Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
american_gardener

WANTED: Another Newbie looking for trades

american_gardener
16 years ago

Hi all...

I just joined today and i would love to trade with anyone.

I am mostly interested in vegetables. I grow a 3 acre garden every year for fresh market sales and i am always looking for new varieties. And it wouldn't hurt to have a few flowers around the yard either.

Right now i don't have much in the way of fresh seeds.. just a few tomato and pepper varieties that i am harvesting and cleaning now. I do have a ton of leftover 2007 seeds of most of my other veggies that i grew this year, which should still be good, but as far as my own seed I'm only saving tomato, pepper and cukes.

I put a short list of just tomatoes on the exchange for now and i will get around to listing the peppers and cukes as soon as they become ready. I'm sure i'll be doing alot of updating in the next couple weeks.

If anyone is interested in anything i have to offer or would do a trade for SASE, or even if you'd just like to say hi.. i would love to hear from you.

I would welcome any offers

Dave

Comments (19)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Garden Web.

I thought you might like to know there is no email link on your member page, thus no way to email you.

To set up your email, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on <?B>Member Pages
    Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences
    You will then probably be asked to login in again.
    Once there, set the drop down box to Show my email address to MEMBERS
    And then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

That will place a link on your member page, and will also show your email address to anyone you email about a trade.

While there you may also want to fill in your garden zone and state abbreviation. Both things go in the one garden zone box provided on the form.

You certainly have a nice list of tomatoes for trade!

Happy gardening and trading.

Sue...another tomatoholic

• jackier123
    16 years ago

Hi, I would be interested in some of your larger red tomatoes. Take a look at my list and see if I have anything you want.

• woodsidetrader
    16 years ago

take a look at my list

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade List

• skohler
    16 years ago

well Be happy to send you my list as soon as your email is open .
    susie

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Sue...
    Hope i did that right.
    Everyone i will go look at your seed lists tonite, right now we are between rain storms here and i really do need to run back to the garden before it gets dark.
    Thank you all for responding.
    Dave

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

You're welcome Dave, but I suggest you maybe just show your email addy to 'Members'. Right now you have it set to show email to ALL, or everyone.

Only allowing members to see it lessens the likelihood of it being harvested for Spamming.

Ar any rate, I'm glad members can now reach you.

Sue

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll be looking forward to your list susie. Sue thanks again.. guess i wasn't thinking when i checked the boxes.

Woodside i sent you an email.. let me know

And Jackier would you like me to make some suggestions? Right off hand I think my favorite large tomato this year was Imp. Colassal Crimson.. it's pinkish red, but pretty large, great tasting and a heavy yielder.
    I don't have my garden notes here right now, but I believe that plant grows about 8 ft tall or taller and it's an indeterminate, it's mid season and still has about a dozen fruits on the one plant i am using for seed.

I'm only keeping records of about 300 tomato plants that i have in the trials this year. I'm sure they all would have been more productive and had larger fruits if it weren't for the severe drought we had here. For a four month period from May till the last week of Sept. we only had 1/2 inch of rain here. And since my irrigation ditches all dryed up the entire garden suffered quite a bit. Therefore my records wouldn't be so accurate this year.

That being said, a few other standouts that i can think of off the top of my head were: Indian River, Giant Italian, Calapata, Athens, Crven, and Jabucar.

These were all at or above 10 oz, but then again even my old standards like Brandywine, Delicious, and Mortgage Lifter were much smaller this year than usual. I think even the largest of my large tomatoes was less than a pound.

If you want i can get my records out tommorrow and get you a list of the largest ones. Just let me know

And thanks again everyone for your replys...

Dave

• tessa74
    16 years ago

Hi! i have tons of veggies. i'd love a couple of your toms. lmk if interested. thanks! jenn

• skohler
    16 years ago

Dave when & if you find anything on my trade list
    let me know .
    susie

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenn.. Had a look at your list.. there's plenty there i would love to have. Mostly interested in:
    Tomato - vivaitalia (")
    - Giant Belgium pink (")
    - Black from Tula (")
    - Carnival (")
    - Principe Borghese (")
    - Pineapple gold (")
    - German Johnson (")
    - glamour
    - Toma verde tomatillo
    Cucumber
    - Bush crop
    - Spacemaster 80

But i'm sure there are others, I just took a quick look at it today.
    Why don't you go thru my list such as it is and let me know if you find some things you like. I hope you don't mind taking this a little slow.. i am still working on about 7 other trades right now and i am kinda strapped for time & stamps till i can order more. But i am very interested in trading with you. Also i will be able to update my have list as time permits so you'll have more to choose from.

Susie.. ditto.. looked at your list too!.. those Irises sure look so beautifull. You must be very proud of your gardens. As far as your flower seeds i would be glad to let you recommend something that a novice could grow. I'm more of a farmer than a flower grower, but i would love to give them a try.

Again if you guys can give me till about tuesday to work on any new trades i should be able to get everything for these earlier ones taken care of by then.

I'll try to add things to my trade list this weekend.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome..

Dave

• moonfairy17
    16 years ago

i have rose of sharon white and purple mixed and id love to trade for some veggies
    plmk,
    thanks moonfairy

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

MoonFairy... I would be glad to accept some of the white ones in trade. What would you like from my list?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list (work in progress)

• shays
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I am always interested in tomatoes & peppers!! Please take a look at my trade list, and let me know if there is anything there you are interested in.
    Best Regards,
    Sandy Hays

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy Hays Trade List for Winter 2007

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sandy...

Yep there's plenty on your list i would love to trade for.
    For example:
    German Johnson
    Black Brandywine
    Akers W. VA
    Hillbilly
    Pearson

From your saved seeds those would make a nice addition to my gardens. I'd also be interested in some of the other seeds you have.

You mentioned Spaghetti Squash.. i have about 1/2 lb of seeds leftover from my 2007 seed orders. I beleive these were ordered from Buntons. Unfortunately none of my crops did very well this year due to a severe drought so i won't have any fresh seeds that i could harvest. I did have one squash that did make it this year. It looks exactly like a spaghetti squash, was very early to set fruit and grew vines of about 20-25 ft. It was very productive but i don't know what they were. They were supposed to be a yellow summer squash that i received in a trade from a guy in poland last year, but they look nothing like the picture that was on the packet. They do work great as a summer squash though.. that's the way i used em. Just gotta peel off the hard skins.

Let me know what you'd like from my list and I'm sure we can work out some sort of trade.

Thanks for responding.
    Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my list so far, anything else just ask

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok everyone,
    I got an email today, I won't say who it was, but you made it so that it wouldn't reveal your email address and i couldn't send you a reply. I'm gonna try going back to your trade list and sending you an email from there.

Anyone who responds.. please allow me to email you back from my email inbox.

I hate even using email cause i get so many spams in there, even my own email provider spams me... but since we have no way to send Personal messages on this site; could you please either respond here or if you must email me, allow me to reply from there.

Thanks everyone..
    Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: I updated my list today

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello again everyone,

I've just about finished the trade list. I still have a few varieties i could add, and possibly might even remove some that i wouldn't have so much of... but for the most part it is done.

Please check it out and let me know if you have anything to trade.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: New and Improved Trade List

• ddkcat
    16 years ago

Hi - I have some heirloom tomatoes - would you have some flowers to trade? Could I send you my list? Doreen.

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Doreen...
    The only flower seeds i have right now are some orange marigolds and some orange/red marigolds that i saved from my aunts flowers. I could however go out and harvest some snapdragon seeds since they are ready to harvest. Then i have some rose of sharron from a bush on the side of the house that is loaded with seeds right now. It's a purple flower and that's about all i know about it.
    Oh.. and i have a box full of those Valley Green brand flower seed packets that i bought at a drug store last year for 5/$1 that i never used.. still unopened. I could get ya a list of those if you want. Probably just zinnias, wildflower mixes and cut flowers... i'd have to check and see what's there.

But i would be most interested in any heirloom tomatoes you would want to trade... let me know.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my regular trade list

• american_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi again everyone.. if any of you have emailed me and not gotten a response back please remind me. I think i've found everyones emails.

Cindy if you are reading this i seem to have lost your email where you discussed what it was you wanted in trade for your flower seeds. I remember reading it though.

I just received the flower seeds yesterday and now i have your address.. thing is i can't find any email address to even ask you what i'm sposed to send back. I'll keep searching just in case you don't see this. It's gotta be in my inbox somewhere.

Doreen... back to your question about flower seeds. I have some more i found from last years trades that i never got around to planting. Probably wouldn't get around to planting most of these next season either. Here's what i have: Desert Willow (Tree/shrub), Mixed poppies, Giant Gold Yucca, Red Crepe Myrtle, Desert Christmas Cactus, Hyacinth vine (purple), Copper Plant, Fountain Grass, Mexican Sunflower, and Cassia Alata Candula (Candle Tree yellow).

Anyone else interested in those flowers, you're welcome to anything Doreen dosen't want. Whatever i have left come spring i'll plant. I'm not gonna put them on my list since i have only one packet of each.

Still got tons of vegetable seeds though if anyone is interested.

DAve

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are my veggies.. take a look!

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH