balls were HUGE! 8-]

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Martha's aren't the only ones. I have big hairy balls too! lol The milkweed kind ; ) Actually they do get pretty big and don't split even when the seeds are ripe. They are about the size of a baseball.
    Karyn

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

I would love some seeds. I have asclepias currasavica or look at my list for other seeds.

Denise

• icb_47933
    16 years ago

Karyn, I would dearly love some of your seeds, but woe is me,:>( LOL all I have is common milkweed. BUT....... I have really enjoyed reading the responses to your thread. Thanks for the chuckles. As the commercial says...priceless.
    Ida

• bibee
    16 years ago

Someone emailed me awhile back. Thanks for the info.
    I found 3 balls on mt plant. 1 is the size of a golf ball and the others are dime size. How will I know when it's ready to pick.
    Thanks
    Angela

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Angela I think you sent me an email about this a few days ago. Mine are about the size of a baseball when ripe. The pod color lightens and they get very thin, almost transparent. Mine haven't split like the other milkweeds when they are ripe but they might if I leave them on long enough.
    Karyn

• bibee
    16 years ago

Thanks Karyn

• threas
    16 years ago

I can finally say "I HAVE HAIRY BALLS TOO" thanks to you Karyn! LOL

Theresa

• grandmascuttings
    16 years ago

this is funny, thanks. nothing to trade but i will be buying some. never heard of them before. it is a definate must to have some hairy balls.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Grandmascuttings I sent you an email through GW.
    Karyn

• meadowlarkacres
    16 years ago

Karyn:

I would love some 'hairy ball' seeds if you still have any. I just saw them for the first time on Wednesday - I was in Buffalo NY and their botanical garden entryway is loaded with them. Looked like outer space.

I have lots of dolichos lab-lab or mixed ornamental capsicum hot pepper seeds to trade if you're interested (Prairie Fire, Pretty in Purple, Lemon Drop, Black Pearl, Chili-Chili, Treasure, etc.).

Cheers, Suzanne

• bibee
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn

I hate to keep posting but my pods on my plant are turning redish brown on top of the pods. Is that normal. I have pictures of them in my photobucket if you want to see them. I post it or send it to you. Thanks

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine are also getting a reddish color on top. I guess it's from the cooler temps. I'd leave them on the plant as long as possible and bring them in before a frost. Allow them to dry for about a week before you split them open. My HB pods don't split on their own, even when the seeds are ripe. I wish I would have kept some in pots this year because they are all still covered in blooms and look so pretty. I think we might get our first frost late Sunday : (
    Karyn

• bibee
    16 years ago

Mine is full of pods they are small but 2 more that is nice size. We might not get frost until Dec or Jan. Thanks

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Karyn,this thread is so funny! I love it! I dont have Hairy Balls but I have Longan...lol...sorry couldnt resist!~Angie

• jezebelle2003
    16 years ago

I have to admit that the name of the post made me click on it :) I would love to trade for some of the hairy balls seeds- I want more butterflies! I still have white swan echinacea, sundown ecinacea, limelight four o clocks, mixed cleome, mixed nicotania.. and probably a few others that I am forgetting.. if any of this interests you please let me know!

hugs- Jami

• linda_centralokzn6
    16 years ago

Hi Karen,

Love this thread!!!
    This is my 1st year to grow them. Mine are about baseball size, and starting to turn brown on top, but don't appear to be drying. How do you know when they are ready to harvest? How do you tell that the seeds are mature?

I may have to try to overwinter 1 in the garage if it doesn't get too cold.

Thanks!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My pods don't split when ripe and it's just kind of trial and error. The seeds are dark brown when ripe. I have so many "balls" that it isn't a big deal when I pick an unripe pod. I just pick the biggest ones that are usually the lowest on the plant. I do let the pods dry inside for a couple days before I split them. We've had two nights of frost but it hasn't damaged the plants at all so far.
    Karyn

• linda_centralokzn6
    16 years ago

Thanks, Karyn. I'll pick some tomorrow, and let them dry.

• bibee
    16 years ago

When u pick the pods the seeds inside are they green or brown. I picked one pod the biggest one let it dry for a few day in side and opened it up. But the seeds inside where green. This is my first time growning them.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ripe seeds are brown. I doubt that the green ones will be viable. My plants are still blooming and we've had a couple light frosts and consistantly cool nighttime temps. I've already picked several pods but am leaving the rest on the plant and will pick them as necessary. One pod did split but I think that had something to do with a hungry critter. The remainder of the pods, ripe ones included are still intact. If the seeds are ripe you can see a dark area inside the pod if the sun's really bright.
    Karyn

PS: If you are unable to collect any ripe seeds I have plenty.

• bibee
    16 years ago

Thanks for the offer I might have to take you up on that. We are gonna be getting some frost this week but know how much yet. And some of our nights have been in the high 30's. I am gonna wait a few more weeks and see what they look like then.

• meadowlarkacres
    16 years ago

Anyone willing to trade some hairy ball seeds? I have loads of dolichos lab-lab, mixed ornamental hot pepper and basil seeds to share. Many thanks, Suzanne

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suzanne there's no way to send you an email.
    Karyn

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Karyn,
    If you still have any of these, please check my list to see if there's anything you're interested in. I checked your list to see if we could trade multiple things but noticed there was nothing listed. If you do have anything else that you want to trade and that I might be interested in, let me know.
    Brandon

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brandon,
    I sent you an email through GW.
    Karyn

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction